Stobart on Belgium plates?

OwenMoney:
Wasn’t " flagging out " used simply as a way to avoid paying UK road tax .

I think it was the tax, plus some countries had slacker ‘O’ licencing rules, as well as better permit allocations.

There was a time that ‘flagging out’ was the way to go for making things cheaper and more convenient for the transport companies. However, once the UK Traffic Commissioners found out, they got a fairly quick/strong grip on things IIRC.

dieseldave:

OwenMoney:

I think it was the tax, plus some countries had slacker ‘O’ licencing rules, as well as better permit allocations.

There was a time that ‘flagging out’ was the way to go for making things cheaper and more convenient for the transport companies. However, once the UK Traffic Commissioners found out, they got a fairly quick/strong grip on things IIRC.

Still see some odd’n’ends of RHD trucks on various foreign plates around, but not as many as before.

Hear stories of annual test being issued through the post! And zero interest from home country transport authorities. Some posts from members on TNUK about it in the past too.

I have tipped and loaded alongside Norbert and Eddy with pet food. Pedigree at Hams Hall. Wisbech. Normandy. Brest etc, they shared and swapped loads, it was old Ferrymasters work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dieseldave:

xamtex:
in 2000 they based a lot of trucks in belgium,i drove some back then when they were in the uk.all rhd…some scam back then to get round some rule i think.

IIRC, you’re correct and the practice was known as ‘flagging out’ which was something akin to the way that some ships fly a flag of convenience that comes from a country where the authorities don’t enforce the rules in quite such a strict way that the rules are enforced in the home country.

I also seem to remember that after a while, the UK Traffic Commissioners came down rather heavily on the practice of ‘flagging out’ in relation to trucks.

Hever Bros/Maddern/Bryan from Devon springs to mind

OwenMoney:

Yes, but there was also many companies that had genuine offices abroad long before anyone thought of ‘Flagging out’
Axminster transport (France), Denby (France)& Bowker (Belgium). To name just a few.

Back in '97, Stobart bought/leased 3 pieces of land in Belgium (Veurne, Lokeren & St. Niklaas).
2 became depots ( Lokeren, St.Niklaas).

Geoffo:

OwenMoney:

Yes, but there was also many companies that had genuine offices abroad long before anyone thought of ‘Flagging out’
Axminster transport (France), Denby (France)& Bowker (Belgium). To name just a few.

Back in '97, Stobart bought/leased 3 pieces of land in Belgium (Veurne, Lokeren & St. Niklaas).

Also Wilson’s Transport from Borobridge, N. Yorkshire … was Wilson S.A.R.L. …if I remember, think it was Dunkerque. This was back in late '70’s - early '80’s

The Rustler:

Geoffo:

OwenMoney:

Also Wilson’s Transport from Borobridge, N. Yorkshire … was Wilson S.A.R.L. …if I remember, think it was Dunkerque. This was back in late '70’s - early '80’s

Norman Lewis Tankers BV
Oldenzaal

Before that it was Duisburg

Toddy2:

The Rustler:
Stobarts used to have a depot @ Lokeren … near the Truckstop / Tankwash. At one point they were doing some / all of the NAFFI contract for British Forces. They had quite a few trucks on Belgian plates … think they had some on walking floors. I can’t remember when and why they pulled out of Lokeren … think it was a few yrs ago.

“NAFFI contract for British Forces” That’ll be NAAFI - years ago was done by Brit-European when they were Carmans/Marwin - the London depot used to take/collect the trailers to/from Dover and trunk them to Scholar Green

Didnt Lowes have that same contract even more years back?

Under cabotage rules would I be allowed as a polish or Romanian haulier for eg, to do 3 trips in a week in uk then across to France do 3 trips in a week then back to uk and so on and on?

Boris1971:
Under cabotage rules would I be allowed as a polish or Romanian haulier for eg, to do 3 trips in a week in uk then across to France do 3 trips in a week then back to uk and so on and on?

I know of a Polish company that does 3 trips in Belgium before loading for France.
They reload in France back for Belgium. They then begin with the 3 trips in Belgium again.
The driver goes home every 6 weeks ( without the truck). The Polish reg truck hasn’t been back to Poland in a very long time, if ever at all.

Geoffo:

OwenMoney:

To get more permits
Frec all to do with flagging out

I’m sure that happens regularly but my question is, is it legal and enforced at roadside checks…

Boris1971:
I’m sure that happens regularly but my question is, is it legal and enforced at roadside checks…

Why wouldn’t it be legal?
So long as it’s not overweight, and is secured adequately, a car is cargo the same as anything else.
No special permits etc needed to move cars.
In EU land you may well be asked to produce a log book or similar, in the UK, dunno?

:wink:

Franglais:

Boris1971:

So long as it’s not overweight, and is secured adequately, a car is cargo the same as anything else.
In EU land you may well be asked to produce a log book or similar, in the UK, dunno?

Franglais?? Quit smoking that funny stuff. :wink: ’ think you’ve answered the wrong thread.

Geoffo:
:wink:

Franglais:

Boris1971:

Franglais?? Quit smoking that funny stuff. :wink: ’ think you’ve answered the wrong thread.

Whoops!
I’m a non smoker, so no excuse there. Must be the effect of being stupid I s’pose?

Wheel Nut:

The Rustler:

Geoffo:

OwenMoney:

Norman Lewis Tankers BV
Oldenzaal

Before that it was Duisburg

Taymix/Translact from just outside Blandford in Dorset too. Was on there for a short while around 2001/2002 but the trucks were back on UK plates mostly by then. Lost their UK O-Licence in the end - make of that what you will.

living in northern ireland i did a few trips for a guy from southern ireland who lived in england with his op/yard in wales,and a nice scania on bulgarian plates.
it was always an interesting chat with vostapo at a few locations around the uk when they tried to work out if they could do me with something as the driver,or how far down the line would it be before giving up trying to charge the owner.needless to say i never worked for him for a tremendously long period,but it was mega wages and good craic for 9 months or so.
its been a few years now and im still waiting for the 1st summons,so i must have been running legal after all… :open_mouth:

Trickydick:

Toddy2:

The Rustler:
Stobarts used to have a depot @ Lokeren … near the Truckstop / Tankwash. At one point they were doing some / all of the NAFFI contract for British Forces. They had quite a few trucks on Belgian plates … think they had some on walking floors. I can’t remember when and why they pulled out of Lokeren … think it was a few yrs ago.

“NAFFI contract for British Forces” That’ll be NAAFI - years ago was done by Brit-European when they were Carmans/Marwin - the London depot used to take/collect the trailers to/from Dover and trunk them to Scholar Green

Didnt Lowes have that same contract even more years back?

No idea, my father was on it late 60’s early 70’s - in fact from about 66 to maybe 71

Harry Monk:
No, in fact there used to be far more of them than there are now. I believe they were (theoretically at least) based at Lokeren.

When they had a base next to the lady brook power station at Dartford they had a few on Belgian plates based in there don’t think they ever got as far as Lokeren tho . Knauf in the day fuel run to Veurne at night