Stobbies pull out early

Stobarts must do something right somewhere though. There’s certainly a few people in the company at top level who certainly aren’t stupid. We can mock them all we want but to be as big and successful as they are they ain’t stupid.

Rowley010:
Stobarts must do something right somewhere though. There’s certainly a few people in the company at top level who certainly aren’t stupid. We can mock them all we want but to be as big and successful as they are they ain’t stupid.

There is truth there, but it has limits. The hands-on skills to start and grow a small company, don’t always translate to bigger companies.
Learning to delegate, and choosing who to delegate to is different.
Bringing in managers with no grounding on an industry can easily cause problems. You don’t need to have “one hit the Blanc” to manage money, but if all middle and senior managers are imported and a company looses sight of it’s core business…moving stuff for profit… then it’s curtains.
If you took the “big companies must be experts” arguments too far we’d never have had Northern Rock, Carillion etc.

As predicted at the time they dropped car transportation like a hot coal, couldn’t run that on the cheap either.

Franglais:

Rowley010:

There is truth there, but it has limits. The hands-on skills to start and grow a small company, don’t always translate to bigger companies.
Learning to delegate, and choosing who to delegate to is different.
Bringing in managers with no grounding on an industry can easily cause problems. You don’t need to have “one hit the Blanc” to manage money, but if all middle and senior managers are imported and a company looses sight of it’s core business…moving stuff for profit… then it’s curtains.
If you took the “big companies must be experts” arguments too far we’d never have had Northern Rock, Carillion etc.

this ^^^^^^ all about finger on pulse. once you let go it’s a downward spiral.

Yorkielad:
I believe they cut the rate on the InBev out of Salmesbury a couple of year ago,didn’t have a clue about shifting beer,banged some extra trailers and units in there and got reprimanded by traffic commissioner,I think they now have to pay Downtown’s to for fill contract for them until it runs out.
They used to run stuff out of the old Berkshire brewery years ago until K&N caught them taking duty suspended loads back to there yard and leaving them for a few days before delivering them.

I don’t know what happened at InBev but one minute they were in there after wading in when KNDL pulled out, the next minute they were gone without a trace. They don’t even do the Tesco loads for Goole anymore which they always did, Maritime suddenly got gifted that.

Stinks of a fall out of some sort.

the maoster:
We once had a female college graduate come into our place in a senior management position, a few months in and after some very serious blunders with massive financial implications she was moved sideways to a sister depot. It took nearly a year for her to turn that from highly profitable to highly loss making.

She was once again moved sideways to head up the team to tender for the Carlsberg work at Northampton. I’m sure that the Carlsberg crew couldn’t sign fast enough once she’d underbid by around £5 million! It seems that she hadn’t taken into account the local work from plant to warehouse that runs 24/7 when putting her bid together. Carlsberg thanked her and refused to move on it.

Dunno where she is now but every time I see an empty factory I think of her! :imp:

I would query that figure of 5 million, that would equate to £1373 per vehicle per 24hr day. Based on my ten years experience there and running ten vehicles on the shuttle operation.

Dunno, I’m not an accountant so I’m only quoting what I was told. As you seem to be in the know why don’t you tell us how much she undercharged?

the maoster:
Dunno, I’m not an accountant so I’m only quoting what I was told. As you seem to be in the know why don’t you tell us how much she undercharged?

I would estimate about 800 to 900 thousand a year. If it is Gist you are talking about they only got one go at the transport before looking to XPO.

Nah, it’s XPO I was talking about mate.

the maoster:
Nah, it’s XPO I was talking about mate.

Oh ok pal I was long gone by then, but rough calculation was 300 quid a week for a unit on lease and 1200 for drivers plus a bit of fuel. Not sure if forklift drivers at brewery had to be included though. Carlsberg weren’t the sharpest tools either. Those Elephants outside the NDC should be a lot bigger than that, but whoever did the deal with China got their inches and centimetres mixed up.