South West Scotland

Just joined this link. I saw photo of Culbae for pigs Foden reminded me that in the 60s that they use to run a DODGE float which came through the Chorley (LANCS) A6 road most Monday evenings. could almost set clock by it. It must have been an uncomfortable drive as the engine was v noisy you could hear it coming almost before you saw it.

One of my favourite parts of the UK is South West Scotland for such a rural area it has some excellent fleets such as:-
William Halliday - Kirkpatrick Fleming
Ian Wright - Eaglesfield
Eardley Int - Ecclefechan
Charlie Lauder - Dumfries
Wm Nichol - Lochmaben
Scott Trawlers - Lochfoot
MR Clark - Kirkgunzeon
T&P Niven - Palnackie
A Kerr - Castle Douglas
MacTaggart Bros - Castle Douglas
Martin Jolly - Wigtown
John Miller - Dumfries
Blue Band Motors - Lockerbie
Agnew & Lithgow - Stranraer
John M Young - Langholm
TC Brown - Lochmaben

And of course the legendary:-
Currie European - Dumfries
Hayton Coulthard — Twynholm

Many of these have stopped trading however some are still in business today.

I remember some of them George,particularly Wm Halliday,T and P Niven,Hayton Coulthard,Agnew and Lithgow,T C Brown and Blue Band motors.Curries of course :smiley: .I know Curries are still going,are any of the others? Coulthard motors had a great livery like a lot of Scottish hauliers. Is the Wm Nichol at Lochmaben the same company as the Nichol from Aberdeen with tankers?

Chris Webb:
I remember some of them George,particularly Wm Halliday,T and P Niven,Hayton Coulthard,Agnew and Lithgow,T C Brown and Blue Band motors.Curries of course :smiley: .I know Curries are still going,are any of the others? Coulthard motors had a great livery like a lot of Scottish hauliers. Is the Wm Nichol at Lochmaben the same company as the Nichol from Aberdeen with tankers?

Most of them are still in business out of that list only 4 have ceased, the Nichols are different people. Curries not longer seem to have top of the range vehicles running to Europe, they have changed their livery to white and run smaller cab vehicles.

Hayton Coulthard now have a joint venture with Gregory’s still have an immaculate fleet but I think most are owner drivers or Gregory’s vehicles.

This is a shot of a nice 2ndh and Seddon tractor we bought ex M R Clark of Kirkgunzean (spelling?) If I re-call the firm was run by two brothers one of which was called Alistair (Ithink).

Bewick:
This is a shot of a nice 2ndh and Seddon tractor we bought ex M R Clark of Kirkgunzean (spelling?) If I re-call the firm was run by two brothers one of which was called Alistair (Ithink).

It is Kirkgunzeon.
Alas I believe MR Clark are no longer in business, I think they were purchased by Wishart International.

Thanks for the photos stravaiger, especially the TC Brown and Blue Band Motors.

stravaiger:
Still looking for pics. In the meantime here’s a clip of longish story I picked up on the net about a guy and some of his bus and van driving days. This little piece I put aside and it may trigger memories and comment from others on here. To think on how you would be tripping over firms like this as you went about and now how little we have in the way of stories and photos. Everybody remembers carriers, possibly even used their services, but none of us it seems stood long enough to snap one or two. Probably saving the film for the next big shiny swede :slight_smile: …jim

On the subject of coaches & buses, I remember a couple of bus companies in the area one was Jock Creighton of Moffat, he also owned the petrol station on the High Street, his buses were on the Lockerbie - Moffat route plus he had a few running services around Moffat. There was also Gibsons of Moffat who were based on the A701 between Moffat and Dumfries. Whilst they ran the Dumfries - Moffat service, their coaches were slightly more luxurious and were also on long distance work.

ray motors of boreland.ran lorries .also a bus on lockerbie to eskdalmuir run
big dal used to drive 1 of there lorries

presto51:
ray motors of boreland.ran lorries .also a bus on lockerbie to eskdalmuir run
big dal used to drive 1 of there lorries

Where they the blue ERF’s?

aye. they were blue.at the end ran a scania on timber.before retiring

stravaiger was the photo taken from town hall .no photos myself. :frowning:
finnie as the photo shows hauls a lot for hasteck
montgommery went belly up .now runs the townhead hotel+taxis
annandale based beattock.had a big sale recently advert in commercial motor mag
still trading have seen them pulling timber .not seen that scania.u got any more photos

This photo was taken in the council yard in Lockerbie in the 80s.Glass Glover Distribution used to change over in there on both days and nights with our Newbridge drivers.The driver is Kevin Coley and this was the Littlewoods contract and the Scania was reg no. K500 GGD,being the 500th Scania that MFS - part of Glass Glover Distribution - bought.Not sure who owned the tipper in the background,the yard was worse than the Coatesgate cafe lorry park. :smiley:

tennants of forth■■?

stravaiger:
Any knowledge of this firm?..jim

Annandale were based in Beattock, they have traded under different names, Annandale Transport, Annandale Coal Company etc I believe they were owned by a J Hislop. At one time they had about 20-30 Volvo tippers in a black livery.

presto51:
tennants of forth■■?

They used to park up in Lockerbie at the time.