British hauliers running foreign registered trucks

I’ve just seen the French registered vehicles belonging to Atkins, Cadwallader, Axminister on the Atkins thread. Stobarts had Belgium ones and now run Irish ones, which other British Hauliers own foreign registered trucks?

I hate to put this name on here but nothing they do would surprise me. This is CZ registered. Seen in Morecambe.

I believe the stobart ones were part of an order placed by the transporter company they brought, not stobarts.

British hauliers have run foreign registered lorries since the 60s as Cawthorn & Sinclair and Atkins of Derby had depots in Le Harve before we joined the common market and there was a few more who had depots abroad including Pickfords

cheers Johnnie :wink:

Derek Lynch ran a few motors on foriegn plates, and Brain Haulage ran some foriegn reg motors in the 80’s.
Chris.

a mate worked for stobart about twelve years ago from their now closed dartford depot and they ran at least 20 belgian registered scanias back then

If the goverment let hauliers compete in haulage with our continental cousin’s and gave tax relief to them they wouldn’t need to register them abroad!

When I was at Fridged Freight of Diss in the early 70’s, 5 of their motors were registered in the Irish Republic but kept their English number plates.
About 1972 Wyatt’s lost a bunch of “o” licences and because we were running hanging beef from Ireland to u.s. forces in Germany, Belgium and Italy my father organised it. Things got complicated when drivers failed to get proof of export forms for subsidy signed at point of exit but I managed to worm my way into Custom House and claim the money back using agent’s records. Jim.

David Croome and de Rooy have Polish registered trucks,I think I have also seen Croome’s trucks with an LT plate,(Lithuania?).
I have seen the German firm of Adam Offergeld from Aachen who I remember from 50 years ago when I was stationed in Germany,now running to England with Polish plates.
Several times I have seen a Merc unit,Polish plates,firm name of Huber,(German?) pulling Curries of Dumfries trailers!
Who’s who in transport thses days?

Round about the time of the Derek Linch there were a lot of companies"flagging out" because
the road tax was getting sky high in this country. I remember paying over £3,000 for 12 months
on an ERF artic I was running but I had no way of going abroad. Curries have some Polish
registered units pulling their trailers but they might be subbies.

Denby had some on french plates .
E H Nicholls had some on french plates
Richard Lawson had some on german plates
Birds had some on german plates

Then there was the mass flagging out where lots of firms went dutch including
Murfitts , Turners , Swains , H c davis , smiths of scotter ,cyril knowles ,madderns ,pawsons

Richard long & Matthews are still operating dutch reg’s…

Croome went to Lithuania !

I found a lot of UK registered Croomes on a Polish web site and I was very surprised because
I thought they had all gone abroad. I thought that Maddern went to Holland after they fell
foul of VOSA

Davidson & Wilson ran lots of Dutch vehicles. Curries had a German registered DAF

croomegroup.co.uk

There are two croomes , they are identical livery ,except one is running english plated volvo drawbars , the uk ones also have the air con unit on the top… The other croome runs the lithuanian outfits…there was a topic on here before about them being two brothers…

Maddern = Heaver bros’ …

I can remember davison & wilson running the dutch reg’s think J r mith of tring had one of there xf105 when they packed up , i seem to remember G&S also had dutch regs as did mclaughlan i m sure there were many more aswell…

It was popular in the mid 90’s to register trucks abroad, IIR Holland was a favourite with companies renting an office and registering trucks over there, as all they needed to pass the relevant tests was LHD headlamps. That was a lot cheaper than having british tax discs.

Didn’t GBE have some trucks registered in France, or is my memory really that dodgy? Seem to recall chatting to a fella with a GBE Merc Powerliner down in Bordeaux back in the mid nineties that was on FR plates . . . ?

~ Craig

I believe you are right craig , i seem to remember them taking delivery of a large amount of pegasso troners ,if i remember rightly some of these were based abroad on foreign plates…

Your memory’s clearly better than mine! Here’s a pic of a Troner based in Bdx that I just found over on the French forum.

~ Craig

S Jones had Saudi Arabian registered vehicles.

wh bowker had some Belgian registered .Norbert dentressangle used to run a lot of French reg ones here.due to rha and government nudging they no longer seem to run as many nowadays.when the new road usage system comes in things may or not alter we shall see. :confused: :open_mouth: :unamused: