British hauliers running foreign registered trucks

shirtbox2003:
wh bowker had some Belgian registered .Norbert dentressangle used to run a lot of French reg ones here.due to rha and government nudging they no longer seem to run as many nowadays.when the new road usage system comes in things may or not alter we shall see. :confused: :open_mouth: :unamused:

Bowker did have a Belgian subsidiary long before running locally-registered motors - 1976, if I remember rightly, and there were some Belgian drivers too

Dutch reg on this MGS DAF

There were two reasons for running under a flag of convenience, originally it was to get over the permit allocations or to get tramping books as some countries were easier to get the permits that were in short supply. I remember we had a problem with single entry Austrian permits but a Dutch multi trip permit lasted for 12 months.

In later years the main reason for flagging out was to avoid the high excise duty but many companies did not do it correctly and got burnt.

While I worked for Transalliance we had a depot in France who bought all the lorries, they then personalised each truck, with plates, fuel cards, legal paperwork, toll cards, computer and telephones, company handbooks all in the allocated drivers language. We drove our old lorry into the depot and were given a brand new one ready to go.

roadcruiser:
I believe you are right craig , i seem to remember them taking delivery of a large amount of pegasso troners ,if i remember rightly some of these were based abroad on foreign plates…

Yes, the ones based at Cherbourg , Paris and Bordeaux were French registered, The onesbased in Novarra were Italian and UK registered and the ones based in Barcelona were Spanish and UK registered

Edit to add : There was also a Merc. Wagon and Drag that was Irish registered ,it was something to do with its length if I recall rightly.

Wheel Nut:
While I worked for Transalliance we had a depot in France who bought all the lorries, they then personalised each truck, with plates, fuel cards, legal paperwork, toll cards, computer and telephones, company handbooks all in the allocated drivers language. We drove our old lorry into the depot and were given a brand new one ready to go.

I bet it was 51 registered ,as that at one time was the cheapest department for vehicle tax at the time , When I worked for Detressangle my truck was registered 37 (I then was based at Tours )when my new one arrived it was 51, apparently Norbert rented an office in Reims and all the trucks and trailers were registered there.

kerbut:

roadcruiser:
I believe you are right craig , i seem to remember them taking delivery of a large amount of pegasso troners ,if i remember rightly some of these were based abroad on foreign plates…

Yes, the ones based at Cherbourg , Paris and Bordeaux were French registered, The onesbased in Novarra were Italian and UK registered and the ones based in Barcelona were Spanish and UK registered

Edit to add : There was also a Merc. Wagon and Drag that was Irish registered ,it was something to do with its length if I recall rightly.

Some interesting info there Kerbut , that merc must have been must have been WXI 3007 according to my notes that was a mercedes wagon & drag with sleeper pod , i wondered why that was on irish plates ,were there any other wagon & drags besides this one and the E reg Man…

No, there were 2 MAN wagon and drags also with the trailer wheels on the corners.

kerbut:
No, there were 2 MAN wagon and drags also with the trailer wheels on the corners.

I know of the E REG( E981 XTA) man drawbar as i saw it years ago ,i was going to buy a picture of it on e bay recently but the bidding went over £10 , i wasn’t going to spend that on a 6x4 picture… were both the man wagon and drags identical spec ?

Without wishing to turn this into a GBE memorial, I just wondered where their depot was in Bordeaux?

~ Craig

I cant remember the address Craig ,but it is now Transalliance-GBE

Edit :, I think this was it (address lifted from TA-GBE website ) rue Venteille,33185 Le Haillan.