South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

pete 359:

Punchy Dan:

pete 359:

Punchy Dan:
I’ve been at Pontlliw today next to Walters Shame I didn’t have time to go have a nosey although I thought I spotted a blue ERF artic going in pulling a red scrap tipper ?

Hi Dan,
That blue Olympic you saw is owned by A.J.T. Recycling,they are clearing the site.525 in her,I think? Below is the Philippines version of Pontlliw…

Hi Andrew it did sound a bit deep :sunglasses: but you never know it could of been a noisy L10 so a waste of a good photo :laughing: if I’d have known it was PROPER I’d definitely had gone round :wink: ,why are they clearing out ? Looks like I was too late then :cry: cheers Dan .

Hi Dan,
Checked earlier with the owners son,it is a 525.Afaiaa,the whole site is to be cleared.This beautiful piece of South Wales haulage nostalgia was found there…

Morning Andrew,
A nice bit of history there, is it going on your wall of fame?

Pound says it’s up there now :smiley:

Andrew, where was that other yard, had a good few leylands and Aec remains and an 88 …near a viaduct■■?, near Rhys Davis yard…or am I miles off, it was late 90,s :open_mouth:

steelboyf10:
You are probably correct Graham, how is your motor coming along?

Andrew, where was that other yard, had a good few leylands and Aec remains and an 88 …near a viaduct■■?, near Rhys Davis yard…or am I miles off, it was late 90,s :open_mouth:

Slowly…few bits to do when it comes back, so on the road for next show season …in 2027 :open_mouth: :cry:

pete smith:

steelboyf10:

pete smith:

steelboyf10:

Hi both,
Graham you’re right about that yard in Rhydfelen,near Pontypridd,the whole place was cleared when the new?,10 years ago anyway,Road was built on what we know as power station hill.Tbh I don’t know what happened to the lorries left there,was a complete sleeper cab Marathon in there ex Hills of Cardiff amongst lots of other classic motors.Pete you’ve lost your pound,the finder kept the door.Tbf I couldn’t blame him.
The Magnum project is coming along well, it’s a year on Monday I bought it! Be interesting to see what events will be going ahead in 2021,doesn’t look too promising to me right now tbh…
Regards Andrew.

I’ve heard that it’s been said from FB that nothing will be sold and the scrap man is taking everything from Walters .

Hi Andrew,
That Phillip Jones door panel you posted there is a blast from the past…the sign writing on that door was quality coach paint and quality sign writing.
The Studs Crusader you posted earlier this week was also an Ex Phillip Jones tractor…I remember her well very hard worked tractor under Phillip Jones…here is a pic of her caught by Paul Gee

A01686.JPG

45A8DC1D-E585-41BA-9B76-2E2FE76F44A0 (1).png

pete 359:

pete smith:

steelboyf10:

Hi both,
Graham you’re right about that yard in Rhydfelen,near Pontypridd,the whole place was cleared when the new?,10 years ago anyway,Road was built on what we know as power station hill.Tbh I don’t know what happened to the lorries left there,was a complete sleeper cab Marathon in there ex Hills of Cardiff amongst lots of other classic motors.Pete you’ve lost your pound,the finder kept the door.Tbf I couldn’t blame him.
The Magnum project is coming along well, it’s a year on Monday I bought it! Be interesting to see what events will be going ahead in 2021,doesn’t look too promising to me right now tbh…
Regards Andrew.

Hi Andrew/Graham,
Good to see progress is being made on both your projects, lets hope you will have somewhere to show them next year?
I’d better get some pics of Steelboy’s motor to you Andrew so he can get on your wall of fame, hopefully it will save me a Quid!! Cheer’s Pete

Hi Andrew,is roy Davies volvo ex jr as that and the trailer looks like a jr set up with the colours

smallcoal:
Hi Andrew,is roy Davies volvo ex jr as that and the trailer looks like a jr set up with the colours

Hi Smallcoal,
E501 was new to JR.Roy Davies was a stubby from I think Sennybridge? I found a few oldies earlier;
My A series at work in South Cornelly September 1997
Adjhumal Kahn fixing the seized range change in Port Talbot
Cliff Ashley’s long term loan vehicle from Mercedes

9368E74E-3FCE-47A6-A103-02643DE4C5F0.jpeg

40C926FA-6702-45CA-AB8F-4D2A31D4DF1B.jpeg

pete 359:

smallcoal:

Hi Smallcoal,
E501 was new to JR.Roy Davies was a stubby from I think Sennybridge? I found a few oldies earlier;
My A series at work in South Cornelly September 1997
Adjhumal Kahn fixing the seized range change in Port Talbot
Cliff Ashley’s long term loan vehicle from Mercedes

Adjhi what a character he was I remember when he used to put his sandwich on the heater to warm every day the smell of curry used to stink the canteen out ,one thing about his skill he could patch anything up from scrap waste a good fitter as with all joints fitters they were brilliant

Right , a little teaser for the natives of God’s Country . In 1985 I was issued a Foden double drive, painted battleship grey with an air deflector , b247ath came from Cardiff . It had hydraulics for possibly a walking floor trailer and I often wondered who the original owner was . It was well worn and the Rolls 290 had more rebuilds than enough , oh , remembered it had super singles on the drive axles useless on the snow up our neck of the woods . Dave

rigsby:
Right , a little teaser for the natives of God’s Country . In 1985 I was issued a Foden double drive, painted battleship grey with an air deflector , b247ath came from Cardiff . It had hydraulics for possibly a walking floor trailer and I often wondered who the original owner was . It was well worn and the Rolls 290 had more rebuilds than enough , oh , remembered it had super singles on the drive axles useless on the snow up our neck of the woods . Dave

Hi Rigsby,
United Transport Penarth Road Cardiff.
Regards Andrew

Hi all,
Let’s have some welsh Transcon’s…

All credit to Shaun Ballisat for use of this photo.
Oily

TKN Shaun Ballisat Gaydon 2020.jpg

pete 359:

rigsby:

Hi Rigsby,
United Transport Penarth Road Cardiff.
Regards Andrew

All those years wondering about that lorry Andrew , and the answer forthcoming in an instant . No wonder they sold it on , it was a lemon from day one and spent as much time over the pit as earning . It encouraged me to seek pastures new , if the wheels weren’t turning I wasn’t earning .

pete 359:
Hi all,
Let’s have some welsh Transcon’s…

I dont remember the Transcon’s but i am fairly certain a 142 and then 143 followed later on. Think the drivers name of the 143 was
Glynn ■■

Bad news announced yesterday, and Paul Gee just told me about it.

DEANB:
Bad news announced yesterday, and Paul Gee just told me about it.

after that was announced Clarke’s took 4of the clients on board doubling our workload and not enough trucks to cover it ,