Switch of career advice?

Do it you wont look back. Best career ever.

Everyone is friendly. Noone looks down on you. People wave as you pass them. Free tea and coffee on every drop you fo sometimes even a bite to eat.

Its an amazing journey. Beats sitting in an office.

Go on do it.

Come back after 12 months and let us know how you are enjoying it. Your hair will grow more and sparkle more. Your blood pressure will drop drematically and you will be stress free.

Its the best job in the world all be it a bit below average wage. Go on. Go on.

Do it.

cgscott:
Do it you wont look back. Best career ever.

Everyone is friendly. Noone looks down on you. People wave as you pass them. Free tea and coffee on every drop you fo sometimes even a bite to eat.

Its an amazing journey. Beats sitting in an office.

Go on do it.

Come back after 12 months and let us know how you are enjoying it. Your hair will grow more and sparkle more. Your blood pressure will drop drematically and you will be stress free.

Its the best job in the world all be it a bit below average wage. Go on. Go on.

Do it.

Well you got that part correct.

Your first month you’ll earn £300 tops. Your first quarter, £2k. Your first year, £15k. The pallet firms will give you a start without question, and when you move your first tonne of slate chippings across a rutted pavement you’ll find out why. Boxes are good if you’re into meditation/opium smoking. Night trunking is easy, sleeping through your neighbour using a chainsaw isn’t.

Still fun after 30 years though.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

I agree with everyone else - don’t do it.

Back in 2009 when I got my licence I did bits and pieces of work for folk. Sub contractor for Asda and B & Q. Containers and mostly deckers. Good stuff.

Once that ended, I was offered some work.by an agency. All good… Daily rate was decent on the face of it…
Trunking a trailer to another RDC about 2.5 hours away, wait for tip or swap and return. Happy days… .It was only when I asked questions it became.apparent that each shift you did two trailers per shift, not one…Day rate, so no hourly rate - equals long hours for crap money. Had I done a 15 hour shift I’d have been on £6.66/hr…

Basically, the first I would’ve known about it would’ve been the first shift - had I not asked questions.

Driving jobs are long days no matter what company you work for. Unless they’ve had 12 or 13 hours out of you as a minimum they aren’t happy.

Stick with sales. At least you know what time you’re going to be home every night.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

fonzi:
Always the same old replies. Dont do it, worse job in the world, long hours, ect ect ect.
Ignore them and do what you feel is best for you. Most of the detractor’s on here, would be lucky to get a job as a shelf stacker. And as for the money thats just like any other job. There is good pay or not so good pay. But getting some experience behind you is the first step. As another more enlightened person said on here. Get you Licence & CPC get some weekend work ( Its there regardless of what some may say ) get some experience. You sound a sensible guy you can then see if its what you want.
And do consider the owner operator route. Again forget all of the crap you will be given, its a good route to follow more freedom to work the hours and take on the work that suites you. Its not easy but then nothing of any worth comes easy. And as I said Ignore all the doubters they are not giving you advice from there own experience as owner operators. And if it is then that shows clearly that they did not do there homework.
All the best of luck to you whatever you end up doing.

Loving your optimism…[emoji106]

But suggesting someone with no experience or licence and who thinks a 45 hr week is as much as he wants to work is daft.

Better to try it first and get some experience and see how works out…

Knocks all the people giving the guy good, sound advice, then comes out with this gem !

fonzi:
And do consider the owner operator route. Again forget all of the crap you will be given, its a good route to follow

Oh deary me. :smiley: :smiley: Where to even start ? :unamused:

R420:
Knocks all the people giving the guy good, sound advice, then comes out with this gem !

fonzi:
And do consider the owner operator route. Again forget all of the crap you will be given, its a good route to follow

2nd that !!!

I have lived off £2000 net for 4 months and it’s been hard do I need to find a job on £35k plus. Not being disrespectful to those who earn less

Col81:
I have lived off £2000 net for 4 months and it’s been hard do I need to find a job on £35k plus. Not being disrespectful to those who earn less

Then trucking isn`t for you. :smiley:

truckerjimbo:

Col81:

Well not in the short term, took me 7yrs to find what I consider a plum job on class 1 getting the money and an enjoyable job. There was the element of chance and jumping into it to get as well. Depends on your outgoings, lorry driving will get you the money for the average house,couple of cars, family etc but you will never be a millionaire.

R420:

fonzi:

As always its each persons opinion. If you have a reasonable Brain and a good Idea of how your business works, Then Its doable as an O/O. And that is from my own experience. Yes for sure its not a walk in the park. And you need money behind you. But it is not rocket science.
So I stand by what I say. If you disagree well that is your prerogative I have no problem with that. But please do not just ■■■ ■■■ it just because its not you thing. Many many people go down the O/O route. Some make it and some do not. I have been more than happy over the years and although not rich, certainly better off than being employed. And I do not have to please or ■■■■ up to some ■■■■ in the traffic office unlike most employees.

fonzi:

R420:

fonzi:

As always its each persons opinion. If you have a reasonable Brain and a good Idea of how your business works, Then Its doable as an O/O. And that is from my own experience. Yes for sure its not a walk in the park. And you need money behind you. But it is not rocket science.
So I stand by what I say. If you disagree well that is your prerogative I have no problem with that. But please do not just ■■■ ■■■ it just because its not you thing. Many many people go down the O/O route. Some make it and some do not. I have been more than happy over the years and although not rich, certainly better off than being employed. And I do not have to please or ■■■■ up to some [zb] in the traffic office unlike most employees.

“Some make it some do not”.

“A tiny minority make it, the vast majority do not”. Edited for accuracy. It’s a mugs game and has been for at least the last 20 years. Some will never be happy until they’ve got it out of their system and watched the repo man drive off with their blinged up V8s. That doesn’t change the advice.

R420:

fonzi:

R420:

fonzi:

So I stand by what I say. If you disagree well that is your prerogative I have no problem with that. But please do not just ■■■ ■■■ it just because its not you thing. Many many people go down the O/O route. Some make it and some do not. I have been more than happy over the years and although not rich, certainly better off than being employed. And I do not have to please or ■■■■ up to some [zb] in the traffic office unlike most employees.

“A tiny minority make it, the vast majority do not”. Edited for accuracy. It’s a mugs game and has been for at least the last 20 years. Some will never be happy until they’ve got it out of their system and watched the repo man drive off with their blinged up V8s. That doesn’t change the advice.

For sure there is part of the answer. A Blinged up V8, will not earn you any more money. So stick to a vehicle what earns you the most dosh. And if they want to be a Badge Snob, that is entirely up to them. But if we are to give advice then it must be Knowledgable, and not just because you did not do it or did not want to do it. As in any business start up Knowledgable people will probably make it. The rest will learn the hard way.

Theres

mrginge:

truckerjimbo:

Col81:

Well not in the short term, took me 7yrs to find what I consider a plum job on class 1 getting the money and an enjoyable job. There was the element of chance and jumping into it to get as well. Depends on your outgoings, lorry driving will get you the money for the average house,couple of cars, family etc but you will never be a millionaire.

Unfortunately to earn a good living wage truck driving you need to work long hours. 60 hours plus.

With a HGV licence you will never be out of a job but it may be a ■■■■ job. :smiley:

R420:

fonzi:

R420:

fonzi:

Totally agree.

For my part and despite driving V8 Scanias and the like, I preferred the Renault Premium. Same 'box and engine as Volvo but nowhere near the cost. That said, I only drove it, it wasn’t mine. Not so good for you lads tramping, but as a day tool it worked well.

If you’re living in it then I’d say a better spec is desirable. But can’t fault the costs…

Applied for licence 2 weeks ago. Still not arrived the paperwork. I really fancy this I have a loan that costs me £200 a month a family member has even offered to clear it for me if it helps so i could do it if i got £28k. I know this is a big ask I’ve completely had enough of sales. I would do 45 to 50 hours per week if it got me the money I think I would enjoy multi drop work more seeing several people a day and buzzing around. It is the first 12 months that will be the issue who will pay a new class 2 driver £28k is I doubt anyone. Still trying to find a way…