Why don't they........

… fit super singles on drive axles?

I seem to remember back in the 90’s seeing Shell fuel tankers with them fitted, but was wondering why it’s not practice nowadays. Perhaps they wear quickly when drive is put through them, or maybe other reasons altogether. Any ideas?

I remember a lot of foden 6x4 having them but thats about it really ,thompsons from devon ran them,looked crap : :cry: :cry:

I had a foden 6x4 on brick work on super singles, absolute nightmare,

T M Catto from Aberdeen ran his Foden S104s on them for a long time I think the unladen weight would be slightly lower, there’s yin thing they wud be weel tried out there they were well known for hardly ever being parked up. Eddie.

the maoster:

I seem to remember back in the 90’s seeing Shell fuel tankers with them fitted, but was wondering why it’s not practice nowadays. Perhaps they wear quickly when drive is put through them, or maybe other reasons altogether. Any ideas?

Would handle like a ■■■■■ in relation to duals id of thought.

If it’s not broke don’t fix it…!

puntabrava:

the maoster:

We tried them on SWB two axle tippers about 45 years ago. To say they handled like a ■■■■■ is an understatement! Couldn’t keep the bl**dy things on the road, as I recall.

A very short-lived experiment!

Steve

There is an operator with a Foden six wheeler rigid tipper locally that runs singles on the rear, he does a lot of lime and occasionally pulls a drag so maybe they are better on soft ground?

Pete.

Chap who owned rpc from Taunton area ran a Renault magnum with super singles on the drive axles and lift axle on round timber haulage, I guess it helped with the footprint on the forest tracks. He sold it to a fellow from Weymouth not sure wether he kept the super singles for his operation.

the maoster:

Because drive axles are rated about 11.5T , add to that the torque applied when taking off pulling 44T (i’m crap at physics) but it might rip the tyres, be to much an ask of a rim on a single when taking off or struggling uphill ? Super singles are just rollers.

My old dad drove an old Leyland 6 wheeler with what were at the time called balloon tyres on the drive (dead end kid, only one axle driving) I don’t remember any issues with them doing Marston Valley Brickworks for weeks on end… mind you, it only had about 5 horsepower. :slight_smile:

puntabrava:

the maoster:

Only time super singles are a b!tch on the handling is in the snow duals are a lot better there. Some companies who run a lot of CA have them fitted.

I’m sure I read somewhere that it’s illegal to fit super singles to the drive. Can’t remember where tho.