Start C Training 30th November

Data Academy:
Welcome to the site Rob

You have lots in your favour and should have no problems, you are a biker and still alive so I would guess your planning and awareness are pretty good that’s how you pass the practical because if you are planning your drive and aware you will be doing things in the right order at the right time.

Wagon and drag for your C+E you already drive one no different to a caravan just a bit bigger.

Your assessment proves you are already above average so just go nail it.

Good luck and all the best for the 3rd. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Rick

Hi Rick thanks for the best wishes. :grimacing:

Yeah sounds a bit weird but I think riding a bike does help because you are used to looking out for yourself a lot more. You get a feel for what people are going to do before they do it. Like being in the wrong lane and cutting across without looking just because the satnav told them to! :laughing: :laughing:

I love towing the caravan because it makes me feel a bit like a trucker :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Yes I do realise how sad that sounds but its true. It does make me laugh though when we stop at Leeming bar on the A1. You have to reverse the caravan into a parking bay with the trucks but then watching other caravaners trying to do the same but failing badly :laughing: :laughing: I guess thats why you now have to do a test for B+E. :open_mouth:

Thanks to everyone on here for the welcome I have received it almost feels like coming home after all these years of wanting to do this but never having the balls to go for it.

Rob :grimacing:

First day Training today :open_mouth:

Started with having to ride scooter the 15 miles first thing this morning with the snow and ice to start! We had about 3" of snow overnight :unamused:

Was nervous this time to start with wrong gears on roundabouts, clipped a few kerbs (kerbs were covered with snow!), finding it hard to get into gear and started to think “god i’m really crap at this, will I be able to do it!” :blush:
Then started to relax and get into it and ended up really enjoying it :smiley: By the end of today I felt like quite a lot of it was becoming natural, what gear, can I fit through that gap etc.
Paul (EDT) said he was pleased with my progress and I was doing better than he thought I would at this stage.

My main worry is the awful weather, the forecast tonight and tomorrow is looking really bad :frowning: but I’m supposed to be doing reversing and the Harrogate test route but who knows.
We drove past the Walton test centre today to see if they were doing any tests but it looked like a ghost town :cry: Please be open Friday!!!

Rob

We’ve already lost two tests at Walton this week. They never clear the snow so it goes rock solid over night. I wouldn’t count on getting a test Friday but you might. Depends if the snow melts or not.

Hi gardenvespa, glad your enjoying your training, hope the weather sorts it’self out for friday for you, I’m S West -no snow but freeeeeeezing {{{{ :neutral_face: }}}}. Good luck for friday :smiley:

I started and finished my training for 2010 on the 30th of November :cry:

Lessons and test canceled, the snow here is REALLY BAD :unamused:

I have been looking forward to this for weeks/months I even revised my theory test from a book when in the south of France in June!

New dates 4th & 5th Jan with test 6th Jan 2011 So fingers crossed :astonished:

Thanks to paul at Elmet Driver Training for sorting it :stuck_out_tongue:

So merry Christmas and I hope a test passing new year :grimacing: :grimacing:

Rob
Thanks Bonnie Lass, M62 could be closed soon the snow is that bad. Oh well roll on 2011 :cry:

Tockwith Training:
Why didn’t you come to us? Anyhow say hi to Paul from me, he used to work for us. No doubt I’ll see you at the cafe at Thorpe arch.

As for the snow, well those examiners will happily cancel driving tests. It’s rather pathetic but if the reversing area is covered in snow they won’t clear it. Against health and safety rules. Last year it was closed for a week until the snow melted! No one was allowed to touch it with a shovel. We complained like mad but got nowhere.

After you pass in Pauls little waggon, if you fancy a familiarisation lesson in proper artic let me know!

TBH it was the most sensible thing to do under the circumstances.

While I am on here just like to say how disapointed I am with Tockwith Training quote about my so called “little wagon”

I would just like to add my wagon and drag is longer than their artic.

I have trained alot of trainees this year on the wagon and drag who have now gone on to full time employment driving artics without any further training.
Regards Paul

Tockwith Training:
Why didn’t you come to us

Bit of a cheek asking this? Not very professional if you ask me, so really he made this best choice.

gardenvespa:

Started with having to ride scooter the 15 miles first thing this morning with the snow and ice to start! We had about 3" of snow overnight :unamused:

Rob

3" :unamused: is that it I have more here ( well in my back garden then approx 26" there & guess what its snowin again ) there was a bit more than that when my test was cancelled

animal:

gardenvespa:

Rob

3" :unamused: is that it I have more here ( well in my back garden then approx 26" there & guess what its snowin again ) there was a bit more than that when my test was cancelled

The 3" of snow was Tuesday morning I’d say we have had about a foot now (Thursday afternoon) and instead of HGV training i’m at home looking after the kids whilst the wife is at work doing extra hours for all the people that can’t get in. :unamused:

A scooter is really not the best transport in snow and ice! Although its a scooter its quite big and heavy as its 400cc and will do 100mph so more like a bike really.

I know Newcastle has had loads more snow than Leeds but my 1st ever lesson in a 18 Ton truck with snow on the roads in places isn’t the best way to start but like my instructor says if I can do it right on snowy/slushy roads then when its clear it will be easy :laughing: I can’t argue with that :laughing: :laughing:

Rob :grimacing:

Yep know the type of scooter & very unstable in any kind of weather poss due to having 10" ish wheels but I was riding my bike back in 81/82 when we had snow on the ground & yep my bike test was cancelled then due to snow

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Its snowing again as well no as much as we have had

Yep I would agree with your instructor that if you can drive in this you will be able to drive in any kind of weather

Good luck with next year hope the snow gone by then

OK started and ended training on 30th November because of the snow but tomorrow I’m at it again with my test on Thursday morning (6th Jan).

I think I’ll be doing reversing in morning then driving round Walton test route in Harrogate. :slight_smile:

Looking forward to getting into it again, seems ages since I was last driving a 18t :frowning:

As I remember great truck to drive with easy gearbox.

Update tomorrow

Good luck mate, at least the snows buggered off for you :slight_smile:

Good luck - hope it goes well

Thanks for the support :smiley: I’ll post how it goes tomorrow.

Rob

All the best, goodluck with you’re C training :smiley:

Hello,

yes I survived another day behind the wheel :astonished:
Started really nervous for the first few hours :frowning: not at driving the truck I think its the test is very near now only tomorrow training then its test day on Thursday!!! :blush:

Did the reverse 1st thing and went well no problems really just needed to get near side wheel closer to cone at beginning to make it easier but found it ok :smiley:

Then on to Harrogate/Knaresborough. Quite complicated and quite narrow in places but enjoyed it. One junction was hard, turning right from Wetherby Road A661 in Harrogate into Hookstone Chase. Tight bend that seemed to turn back on itself! Also with the metal pedestrian crossing fences on both sides. Had 3 goes at this and never did really get it right. I kept thinking I was going to hit the fence on the nearside but my instructor Paul (EDT) said I had loads of room :blush: Hopefully I won’t have to do that on the test but if I do I’ll give it my best shot! :sunglasses:

Then into Wetherby centre, quite narrow with parked cars, two mini roundabouts and loads of pedestrians! Ok with that though :smiley:
Quite a tiring and intense day but feel a better LGV driver for it. Paul says I’m about ready for the test so hoping for the fireworks on Thursday night :unamused:

Thanks again for the support :grimacing:
Rob

Good luck for Thursday
will keep fingers crossed
all the best
Jennie x

Good Luck with your test tomorrow

Last day of training today :confused:

Went well I think once I got over my morning nerves that are getting worse as the test gets nearer. I’m sat here now at 10PM the night before feeling quite sick and not looking forward to it :frowning:
Once I get into driving with loads of roundabouts and the harder stuff it takes my mind off it and i start to enjoy it :open_mouth:

Spent morning in north Leeds Roundhay area Etc
Went well but was told of a couple of things I could have failed on 1. Pulling out on a car on busy roundabout. I thought there was enough room but Paul said the car had to stop! :blush: 2. Not checking near side mirror when turning right from a juction box in middle of road to check over swing. :frowning:

Afternoon in York with a rest next to York Racecourse. Thats where the photo was taken with Paul my instructor.
Think this was better, didn’t really get told off in York :laughing:

I don’t know how I will go with the test, I know I can do it and can drive the truck but can I hold my nerve during the test? We shall see.
If I pass I’ll be so happy, if I fail I guess at least i’ll know what its like :unamused:
Rob

gardenvespa:
If I pass I’ll be so happy, if I fail I guess at least i’ll know what its like :unamused:

That’s already got to be the training quote of the year!! :smiley:

IMHO, that’s a cracking attitude to have, because not everybody passes at the first attempt. (Including me :blush: :blush: )