E S Jones Tankers. 8 legger?

Stanfield:
E S Jones Tankers.AEC 8 legger

It’s got a Maudslay radiator, so might it be a Meritor? Robert

robert1952:

Stanfield:
E S Jones Tankers.AEC 8 legger

It’s got a Maudslay radiator, so might it be a Meritor? Robert

Thanks Robert spot on mate I have just googled it, :blush: :blush: cheers :smiley:

Calor Transport ERF.

hi all,
having been brought up on the wirral and having a dad who worked for castrol on the tankers, i was wondering if their are any people on here who used to work for/have pictures of the following firms

as jones
thomas allen
rts
catchpole
smith and robinsons
burmah/castrol
philmac
van leer

also driving down the a57 yeterday from irlam i passed the cafe on the right that used to be called the bug hut when i was a kid anyone remember it it?, the owner was an american called ■■■■ i think?.

I think you mean the little green shack that used to have a coke stove and you could get a spam sarnie with a pint pot of tea ,its still there but is now a portakabin.Am i right?

regards dave

yep thats the one dave, have heard that ■■■■ th american went back home, he was getting on a bit when i was a kid so dont know if hes still knocking ‘sunny side up’ egg butties out :laughing:

I dont know about pete but that portakabin has been there about 8/10yrs and is run by three women.

regards dave

wirralpete:
hi all,
having been brought up on the wirral and having a dad who worked for castrol on the tankers, i was wondering if their are any people on here who used to work for/have pictures of the following firms

as jones
thomas allen
rts
catchpole
smith and robinsons
burmah/castrol
philmac
van leer

Didnt get any pictures of those old companies. I never got any of my old trucks either. Have used the cleaning stations though. My old boss had an album of all his dads fleet of Esso tankers,

smith and robinsons used to have a depot where i live in rothwell but that shut down years ago and is now a housing estate.

One here for Grumpy Old Man
Permission to use photo given by Graham Newell flickr.com/photos/62532775@N03/
Fred Chappell of Batley 1964 reg ERF CWX387B

pete smith:

That looks as though it might have had the RR straight 8 petrol engine in it. I know S&R at Rothwell had a few, same ERF model, they used to go up Standedge (loaded) like a rat up a drainpipe. Fuel consumption was “disappointing” :smiley:

Stanfield:
One here for Grumpy Old Man
Permission to use photo given by Graham Newell flickr.com/photos/62532775@N03/
Fred Chappell of Batley 1964 reg ERF CWX387B

Some cracking photo’s on his Flickr pages definitely worth a look :smiley:

Wheel Nut:

Sniffy:
Thinking of some of the nasties still being carried around, NOT including some of the exotic chemical mixes and waste streams

Phosphoric acid / phosphorus oxychloride / phosphoric trichloride / molton phosphurus
Nitric acid / Oleum / Phenol / Cresol / Formaldahyde
VCM / Acrylantrile / VAM / Cyanide
Chlorine / HCL / Caustic Hypo / other chlor alks etc
different mixes and strengths of sulphuric acids /Molten Sulphur
Sulphur trichloride / So3 / So2
Carbon Disulphide (now rare) / Hydrogen Peroxide /

Googled “Vinatex Staveley” - brings up some horror stories !!

We all had a claim to fame though, no-one ever suffered from a common cold or blocked sinuses!

British Celanese drivers at Spondon used to park their wagons as close as possible to the Ether plant.They never failed to fire up in a morning apparently. :smiley:

These photos were taken today at the rest and be thankful Argyll.

Campbeltown harbour today.

One photo at the rest and be thankful,the other at Campbeltown harbour.

Sadler Tankers acquired these Fodens & Tanks when they bought out Cowburn & Cowper of Trafford Park during the 80s (not my photos)

Wheel Nut:

Chris Webb:
Castrol had a depot at Hyde years ago and their second depot was round the back of the Dog and Partridge on Sheffield side of Woodhead. :smiley:

Fletcher Miller
Alma Works
Furnace Street
Flowery Field
Hyde

I remember it well as Castrol Hyde. I have mentioned the square wooden tanks upstairs and the smells. It probably fuelled my addiction for Castrol R

It seems a shame that this thread had dropped down to page 5. :frowning:
There is a bit here about Fletcher Miller before they changed to Castrol.

hydonian.blogspot.com.au/search/ … %20Millers