tanker companies

Chris Webb:
Eyup,Wirralpete.Yes I remember all those firms you mentioned but no pics sorry.AS Jones were in Bromboro’ and taken over by P & O.THomas Allen HQ was at Stanford-le-Hope in Essex but not sure what happened to them.RTS,Runcorn Transport Services carried mostly acids if I remember right and were always flying about.Catchpole were from E.Port I think,same as OB transport and were working out of Shell Chemicals Stanlow when I was on tanker work in 70’s-which reminds me of a scrawl somebody wrote in the muck on the back of my tank. “Mummy,Mummy is daddy dead? No darling he’s waiting to load at Stanlow”. Anyroad Smith & Robinson HQ was Rothwell ,Leeds but they had a depot in T.Park as I used to clean out there.Don’t know much about rest but Castrol had a depot in Hyde and used to pick their drivers up regular and drop 'em at the Dog & Partridge on Sheffield side of Woodhead to pick their wagons up after a dodgy night out.I was on nights then running back to Maltby ,Rotherham ex L’pool or E.Port.
Was that cafe on the A57 on the left after leaving Cadishead going towards Warrington? If so it were t’best fried spam sandwich in all Lancs.We used to call it T’wooden hut and it was always spotless and ■■■■ and the women who worked there spot on.
Don’t forget , it’s a wise sardine that knows it’s own tin.

Thomas Allan sold out to P and O, they closed the depot after a few years and it is now a housing estate

hi wheelnut, called in to see ruudi last year,still there, same old seadog

1 Like

I sorted your image links out for you Andrew

andrew brick:

2 pictures of my oil tankers,1st one a few years ago at the West Mid. show, longing to be older and drive a tanker :confused:
2nd one my current truck, driving for Countrywide with a FM in mid wales, and longing to be younger. :frowning:

I’ve managed to locate some more old pics, an S+R volvo, anyone any good with photo shop to loose the border ?

And an early 88, dont reconise the name, are they still around

One for the M/E

There you go sniffy.

JOHN

Two old tanker/chemical companys here.
Monsanto Chemicals Ruabon

Murgatroyds which later became Hays Chemicals then Albion Chemicals and is now Brenntag uk @ Sandbach Cheshire
Photos taken by P Davies.

Two great photos John :smiley: .
Monsanto at Ruabon brings back memories.I got told off for calling Acrefair as it is spelt,it should have been Accrefar or summat,I think that is where Monsanto’s place was,not far from Air Products.We used to take 5000 gall loads of benzene in there and it was all drummed off,took forever,but eventually they put a storage tank in :smiley: Is the place still going?

Here’s some old companies.
Berk Chemicals,later Steetley Chemicals I think.One of Harold Woods contract MK3s.

Midland Road Tanker Services from Aldridge and a Harold Wood.

What happened to Laportes?

Crosfield Chemicals,I presume it’s Joseph Crosfield who had a place in Warrington

Chris Webb:
Two great photos John :smiley: .
Monsanto at Ruabon brings back memories.I got told off for calling Acrefair as it is spelt,it should have been Accrefar or summat,I think that is where Monsanto’s place was,not far from Air Products.We used to take 5000 gall loads of benzene in there and it was all drummed off,took forever,but eventually they put a storage tank in :smiley: Is the place still going?

Here’s some old companies.
Berk Chemicals,later Steetley Chemicals I think.One of Harold Woods contract MK3s.

Midland Road Tanker Services from Aldridge and a Harold Wood.

What happened to Laportes?

Crosfield Chemicals,I presume it’s Joseph Crosfield who had a place in Warrington

I used to go into Joseph Crosfields Chris, never worked out why you could not use that internal bridge to cross from one side of the canal to the other. It seems that after Levers, Crosfield became part of ICI.

Does anybody remember the Cleveland County Tanker advisory routes in the late 70’s?

Looks like the wagon heading towards Wilton was carrying methanol (If I’m right about 2PE 1230). :unamused:

Hi Chris.Spot on with the 1230 Methanol the only differance these days is that it is now 2WE 1230 Fammable and carries a secondary hazard of Toxic so it would have an extra diamond to the right hand side of the main label.Also remember the tanker routes of the seventies
John

A couple more Tanker companys both from the North East.
Imperial have in the last 12month been taken over by the Hargeaves group and most recently merged with Stillers and moved into there depot at preston farm.Imperial had a management buyout in 1989 from ICI.

Bulk Haul owned by Steve Gibson (chairman of Middlesboro football club)

Another one of Peter Lynch Tankers from Sandbach
ERF.EC11

John Bailey Transport also from Sandbach(John normally pulls tanks and in 2006 he moved into the yard vacated by Direct North West Ltd @ Station Rd Sandbach)

Just wondered …Have any of you lads got any pics of the turquise Albright & Wilsons lorries? My uncle used to drive for them until their demise ,from the Widnes depot . The lorries he drove were Mk1 & 2 Atki’s & Seddon 400s, Regards Tony .

Hi Tony .This is the only one I have but its not in colour sorry mate.There are some more either in this thread or the companys around ■■■■■■■ thread.
JOHN

Plus this one but its an oldie again in black & white.

Thanks John :smiley: :smiley: I’ll have a look . :wink:

Stanfield:
Hi Chris.Spot on with the 1230 Methanol the only differance these days is that it is now 2WE 1230 Fammable and carries a secondary hazard of Toxic so it would have an extra diamond to the right hand side of the main label.Also remember the tanker routes of the seventies
John

Hi Stanfield, I’m surprised that methanol would have had a different EAC, but the pic that Chris referred to seems to have got lost in cyberspace. :frowning:

Now you can call me sad (or other appropriate name of your choice :laughing: :laughing: ) but I’ve kept every dangerous goods lawbook I’ve ever had since I qualified as a DGSA and ADR instructor. :open_mouth:
I’ve checked my old ACL and found that methanol has had the EAC of 2WE and a secondary toxic hazard since at least 1996, and it’s still 2WE to this day. I’ve no reason whatsoever to doubt Chris, but is it possible that Chris hasn’t quite remembered one of the digits correctly?
Or was the missing picture clearly showing what Chris said? Either way up, it’s very interesting to me.
As you probably know, one wrong digit in a UN number means a completely different substance.

One other observation I have of the pic you posted is that the white toxic placard as shown has been illegal since 10/05/2004.
On that date, CDG 2004 came into force and revoked the whole of CDGCPL 1996 and a whole bunch of other ‘old’ UK dangerous goods Regs.
In CDGCPL 1996, the secondary hazard placards were correct not to have a UN class number in the lower half. From 10/05/2004, the correct UN class number has been required to be shown on secondary hazard placards. In the case of methanol, the relevant figure for the secondary hazard placard is a “6.”

:bulb: Could somebody please rescue that pic and post it again, cos I’d really like to see it??

Hi Dave
The picture was put on by Chris Webb and it was out of a booklet that the Cleveland County along with the likes of ICI put out in the 70s with advisory routes for Tankers & dangerous goods moving around cleveland and at that time it would have been PE and no secondary hazard which the pic clearly showed.All your other info is spot on cheers.
JOHN.

Stanfield:
Hi Dave
The picture was put on by Chris Webb and it was out of a booklet that the Cleveland County along with the likes of ICI put out in the 70s with advisory routes for Tankers & dangerous goods moving around cleveland and at that time it would have been PE and no secondary hazard which the pic clearly showed.All your other info is spot on cheers.
JOHN.

Here they are.I have been organising photobucket and they were deleted. :unamused:

And as a bonus,a Tremcard.

Hi Chris Webb and Stanfield,

:open_mouth: Blimey guys, that was quick!! :smiley:

I’d like to thank both of you for clearing that up for me and I doff my cap in your direction. (RESPECT.)

Chris, I didn’t doubt you for a moment, honestly mate!! :wink:

As I mentioned, I’ve got the old ACLs back as far as 1996, so imagine my surprise and amazement at suddenly finding out something of this magnitude. :open_mouth:

I remember the tanker routes around Teeside - and the Hanson’s NitroBenzene contract - and Herr Flick - and The Yorkshireman.
Here is a pic from before I went to Hanson’s - it’s my first attempt at owner/driving for Hoyers: