Super singles

What are super singles?

I hear it when people give a description of a truck spec, I know it’s something to do with the tyres but that’s all?

Don’t shoot me down for the dumb question, but you only know something if you know something

No problem with asking anything in this game, it’s not like you are taught anything important when you get your licence…

Now I’m far from an expert as I’m only a steering wheel attendant really :laughing: but yes super singles are basically axles that only have one wheel each side that I believe are considerably bigger than the old size wheels which would have had 2 each side. One of the old hands will be along in a minute to confirm :wink:

I was a tyre fitter when Super Singles came out, mid 70’s I think. It was an enlarged rim with only 1 tyre fitted, as opposed to 2 rims and 2 tyres.Original tyre sizes were 10.00 x 20 crossply with a tube and flap fitted to a 2 or 3 piece rim. Then we got 11 x 22.5 x 20 Tubeless tyres.
I think I got the sizes right but it is a long time ago. :smiley:

Nowadays would be a 385/65r 22.5 tyre. Basically a trailer wheel.

DAF_Daily:
Don’t shoot me down for the dumb question, but you only know something if you know something

There’s no such thing as a stupid question, ever.

Certainly not in this business with all the strange terminology: susies, fifth wheel, RBTs, PMIs, ADR, driveaway etc. The one that always got me was “spreadover”, why not just call it your “shift”?

Try this for a helping hand
optimumdrivinggroup.co.uk/ultim … ng-jargon/

Incidentally, while we’re on the subject of single tyres vs double tyres, one benefit of singles is that it gives a wider “track” (distance between the wheels on either side of an axle) which can lower the centre of gravity of the load, making the whole thing more stable. That’s why a tanker will invariably have a tri-axle setup made of single wheels, as it will help prevent rollover caused by lateral (sideways) movement of the liquid.

Also if going offroad at all you can’t get stones etc stuck between the tyres-saves a whole lot of grief.

Me: sees a thread titled Super Singles
Also me: Oooo, TruckNet has got a dating thread :laughing:

I seem to recall Shell running super singles on the drive axles of their units, I often wondered why they never caught on.

You also see certain foreign tilt type trailers with mega wide super singles on them, not common but they are about, I’m thinking Ewal Cargo in particular.

the maoster:
I seem to recall Shell running super singles on the drive axles of their units, I often wondered why they never caught on.

You also see certain foreign tilt type trailers with mega wide super singles on them, not common but they are about, I’m thinking Ewal Cargo in particular.

Warburtons used to run trailers with them mega wide ones on aswell, probably still do.

Super singles are becoming a thing in the US, be interesting to see if they make an appearance over here. Would require a legislation change tho

Come on carryfast where are you when your needed

drover:
No problem with asking anything in this game, it’s not like you are taught anything important when you get your licence…

Now I’m far from an expert as I’m only a steering wheel attendant really :laughing: but yes super singles are basically axles that only have one wheel each side that I believe are considerably bigger than the old size wheels which would have had 2 each side. One of the old hands will be along in a minute to confirm :wink:

Don’t put yourself down, you nailed the question. All I’d add, is that super singles can carry the same weight as duals.

driveress:

:laughing: :laughing: You wish, me thinks there are better places to look. :stuck_out_tongue:

driveress:

You’ve seen what the average UK truck driver looks like, haven’t you? :laughing:

Untitled2.jpeg

switchlogic:
Super singles are becoming a thing in the US, be interesting to see if they make an appearance over here. Would require a legislation change tho

Eh? I thought almost every single trailer in the UK except double deckers used them?

stu675:

switchlogic:

Eh? I thought almost every single trailer in the UK except double deckers used them?

I missed out the critical words ‘on the drive axle’ somehow :unamused:

the maoster:

Yep.they look like some kind of aircraft wheels, wide and a smaller diameter than standard supers.

Bad example pics, but this was mine…

When I was at Brits we had super singles on the steering axle, maybe not as big again as standards.

switchlogic:

stu675:

switchlogic:

I missed out the critical words ‘on the drive axle’ somehow :unamused:

Ok thanks, thought I was misunderstanding what they were.

The worst ones to fit were Bandag recap on a Firestone casing. :laughing:

the maoster:

Chris Hudson was the first I saw using them on trailers back in the early 80s

We inherited a few units with them on the steer axle a few years ago, bloody ugly things that wore well and seemed to be bullet proof :open_mouth: