tanker companies

Thanks for that Wheelnut.Yes Townson not Townend,but have I got it wrong with ICI Heysham? I’m sure I took Methanol in there once but not sure as could have been Thornton.Have been to Heysham Port several times as IOM ferry runs there but can’t mek me mind up where ICI was.
The old memory is fading a bit , pal

Chris Webb:
Thanks for that Wheelnut.Yes Townson not Townend,but have I got it wrong with ICI Heysham? I’m sure I took Methanol in there once but not sure as could have been Thornton.Have been to Heysham Port several times as IOM ferry runs there but can’t mek me mind up where ICI was.

You are probably right too Chris. I only remember going to Cleveleys but ICI had factories everywhere then and I think Heysham was a regular destination for Townsons, maybe even had a small depot there.

Post some pics from your days if you have any. I would be interested in them.

If there’s one thing I regret now it’s not taking some photos when on the road.I’ve got some taken when on fridge work but it was never the same as tanker work in spite of all safety regs introduced in 70’s-- ADR etc but was necessary.However I have a contact in Sheffield ex A.E. Evans same as me and I’ll ask him if he’s got any.

Chris Webb:

There was an ICI factory at Heysham as well as at Thornton (Hillhouse). As I recall (going back 30 years), they manufactured fertliser at Heysham.

I worked for Tommy Allen out of Stanford Le Hope in Essex, we then went to P&O roadtanks and as usual it all went down hill i’m affraid

Eyup,Richiessex.I used to steam out at Tommy Allens after tipping at Mobil Coryton then away to London and Coastal Oil Wharves in Canvey to load for anywhere.I worked for A.E.Evans Regent Transport Ripple Road,Barking but was from Sheffield depot.
There were some great cafes on the A13 but I do remember Micks and the “bacon,egg and babble”.

Chris Webb:

dafdave] Chris was ici not at wyre dock nr fleetwood?

dafdave:

Chris Webb:

Wyre Dock was the old fish dock at the end of Dock Street, and where the old station used to be. The ICI plant is at Hillhouse, Thornton, on the way into Fleetwood.

A reminder that Western BRS did tankers. robert

240 Gardner:

dafdave:

Chris Webb:

Wyre Dock was the old fish dock at the end of Dock Street, and where the old station used to be. The ICI plant is at Hillhouse, Thornton, on the way into Fleetwood.

dafdave] Thanks for the info mate put it down to owd age.

Just to keep things ticking over,here’s a few more.
L.P.G. Morley
Barworth Scunthorpe
Marshalls Scunthorpe

Sorry ,forgot these as well(owd age and definitely poverty creeping in)
W.H.Palmer,East london
Tanker Hire Scunthorpe,part of CLS group
R.Rankin Teeside
Manchester Tankers
Midland - Yorkshire Tar Distillers Kilnhurst
S.Jones, Aldridge
Somebody from Cellerhead,Stoke-on-t.,can’t remember name.

Chris Webb:
Somebody from Cellerhead,Stoke-on-t.,can’t remember name.

Edwin Shirley’s?

Now I remember,it was Shirleys Transport from Cellarhead.
Edwin Shirley Trucking was the pop group remover-still going I think.

Cleveland Tankers, Think Rankin joined that lot.

Shawfleet, (still running)

Hanson.

AT Stevens

Lock of Headcorn

Sevilles Tankers Manchester

My old EC11 for A.M Bell, Macclesfield.
Any old Progressive waste Disposal of Stockport drivers on here at all? Would love to see some old snaps from me old mans time on there.

Hays Chemicals at the old Lancots Lane sulphuric plant St Helens.

The one and only Scania that J L Townson purchased.It was based at the depot in Morecambe and driven from new by driver Ken Holt.They acquired two Scania 80s which were N reg when they took over the company J L Randell of Heysham in 1976 but they soon got shut of them.

J L TOWNSON 10 SCANIA.JPG
J L TOWNSON 16 UVM112S.jpg
I have posted these on this thread before but due to the greed of photobucket they have vanished along with many many more people have posted in the past.

2 more photos of Dads days at B.E.T., First one is of the ERF He had for a couple of weeks , sorry about the photo me dicking about with my camera and filters . The second one is Dad leaving Baxters Warrington ( my boss let park there when he was home ) again me dicking about with camera and filters

Dad took this Not sure where so any info will be gratefull