THAMES TRADERS

Odd question time. I remember that George Wimpey, mainly involved with earthmoving I think, had lots of Traders. They were yellow with silver chassis.

My question is does anybody know that, as the orders must have been substantial, if Ford supplied them in those colours or did Wimpey spend a lot of money painting them up for what was mostly muckshifting?

All Wimpey’s equipment was in the Black and Yellow, these colours were often favoured for the Plant side of transport so wouldn’t have thought Ford would paint them up especially. Franky.

Hi backsplice, I have searched various shipping forums galleries etc for SS/ MV Zealand without any success, it looks like an 1960s build ship but who it belonged to I cannot find out.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

M.V.ZEALAND
Ship No 440
Built at the Henry Robb Shipyard in Leith, Scotland as an order from the local Currie Line Ltd of Leith.

The M.V.ZEALAND was a modern diesel driven cargo/passenger ship built for trade between Leith, Hull and Hamburg and the Baltic ports.

She was 2300 tons with a length of 270 feet (L.B.P.) and a moulded breadth of 45 feet with design draught at 25 feet and 6 inches,

She was launched from the Henry Robb shipyard on 10th of September 1954, in what was a very busy and profitable time for the Company.

Thanks for the shipping info whisperingsmith, I wonder where she was bound when ghis photo was taken?
Cheers, Leyland 600.

whisperingsmith:
M.V.ZEALAND
Ship No 440
Built at the Henry Robb Shipyard in Leith, Scotland as an order from the local Currie Line Ltd of Leith.

The M.V.ZEALAND was a modern diesel driven cargo/passenger ship built for trade between Leith, Hull and Hamburg and the Baltic ports.

She was 2300 tons with a length of 270 feet (L.B.P.) and a moulded breadth of 45 feet with design draught at 25 feet and 6 inches,

She was launched from the Henry Robb shipyard on 10th of September 1954, in what was a very busy and profitable time for the Company.

I joined her in January 1958 at that time she had been renamed SHETLAND and we were on the Baltic run all that time till the end of 58 when I left I too have difficulty finding info of her being the " Shetland "

Leyland600:
Thanks for the shipping info whisperingsmith, I wonder where she was bound when ghis photo was taken?
Cheers, Leyland 600.

probably Portugal or Spain looks like a Fotoflight pic taken in the English Channel

Four foreign Traders, and an English one…all off a French Forum

hohoho

Hi Moomoland. I always as a kid liked the Ford van there, the fore runner to the Transit. My father had one, column shift iirc. There is one on the D series post as well. Can’t remember its proper name though!

Paul

Paul John:
Hi Moomoland. I always as a kid liked the Ford van there, the fore runner to the Transit. My father had one, column shift iirc. There is one on the D series post as well. Can’t remember its proper name though!

Paul

Thames 15 cwt, though they also made a 12 cwt version as well. The Police had one with the six cylinder Zephyr engine in it, that caught a few speeding motorists back in the sixties!! :open_mouth:

Pete.

Does anyone remember a van which had a Ford 4d diesel amidships connected to a compressor which also connected to the drive axle for road use ( red fuel). my thoughts are a Ford but thinking vaguely about a Standard Atlas ,i know it had a column change because i had to deliver it some where and remember it was noisey as well . ? no i hav’nt been on the xmas drink.

windrush:

Paul John:

Paul

Thames 15 cwt, though they also made a 12 cwt version as well. The Police had one with the six cylinder Zephyr engine in it, that caught a few speeding motorists back in the sixties!! :open_mouth:

Pete.

Thames 15 cwt

little%20ford.jpg

Pete and Carl, thanks for your replies. I always thought the Ford had a little more character than the J4. On the smaller side my father ran an Austin A35, Morris 1000, Ford Anglia and a Hillman imp van. They were used to deliver fresh meat and veg locally. Great memories as a young passenger.

Paul

We had a Thames 15cwt at Alfie Ellis Transport for a workshop van with a diesel engine, the column change often jammed or jumped out of gear so we had to get under and tweak the linkage to carry on, don’t know why we didn’t just repair it but that’s typical of a fitters van!
Franky.

toshboy:
Does anyone remember a van which had a Ford 4d diesel amidships connected to a compressor which also connected to the drive axle for road use ( red fuel). my thoughts are a Ford but thinking vaguely about a Standard Atlas ,i know it had a column change because i had to deliver it some where and remember it was noisey as well . ? no i hav’nt been on the xmas drink.

Yes I remember those, same as the 15cwt Ford 400E but called a POWERTRUC. The Powertruc name was on the front instead of the Ford badge. They had no rad grille as they didn’t need one! :wink:

Pete.

windrush:

toshboy:

Yes I remember those, same as the 15cwt Ford 400E but called a POWERTRUC. The Powertruc name was on the front instead of the Ford badge. They had no rad grille as they didn’t need one! :wink:

Thanks Pete , i can rest now -picture as well ,good man ! :smiley:

Pete.

Parked in Edward Beck’s depot at Greg Street Stockport in 1962, when new, are a pair of Ford Thames 400E 15 cwt service vans Reg Nos UBB 854 and SJA 945.