class 2 pay

Passed last week , looking for my first class 2 job. Phoned company today they said 55 hour a week at 7.40 an hour. 10.00 per hour overtime, 20 pound nite out and 3 pound meal allowance… Is this the going rate??

No. But it could be in that area…

F-reds:
No. But it could be in that area…

Whatever the area is,thats a crepe rate imo.

Youve prob spent a few grand getting the licence done loads of training, cpc etc an now have to take a large vehicle on the road an stay focused the whole time etc when you could walk off street with nothing and mess about stacking shelves for more money and less stress. You deceide how good it is :slight_smile:

click me

It’s easy to scoff and say “I wouldn’t work for that” and I wouldn’t, where I live. Wages in this industry vary wildly by region, which isn’t fair, but it looks like that’s low even for your area.

But if the money works for you it’s experience until something better comes along. Good luck.

It’s easy to scoff and say “I wouldn’t work for that” and I wouldn’t, where I live. Wages in this industry vary wildly by region, which isn’t fair, but it looks like that’s low even for your area.

But if the money works for you it’s experience until something better comes along. Good luck.
[/quote]
This ^ … I would take the job get the experience then in 6 months start asking/looking for more money …

As its your first chance at this game I would say take the job.There have been lots of threads about 2 years experience,you can google it if you like. :stuck_out_tongue: .Do a GOOD job for them and ask for a rise in the Spring time.Try to build up contacts with the other drivers that you meet at drops and burger vans .

what dog and allam say get the experience in, build up contacts then start looking to move.

But thoose who take jobs at ■■■■■ pay, will keep wages low.

m_attt:
But thoose who take jobs at [zb] pay, will keep wages low.

But the better paid jobs probably won’t employ a newbie. Catch 23. (Like a catch 22, only worse!)

55 hour a week total duty time or 55 hour a week work excluding breaks? I ask cos I’m with a foodservice company which is ■■■■ and average 50 hours a week duty time (ie including breaks). Take home £400 a week basic plus a little bit more every month for haulage. Works out about £450 a week take home, £500 for a good week.

Like others have said, if it’s your first offer of a job, then take it. You can either go for it and get experience or sit back and say it doesn’t pay enough and get no experience and stay on the sausage roll.

Bet it’s 7.40 ph worked out on a salary for 55 hours and you end up working 60+ most weeks. As others have said its crap money. As others have said you need experience. If you have the luxury of not needing to take the job my advice would be to keep looking. Firms that pay wages like that disgust me deserve to go out business if they can only survive using slave labour.