tanker companies

Tankerman*:
I worked for Gilbraith Tankers for thirty years.
A very old established company who sold out to the Hargreaves Group.

I worked out of Shell Chemics at Stanlow from 1970 to about 1976 then BP Saltend for about 10 years and after that mostly ICI work.

Three tankers below from an early one to one of the later ones.

Would this picture have been taken on the site that eventually had the M65 running past it?

No they bought the land for that depot in 1968 just before I started.
That lorry was gone by then.
It would have been taken at the old yard nr Accrington brick yard (Nori), that was kept on for the General Haulage and tipper fleet.
The company was split with one Gilbraith having the tankers at the new depot and his brother keeping the rest. they were both part owners of Gilbraith Commercials, Leyland dealers which was later transferred to Botany Bay near Chorley, later to be sold of to a retail outlet company.

Russell.

Tankerman*:

I worked out of Shell Chemics at Stanlow from 1970 to about 1976 then BP Saltend for about 10 years and after that mostly ICI work.

Russell.

Imperial Tankers also sold out to Hargreaves, (2007) we inherited PYP and PYG (another DAF)at Billingham, I drove both at least for a couple of shifts. Regards, Mizzo.

Tankerman*:
No they bought the land for that depot in 1968 just before I started.
That lorry was gone by then.
It would have been taken at the old yard nr Accrington brick yard (Nori), that was kept on for the General Haulage and tipper fleet.
The company was split with one Gilbraith having the tankers at the new depot and his brother keeping the rest. they were both part owners of Gilbraith Commercials, Leyland dealers which was later transferred to Botany Bay near Chorley, later to be sold of to a retail outlet company.

Russell.

This was the yard they had in Accrington IIRC.I used to go there quite often during the 60s/70s for parts for the Leylands & Scammell tippers we ran at J Biestys.(photo from Tipit)

Yes that is the old yard where the tippers and flats were stabled, the tankers moved from there in 1967/8 to the yard behind the Council offices (which is now the M65) and next to the canal at Clayton le Moors.
The Leyland dealership which Gilbraith owned was near the town on Hyndburn road, that’s where all the spares were and the repairs, sales and bodyshop were there also.

I have the photo you posted, taken at the old yard next to the brickworks, among my collection of well over 500 photos of Gilobraith vehicles and depots.

The photo below shows the yard with the Council offices being demolished before the M65 was built.

Russell

Three for you Mizzo.
A Hargreaves unit with a Gilbraith Hypo tank.

A mixed fleet,

The DAF fleet with the PY* reg, I guess you will have driven one or two.

Notice PYP has the Atki knights head on the grill, it was driven by Atkiman (Peter Davison) who always put the badge on his motors, he says it doubles their value.
I must credit him for a lot of my Gilbraith photos.

Russell.

Tankerman*:

Russell.

Hey tankerman.
Do you remember jed dolan r.i.p.lived in bolton used to run up scotch for gillys for many yrs,good mate of mine when i worked for parkers tpt bolton in mid 70s.
regards dave.

Good photos Tankerman, yes I’ve driven one or two of those, they were smart motors and PYP did’nt have the knights head on when we got it of course!! shame about the green ones! I can’t make out whos pulling the hypo barrel. Regards Mizzo.

Hi Dave, yes I remember Jed Dolan. First night out he had a Gilbraith’s was with me at the Carlisle “lorry” stop, he jumped on to the stage and took over the mike from the group, he was a fantastic singer. He also was a great dancer, he did a jive with his wife at Gilbraith’s Christmas party and I was amazed how light he was on his feet considering he must have been 20 stone.
He was a great character and I could tell you a few stories about the trouble he used to get into and talk his way out of it.

It was a big shock when he died, RIP Ged.

Russell.

Tankerman*:
Hi Dave, yes I remember Jed Dolan. First night out he had a Gilbraith’s was with me at the Carlisle “lorry” stop, he jumped on to the stage and took over the mike from the group, he was a fantastic singer. He also was a great dancer, he did a jive with his wife at Gilbraith’s Christmas party and I was amazed how light he was on his feet considering he must have been 20 stone.
He was a great character and I could tell you a few stories about the trouble he used to get into and talk his way out of it.

It was a big shock when he died, RIP Ged.

Russell.

Aye russell that was jed,theres a few tales i could you myself some of them funny,very sad loss.
regards dave.

HI Folks .I remember S&R wen i wer a lad had two or four E R F S with R R petrol engines on a special job only done abount 4 miles m p g . Some thing to do with the load getting cold . Yours Barry Waddy

One of Harold Woods AEC Monarch trying to get somwhere in an hurry- oop’s.Taken in 1960
transportphotos.com/road/photos
GM00091-01.jpg
GM00091-05 Harold Wood  AEC Monarch.jpg
GM00091-02.jpg

Oh for a return to the days when firms ran something different, that wasn’t just painted white with 3 letters on the cab door that mean b****r all to anyone!

Tank wash time for Dawson’s & CPP Sugar

IMG_0016.jpg

Lawrence Dunbar:

Now that Gentleman is a proper Fuel Tanker driver, cap/boiler suit/tie, 23 years my dad looked like that on Mobil :slight_smile:

A couple here from my old company.Mercs we aquired when we bought the company through a management buyout,and then we went onto Scania’s I may have put these on before (my apoligies if so)
W677DWY.JPG
X149LRT.JPG
MX54HVF.JPG

A couple more of an ex Direct motor for Stanfield

France and Spain

tanktrotter:
Here are a few photo’s of my time at ISOTANK as a driver then as a sub contractor until november 2008 when the work started to go down as the resection started.

Are you Phil by any chance, mates with Mad Mick and his ‘recycled Messerschmitt?’ :smiley:

wirralpete:
hi all,
having been brought up on the wirral and having a dad who worked for castrol on the tankers, i was wondering if their are any people on here who used to work for/have pictures of the following firms

as jones
thomas allen
rts
catchpole
smith and robinsons
burmah/castrol
philmac
van leer

also driving down the a57 yeterday from irlam i passed the cafe on the right that used to be called the bug hut when i was a kid anyone remember it it?, the owner was an american called ■■■■ i think?.

Hi Pete, I was a contractor (not a driver by the way) for A S Jones from about 1990-1993. I can recall a few of the drivers there, such as: Dennis Pickering, George ‘Madhead’ Madden, and one or two others. I mostly knew the lads in the workshop and I believe Kenny Reid (assistant workshop manager) is still drving, think it’s a small oil tanker company that do a bit in Stanlow.