Super single tyres

You do look young there lad! :open_mouth: Great choice of truck though. :wink:

Pete.

windrush:

Pete.

The bloke on the right is saying "50s & 60s is definatly not old time " :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I thought that super single where fitted to tankers for the same reason as trailers with coil wells, with super singles fitted you could have a wider chassis, in the case of a tanker it would sit lower so more stable and for a coiler you could fit a wider well?

windrush:

Pete.

And neither of them have noticed the puncture on that back tyre! :wink:

When i started at ICI in 1969 virtually the whole fleet were on super singles, all the tanker trailers and 90% of the units had them on .The reason was fire prevention ,if you had a blowout then you would definitely know about it,unlike if they were fitted with twins when you could keep going until it caught fire.With a tanker that would be far too dangerous. TED.

Didnt Shell fit them to their double drive Fodens , and I think Ive seen a Mammoth Major unit fitted with them from years gone by pulling a petrol tanker , I cant remember who`s though , it could have been Mobil

Greetings,All.
Ref. the Super Singles.I worked at the Shell Wandsworth Depot and all our trailers,whatever the product carried,had Super Singles fitted. And it is correct in saying that the later Fodens had the on the two drive axles as well as the trailer.
In all my years (all enjoyable) working there I never had a puncture in them.I drove a Seddon-Atkinson 401 with a RR 265 Eagle Diesel,Spicer Splitter gear box with a 6000 gallon tank on the back.
Regards to all,900x20. :smiley: :laughing: :laughing:

Greetings,again.
Ref. the landing gear on Shell trailers,none of them had it. It must have saved quite a bit of weight and trailers were rarely swapped so there was not much point in fitting it. Dropping a trailer on rare occasions was facilitated by using a custom built dolly that fitted under the landing gear brackets.Regards,900x20. :laughing:

Punchy Dan:

windrush:

Pete.

The bloke on the right is saying "50s & 60s is definatly not old time " :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The 1850’s and 60’s !!

ramone:
Didnt Shell fit them to their double drive Fodens , and I think Ive seen a Mammoth Major unit fitted with them from years gone by pulling a petrol tanker , I cant remember who`s though , it could have been Mobil

Spot on Paul, Mobil Mammoth Major 6 tractive units had super singles on their drive axles.

gingerfold:

ramone:

Spot on Paul, Mobil Mammoth Major 6 tractive units had super singles on their drive axles.

Steve Thornley will know about these.Doug Allen told me they were one of the first operators to use them.They had a couple of Ford 6 wheelers with thm on.Not sure why they didn’t have anymore,I suppose what was suitable for the job.

Tony

Copy of Copy of scan0004.jpg

Singles on this M Reg Tanker although a couple of other pics I found had twins fitted. Franky.

900X20:
Greetings,again.
Ref. the landing gear on Shell trailers,none of them had it. It must have saved quite a bit of weight and trailers were rarely swapped so there was not much point in fitting it. Dropping a trailer on rare occasions was facilitated by using a custom built dolly that fitted under the landing gear brackets.Regards,900x20. :laughing:

Sorry,your wrong on that statement im afraid,at Teesport very few of our trailers werent fitted with legs,

joeshell:

900X20:
Greetings,again.

Sorry,your wrong on that statement im afraid,at Teesport very few of our trailers werent fitted with legs,

I recall Shell Fodens delivering derv into our yard and they had what I term the mini super singles on the double drive bogie, same size as those used on our Tri axle flats. Their trailers were all tandem axle and some were on the big super singles, the equivalent of twin wheels. Cheers Bewick.

Hello,joeshell,
Ref the legs,it must have been a choice at each depot, as at Wandsworth none were fitted at on any of our trailers.Might have depended on the workload each terminal had. Did your depot swap trailers
on a regular basis? BP Fulham were the same,no legs.Interesting,the reason why it was not the norm.Regards,900x20…

900X20:
Hello,joeshell,
Ref the legs,it must have been a choice at each depot, as at Wandsworth none were fitted at on any of our trailers.Might have depended on the workload each terminal had. Did your depot swap trailers
on a regular basis? BP Fulham were the same,no legs.Interesting,the reason why it was not the norm.Regards,900x20…

Hi 900x20,we changed LPG trailers on a fairly regular basis,and motor spirit to aviation,so probably yes,mind,the first time i did it i got a bollocking,apparently you had to have the assistance of a fitter!!

Hello again joeshell.
Thanks for that,in your case it made sense to have legs. In our case,all we did was Spirit,Gas oil and Black oil,occasionally Lube oil.You’re right about dropping a trailer too,as with Shell it was a major operation.I didn’t have the heart to tell the fitters that we used to do it regularly as our job,including trailers with two pins.All the best,regards,900x20. :smiley:

Suedehead:
That did cross my mind but wouldn’t bulk tippers have used them more back in them days, if it was a payload issue ?

They didn’t catch on with tippers as they could keep going if one got a puncture with twins and 1 single was more money than a pair of cheap 10 or 11.22.5s. I fitted a set to a brand new 6x4 tipper ( yes super singles on a rigid tipper )in the mid 80s they returned 3months later to have a set of 11.22.s fitted as it was costing them a fortune in down time and tyres . Wasn’t most of the early super single a 20’ tubeless tyre on a split rim and a rubber sealing ring iirc the size was 14x80 20

chester1:

Suedehead:
That did cross my mind but wouldn’t bulk tippers have used them more back in them days, if it was a payload issue ?

They didn’t catch on with tippers as they could keep going if one got a puncture with twins and 1 single was more money than a pair of cheap 10 or 11.22.5s. I fitted a set to a brand new 6x4 tipper ( yes super singles on a rigid tipper )in the mid 80s they returned 3months later to have a set of 11.22.s fitted as it was costing them a fortune in down time and tyres . Wasn’t most of the early super single a 20’ tubeless tyre on a split rim and a rubber sealing ring iirc the size was 14x80 20

I have no idea about the operators problems with super singles , but on an empty single axle trailer they were a nightmare in the wet . Pulled a tandem liquid tank with them on and that was nearly as bad . Dave

chester1:

Suedehead:

14/80/20 was a nightmare, we had them fitted to a fleet of new triaxle powder tanks and forever blowing out until we managed the pressure properly. We found that if under-inflated the heat would build up, pressure increased and then blew-out, we recorded pressure of 150psi when tested

If kept at the correct pressure 130psi if I re-call they were OK - Semperit were the best of the day