THAMES TRADERS

Just wondering if this is the same place, 50 years on ? Old houses been demolished and replaced perhaps ? Trader and the driver have gone though.

Here is one of the 6 leggers for you mother trucker. Taken at Salfords Pamona Dock.
Looks like it’s got that 75 badge aswell Fergie … with the 8 cylinder Gardner. :laughing:

Bewick:

Chris Webb:
They had Thames Traders at Payar Lebar Airport Singapore in the 60s…

Hiya Chris is the geezer with the push bike you? Cheers Dennis.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
As they say in Scotland Dennis :- “Shut yer puss,boil yer heead and GTF” - not sure what they say in errrrrrrrrrrr Westmoreland or t’Furness District of Lancs.Kendal were t’ capital of Westmoreland weren’t it? K Shoes and Quiggins? Mints and one or two hauliers… :grimacing:
I were in t’RAF in Singapore so nowt to do with civvie Thames Traders - nice to see 'em though :smiley:

Got to go,a Ramsey and two Castletown trunks to do :sunglasses:

ANOTHER great old photo. not just of the Trader, but everything in, and around it.
Keep-em-coming !!
Is the dock still there ? or long gone ?

TIPIT:

Fergie47:

Stanfield:

What a fantastic and evocative photo “Stanfield”. Driver nipping in for a quick cup of tea or lunch perhaps.!!
Who was he ? is that street still there ? what happened to the wagon ?

If memory serves, didn’t they do a Trader 75, presumably that was an up-rated engine to cope with the tag axle and higher GVW. What was the original HP ?
Didn’t they also fit an 8 cyl Gardner 8LXB engine in them ? Think I may have a photo somewhere !!! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:
Sorry Den, only kiddin !!! :wink:

OK OK you P*taker !! I think the “75” designation was right at the latter end of production and was classed as a 7:5 tonner I don’t think the engine was “tweaked” it was just the stronger springs and I think they could have gone onto air over Hydrualic brakes in place of Vaccum (which were st) The engine was about 90/95BHP from memory but mine did have the 8LXB/Fuller/Eaton (and a 10ft flat!!!)No doubt some of the Trader experts will put me straight.Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Fergie47:

Stanfield:

What a fantastic and evocative photo “Stanfield”. Driver nipping in for a quick cup of tea or lunch perhaps.!!

If memory serves, didn’t they do a Trader 75, presumably that was an up-rated engine to cope with the tag axle and higher GVW. What was the original HP ?
Didn’t they also fit an 8 cyl Gardner 8LXB engine in them ? Think I may have a photo somewhere !!! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

OK OK you P*taker !! I think the “75” designation was right at the latter end of production and was classed as a 7:5 tonner I don’t think the engine was “tweaked” it was just the stronger springs and I think they could have gone onto air over Hydrualic brakes in place of Vaccum (which were st) The engine was about 90/95BHP from memory but mine did have the 8LXB/Fuller/Eaton (and a 10ft flat!!!)No doubt some of the Trader experts will put me straight.Cheers Dennis.

A Mk 2 version was introduced in mid-1962. Externally it is very easy to differentiate between Mk1 and Mk2 versions; the Mk1 has the words THAMESTRADER in red on a chrome strip along the bottom of the bonnet opening and the white painted grill between the headlights has a vertical divider with a red circular badge with 4 stars, whereas the Mk2 has just the word THAMES and TRADER in white letters spaced out between the headlights replacing the divider and badge. The Mk2 Diesel engined variants had either a 4D or 6D chrome badge on each front wing, on the Mk1 it was a squarish chrome badge with either a red painted 4, 6, 4D or 6D to indicate the engine configuration. The lower edge of the badge had a horizontal chrome strip running the length of the lower part of the wing.

Dave the Renegade:

Bewick:

Fergie47:

Stanfield:

A Mk 2 version was introduced in mid-1962. Externally it is very easy to differentiate between Mk1 and Mk2 versions; the Mk1 has the words THAMESTRADER in red on a chrome strip along the bottom of the bonnet opening and the white painted grill between the headlights has a vertical divider with a red circular badge with 4 stars, whereas the Mk2 has just the word THAMES and TRADER in white letters spaced out between the headlights replacing the divider and badge. The Mk2 Diesel engined variants had either a 4D or 6D chrome badge on each front wing, on the Mk1 it was a squarish chrome badge with either a red painted 4, 6, 4D or 6D to indicate the engine configuration. The lower edge of the badge had a horizontal chrome strip running the length of the lower part of the wing.

Steady on Dave your baffling us lads with science here!!! What sort of badge did the Traders that were fitted with the 8LXB have? Anon.

Fergie47:
ANOTHER great old photo. not just of the Trader, but everything in, and around it.
Keep-em-coming !!

TIPIT:

Was LSM taken over by Farnley Sand and Gravel or was it one and the same firm.Dennis.

Fergie47:
Keep-em-coming !!

TIPIT:

I think it was around the early 70’s when Pomona Dock closed, this is how the entrance to it looks nowadays.

maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc … 68.88,0,5

maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc … o-13979204

Bewick:
Was LSM taken over by Farnley Sand and Gravel or was it one and the same firm.Dennis.

Sorry Dennis, I don’t know about that. Paul.

when i drove for joseph lucas out of acton london depot in 1963/64 we had 2 thames trader 6 wheelers both were fitted with experimetal turbochargers fitted by c.a.v. wich was part of lucas and both had david brown gearboxes ,they had a lot of power at that time.

THANKS FOR THE PHOTO TIPIT BRINGS BACK MEMORIES THE TRADERS SMILES FROM BLUCHER NEWCASTLE HAD WERE FITTED WITH 5 SPEED DAVID BROWN BOXES IN THEM ,GIDDY UP,

8LXB engine in a Thames Trader?

Oh, maybe thats why they brought out the k series to accommodate all the extra cylinders at the front. :smiley:

Or maybe it was at the back of the cab, when I saw one,I thought all that plating was for petrol regs ! when all along it was an extension to accommodate the super engine.

So all the head polishing and engine tweaking on the wrecker engine at Thos. S. Whitney Ford Dealer in Liverpool was in vain? Could have just dropped in the big engine ! :stuck_out_tongue:

My late brother used to drive one for Troughtons Transport. They were cattle hauliers & ran several Thames Traders. Johns was a long wheel based one & had a Drews Body on. I recall a salesman friend of my fathers, his name was Les Meredith, calling one evening & showing me a photograph of a Thames Trader with a Drews body on it brand new & ready for delivery. I’ve wished many times that I’d asked for that photo.

BB

Here’s one.Note the name on the door.(I have had a few of them round my house doing jobs in the past)

JOHN

Hiya,
Only drove a trader once a distance of about ten yards only moved it to free my own motor up, remember it was a very wet Monday morning so had to switch the wipers on they was vacuum operated things and at that very moment they decided to develope a fault and spat a dollop of black smelly goo in my face and down the front of my nice clean first day shirt,the regular driver said that seemingly this was a common problem and was pleased it happened when he was’nt driving it, was this a regular occurance??.
thanks harry long retired.

HI HARRY
YOU ARE DEAD ON THERE ABSOLUTE USELESS THE WPERS, I ALWAYS CARRIED AN OLD FAIRY LIQUID BOTTLE FULL OF WATER WITH ME BIT HIT AND MISS BUT IT HELPED

Remember seeing these old traders and trailers regularly as a boy,found this pic on another thread on here and thought
it should go here aswell :sunglasses: off loading by hand too :wink:

Chris Webb:
They had Thames Traders at Payar Lebar Airport Singapore in the 60s…

i stayed opposite that very airport for 5 years … :smiley: long gone are the Thames traders though its a militry airfield nowadays well since Changi took over as the main airport…that is …

Loaded and ready to go.

JOHN