South West Scotland

aye i remember LTL (lockerbie Transport LImited).
they were the follow on from A Smith& Sons livestock .
LTL were based at Lockebie where Tescos are now ,the garage and offices were next to the abotoir that the Smiths owned.
when the family split up the business they sold the abotoir tae Hallal an s irish based company ,they moved out to next to the roads depot next to the 74. Craig Smith (grandson of A Smith &sons)(Annanbank farm,north of johnstone bridge) ran the opperation.
Raymond Mcgarr was roadboss and was a long time employee from the 60s livestock operation.
most o the workers were long timers.robbie linton,joe tennant.
.if i remember they ran from south of Edinburgh delivering TVs etc to London and had driver down for the wk unloading /loading .
they had contract for many yrs .
They ran ERFs atki borders,

No one mentions John Miller Ltd much
http://www.johnmillerlimited.co.uk/profile.html

Does any one know who does the haulage for James Jones & Sons Ltd out of Lockerbie?

Lockerbie Transport Ltd, MSW 468R

imagesCAX2XBRW.jpg

Surprised to see nobodys yet mention Robert Burns, he originally ran from Kirkcowan. Any body remember Rab Houston of Garlieston?

georgeking:
Company History - John Miller Limited

Does any one know who does the haulage for James Jones & Sons Ltd out of Lockerbie?

I think it’s Currie European and William Armstrong from longtown. The chips are done by Wm. Nichol and a w jenkinson.

scotsreiver:
Hi there
Anyone out there remember roland simey based in castle douglas, also morton boyle who used to deliver for tarf valley in his trusty old ERF , would,nt mind a pound for every mile on the clock on that one, I can just about remember the st ivel motors that hauled out of tarf creamery at ringford though cant recall what make the units were, keep the posts coming , all great memories :smiley:

Mostly Scammel & moved on to Bedford.

my renault:

georgeking:
Company History - John Miller Limited

I think it’s Currie European and William Armstrong from longtown. The chips are done by Wm. Nichol and a w jenkinson.

Thanks.

JIMBO47:
aye there were some good looking livestock companies,auld joe copland had some really good looking wagons in the 60s (highland Mary photo was up in Lanark mart for yrs.,A Smith & sons Lockerbie had a fleet o LAD Rievers,1 Hippo was a single drive :unamused: ,couple o chieftans. trucks were Maroon with gold lettering.and all had names on headboard starting wi Golden …arrow,eagle,plover,oriol…
thats all i can mind …drivers names are /were written on the wall of the black shed(inside) oppposite the lockerbie creamery at PRiestdykes farm. my late dads among them :cry: :cry: i was brought up at priestdykes 60–late 70s. ALSO Buchananans of AE bridge nice looking fleet.
even the Tag team wi the old Atki.6x4 float.
jimmy.

I lived next to Copelands at Beattock for a short while

ahh would that be where the lithgows lived next to old A74 , north of joes old yard .
did Mr.Hyslop (annandale transport ,among others ) buy joes yard/house.
jimmy

JIMBO47:
ahh would that be where the lithgows lived next to old A74 , north of joes old yard .
did Mr.Hyslop (annandale transport ,among others ) buy joes yard/house.
jimmy

It was right next to the old A74, I only lived there for a couple of months around 1985 before moving to Langholm, not too sure who lived there previously but I remember the place being called Hass Cottage.

thinks that the place :slight_smile: ,
been out of country a while now,but as a local boy that worked on the a74 out of harthill roads depot(lockerbie (late 70s )and going around wae my dad i can still mind a lot o older generation folk that lived in the airt.
jimmy.

Robert Waugh & Son, Annan.

Here’s some Southwester’s

BLUE BAND MOTORS 3. IRAQ..jpg

R WAUGH 2.jpg

R WAUGH 1.jpg

georgeking:

presto51:
tennants of forth■■?

They used to park up in Lockerbie at the time.

Tennant employed 2 Lockerbie men for over 30 years Ian Pattie and John Porteous, both had left LTL to join Tennant who at the time had the contract in the newly built Corrugated products factory (now DS Packaging) when Tennant lost that contract both men went onto tramping with Tennant working out of Ravenscraig and later bulk tippers hauling scrap.

Last time i was back in uk , Tennants still parked up the street from my mother ( at old creamery)at park place.
Thought all blue band mercs had been plated at 28tns …someone should show Gary this pic…
Eddie good photos lot o memories …wonder if they ever sorted the brakes on the Renault. :laughing:
jimmy.

JIMBO47:
Last time i was back in uk , Tennants still parked up the street from my mother ( at old creamery)at park place.
Thought all blue band mercs had been plated at 28tns …someone should show Gary this pic…
Eddie good photos lot o memories …wonder if they ever sorted the brakes on the Renault. :laughing:
jimmy.

John Porteous parked on Park Place, Ian Pattie parked on sydney place, behind the old coulthards guest house (lot of lorries parked up there over the years) both men still live there

Ian drove for blue band on the London Colney meat trunk originally, he is my dad
My uncle bill drove for Raes of Boreland for years, finished with stevensons of avonbridge, retired last year, still drives part time for a few locals

I worked for A Smith and Son in the slaughterhouse and at Annanbank, my uncle Wullie Irving was the tractorman there for years, I still work in the meat trade, but now live in West Wales, but i am back in Lockerbie every other weekend

Can any remembers Woodsides depot at Glenluce, I believe that they bought out a local haulier there.

Dukes and Montgomery also had depots in Stranraer, on Commerce Road, the later buying local Haulier Agnew and LIthgow, all gone now I do not think that their are any hauliers left in Stranraer.

aye , ya must have moved when the hallal chancers went down remember slim and some o the others going south for work…my uncle was wae Smiths for yrs at lockerbie ,wullie newlands …moved down to Bury st edmonds wi Dereck greggan…
Was brought up at priestdykes jimmy(monk) was my dad.
recon i know ya .
Billy kirkpatrick and andy k worked at annanbank as well yrs ago
i mind o wull irving…trying to mind beatock farms tractorman mcclung??.
jimmy.

georgeking:
Can any remembers Woodsides depot at Glenluce, I believe that they bought out a local haulier there.

Dukes and Montgomery also had depots in Stranraer, on Commerce Road, the later buying local Haulier Agnew and LIthgow, all gone now I do not think that their are any hauliers left in Stranraer.

HI George.
Woodsides shared a Yard with Moodies in Glenluce then bought them out in the 70s. Richardsons of Stranraer is still going i think they are quite an old Company not sure.
Ben.

JIMBO47:
aye , ya must have moved when the hallal chancers went down remember slim and some o the others going south for work…my uncle was wae Smiths for yrs at lockerbie ,wullie newlands …moved down to Bury st edmonds wi Dereck greggan…
Was brought up at priestdykes jimmy(monk) was my dad.
recon i know ya .
Billy kirkpatrick and andy k worked at annanbank as well yrs ago
i mind o wull irving…trying to mind beatock farms tractorman mcclung??.
jimmy.

SMALL WORLD! I lived next door to your mum and dad in Nichols auld house when i first got married (now divorced), moved to Rosebank before moving to Wales. I knew Wullie and Greggan well. I took a pile o boys down to Wales originally.
I have always been truck mad due to my dad being a driver, couldnt get my licence due to a bad eye. Most of my pals are drivers, working for Scott Young (raes old yard) john miller, and Keith Murray who now has a few trucks of his own