South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

DEANB:

pete 359:
Hi all,
A relation of J&M,kindly called into work today.He gave me these.Great period photos.In the first shot,I can see Cliff Godwin standing in front of TUH 1S,Is that Ronny Wright in front of 598S?

Great pics of the Transcons Andrew. In that first pic is the first one a Hick’s motor ?

Hi Dean,
All the Transcontinental in that first picture were new to J&M Transport. I think that is Ron Jones in that shot? He was the J in J&M. The blue and white was one of many two tone paint options offered by Ford back then…
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

DEANB:

pete 359:
Hi all,
A relation of J&M,kindly called into work today.He gave me these.Great period photos.In the first shot,I can see Cliff Godwin standing in front of TUH 1S,Is that Ronny Wright in front of 598S?

Great pics of the Transcons Andrew. In that first pic is the first one a Hick’s motor ?

Hi Dean,
All the Transcontinental in that first picture were new to J&M Transport. I think that is Ron Jones in that shot? He was the J in J&M. The blue and white was one of many two tone paint options offered by Ford back then…
Regards Andrew.

I vaguely remember talking a few times to a guy called John Morgan from Porthcawl that was ( i think ) an owner driver, these would have been in the early seventies perhaps you can give a bit of info on this.

Clive.

ANDREWDAX:

pete 359:

DEANB:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hi Dean,
Regards Andrew.

I vaguely remember talking a few times to a guy called John Morgan from Porthcawl that was ( i think ) an owner driver, these would have been in the early seventies perhaps you can give a bit of info on this.

Clive.

Hi Clive,
Can you please be a little more specific? There’s a lot of John Morgan’s in South Wales…
Regards Andrew.

Hello Andrew, it is Ronnie Left alongside Cliff.
The shot of the tractor hooked up to the rear dolly was from the time they were hauling concrete bridge beams from Costain Concrete which was where Tesco now stands.
As you probably know there was no trailer used. the beams were chained down to the carrier on the fifth wheel and to an independent dolly at the back end
A good picture of John Morgan looking on, I can`t recognise anybody else.
Best Wishes
Mike

Bookworm:
Hello Andrew, it is Ronnie Left alongside Cliff.
The shot of the tractor hooked up to the rear dolly was from the time they were hauling concrete bridge beams from Costain Concrete which was where Tesco now stands.
As you probably know there was no trailer used. the beams were chained down to the carrier on the fifth wheel and to an independent dolly at the back end
A good picture of John Morgan looking on, I can`t recognise anybody else.
Best Wishes
Mike

Good evening Mike,
I was hoping you’d see that photo.Thanks very much.I remember J&M buying an old scammell chassis,cutting it in half,remove the front running gear and put one rail on top of the other,so double chassis effectively.They took Costain beams all over the country with that.Frodsham flyover M56 all came from Bridgend,back then.
Regards Andrew.

Hello Andrew. Im sure it was one of those beams that one of Tony Morgans had on when it fell off the M4 Aberkenfig bypass and was wrecked in the river below.
Mike

Bookworm:
Hello Andrew. Im sure it was one of those beams that one of Tony Morgans had on when it fell off the M4 Aberkenfig bypass and was wrecked in the river below.
Mike

Good morning Mike,
You’re right again.Turned the big MACK over wrecking the cab.Directly under the bottom of the dip before junction 36.
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

DEANB:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hi Dean,
Regards Andrew.

Ok thanks. :wink:

pete 359:

Bookworm:
Mike

Good morning Mike,
You’re right again.Turned the big MACK over wrecking the cab.Directly under the bottom of the dip before junction 36.
Regards Andrew.

I worked with big doug who turned over with the concrete beam for the m4 at Aberkenfig he told me he was not Happy to enter the site and phoned his boss who instructed to go in witch resulted with it rolling over, doug reconed the transcontinental suspension was bottomed out with the load compared to the mack he always rated the f12 volvo which replaced the mack a far better truck . All the best Alan

Hi all,
A few here,I’ve found online,first a Ron Weatherall photo of an Atki Defender? An ERF rigid and a classic welsh BRS Octopus.

Hi all,
Let’s have a few of WYNNS…

pete 359:
Hi all,

Wynns must have been the most photographed heavy haulier back then.

Click on to read. 1976.

hh wynns 761 psw.PNG

To celebrate Atkinson 50th anniversary this iveco are putting atki badges on their fords,

DEANB:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Wynns must have been the most photographed heavy haulier back then.

Click on to read. 1976.

That pic of Dean’s was taken at Chapel Ash island on Wolverhampton ring road, they are going around the island the wrong way. As a kid I lived 1.5 miles away from this location which was ideally placed to watch any of the Wynns loads travelling north up the A41, they usually sent another Scammell to give the loads a shove up the rock, a very steep bit of road and I even witnessed them using the hovercraft technology when crossing vulnerable bridges

Hi all,
A few here of Ronnie S.Evans,loading Dolomet and tipping it,in The Abbey…

Hi all,
A few here Courtesy of Chris Richards.Carline Distribution.

Hi all,
Found these on an old phone.

1. my father,in front of a brand new Joint Atki.
  2. Scammell Contractor wrecker @ jct. 35. M4.
  3. 16 litre V8 Mack powered Magnum.
  4. Crusader from Hughes Haulage Llanelli.

Hi all,
Classic shot here,From 40 years ago.Allen Esposti and Jeff Wilden,Both real names in South Wales steel haulage,Standing in front of their stunning White Road Commander 2’s…

E9DA09A0-24F5-469E-8D22-732A157AF8AA.jpeg

Hi all,
A lovely period shot here,D.J.Thomas Llanarth.