Super single tyres

Sniffy:

chester1:

Suedehead:
That did cross my mind but wouldn’t bulk tippers have used them more back in them days, if it was a payload issue ?

They didn’t catch on with tippers as they could keep going if one got a puncture with twins and 1 single was more money than a pair of cheap 10 or 11.22.5s. I fitted a set to a brand new 6x4 tipper ( yes super singles on a rigid tipper )in the mid 80s they returned 3months later to have a set of 11.22.s fitted as it was costing them a fortune in down time and tyres . Wasn’t most of the early super single a 20’ tubeless tyre on a split rim and a rubber sealing ring iirc the size was 14x80 20

14/80/20 was a nightmare, we had them fitted to a fleet of new triaxle powder tanks and forever blowing out until we managed the pressure properly. We found that if under-inflated the heat would build up, pressure increased and then blew-out, we recorded pressure of 150psi when tested

If kept at the correct pressure 130psi if I re-call they were OK - Semperit were the best of the day

I had a good spell on coal/scrap 3 flats a month guaranteed. Most memorable 5 in a week :cry: