South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Wat a fantastic time mr cooper and mister johnstone brilliant weekend

Hi all,
Some images of the 2019 Retro Truck Show,fantastic turnout.Great to see so many there from South Wales.Images Courtesy of Ben Sheldrake and his excellent Truckblog.

0C696410-DEE6-476A-8389-1A503EC198EC.jpeg

That allan James has got a video on you tube driving that merc ,I would swap my merc for one of those anytime,Andrew I found out the name a andy griffin that got griffin transport he is from port talbot but the yard is in llantrisant one of our ex driver works there

rward:

Hi all. Andrew, sounds as if yourself Rowl’y and Neil had a good time at the Retro show. No doubt many others joined the fun! I see Rowly’s tilt there, which tractor did he pull it with?
Hopefully you are recovered by now, would you or Neil be able to post a few photo’s.
Regards Paul

Paul John:

rward:

Hi all. Andrew, sounds as if yourself Rowl’y and Neil had a good time at the Retro show. No doubt many others joined the fun! I see Rowly’s tilt there, which tractor did he pull it with?
Hopefully you are recovered by now, would you or Neil be able to post a few photo’s.
Regards Paul

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the reply.Great to see Rowly out in the 141 again.These are courtesy of Ryan Senior,not sure who took the one of me and my Geordie mates in the F16 though …

A98616A1-2EF7-443C-879C-5CEA6BC5B451.jpeg

Hi all,
A few welsh lorries here…

Hi Andrew, thanks for the show photos. Rowly’s 141 and tilt is certainly impressive.
No wonder it took you a few days to recover, looks as if you and you mates were in a happy place. Tremendous.

The Hoover shot is an old one, possibly from the start up of the factory! The Short brothers Foden wouldn’t of been clean or mint for long as they worked everything hard and for many years. Looks as if it was based in Hirwaun. Not sure if the driver works for the dealership or if it was a Shorts driver. I remember an old boy who always wore a busman’s style cap and jacket.

Thanks again, Paul

098A83D3-4073-4193-BFF3-E768D97C5A8C.jpeg

55F7F565-C3FF-48E4-BFC0-4F304275E3EF.jpeg

I have some photos of clive fell lorrys if u guys would like to see

Ewantap4:
I have some photos of clive fell lorrys if u guys would like to see

Hi,
Thanks,that would be great.Can’t say I recall the firm?

Now that out fit would give a good pay load :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi all,another firm ceased trading brt from barry,my mate squaddie ex m&g worked for them I was talking to him yesterday

image.jpeg

Hi all,
Hundreds of mourners and dozens of different vehicles of all types attended the funeral of a great friend of mine,last Saturday.Jason Allen from just over the border at Ross On Wye,a tragic loss,though a perfect tribute to a man who enabled me to import my Peterbilt 359 back in 2008.Sleep easy Jas…

B8C565C4-6A14-4BB7-922A-40828A6537F8.jpeg

Hi Andrew ,a fitting tribute there on his last journey before hitting the highway in the sky ,phoned my mate Ray he not heard of that bloke so he couldn’t have been on the steel ■■? ,I was talking to piggy Keith the haulier from cymmer I mentioned Keith said they had a builders yard as well

Small Coal
Hi John
Would the company you spoke to Keith Williams about have been E J Miles of Cymmer ?.
If so I remember them from when I first went in to the Abbey in the mid sixties driving a four wheeler.
They ran a few Albion Rievers one being driven by the son John and if I remember correctly an Atki Black Knight artic. Also about at that time was O,conners from the old saw mill in Margam opposite where Bevingtons was or before that the Blue Star Garage. O,Conners also ran a Riever
Pant du had an Austin four wheeler in the Abbey on the steel driven by a guy named Terry from Maesteg
More nostalgia !!
Regards Allan

Mrsteel:
Small Coal
Hi John
Would the company you spoke to Keith Williams about have been E J Miles of Cymmer ?.
If so I remember them from when I first went in to the Abbey in the mid sixties driving a four wheeler.
They ran a few Albion Rievers one being driven by the son John and if I remember correctly an Atki Black Knight artic. Also about at that time was O,conners from the old saw mill in Margam opposite where Bevingtons was or before that the Blue Star Garage. O,Conners also ran a Riever
Pant du had an Austin four wheeler in the Abbey on the steel driven by a guy named Terry from Maesteg
More nostalgia !!
Regards Allan

Hello Allan,they are names I heard of but for some reason there’s gore transport cymmer kids football was sponsored by gores he had a red guy I don’t know if he was related to a j gore ,miles was that dai miles belonging to e j miles ,remember graham shunter with raymonds he just retired from us he was on nights he been there for years ,cheers John

ERF dealer advert from 1960.

Click on page.

Swansea Steel Atkinson.

wales swansea steel ppg psw.PNG

Hi Dean, I knew the Carr’s Flour Mills ERF 8 wheeler Carmichael flour tanker well,(top right in your advert) registered CFM 5 long before private plates were the fashion this was Carr’s first bulk flour tanker driven by a chap called Matt Skinner. I worked alongside it loadind farm feeds in bags then at their Silloth Mill as a contactor. The ERF gave many years good service. Here it is with other members of the fleet a few years later. The 6 wheeler farm feed tanker WHH 397 alongside is now preserved as a tipper. The chassis cab of AHH 104 B on the right still exists and is available for preservation I believe.
Cheers Leyland 600.

Carrs 3 Tanker Fleet.JPG

Leyland600:
Hi Dean, I knew the Carr’s Flour Mills ERF 8 wheeler Carmichael flour tanker well,(top right in your advert) registered CFM 5 long before private plates were the fashion this was Carr’s first bulk flour tanker driven by a chap called Matt Skinner. I worked alongside it loadind farm feeds in bags then at their Silloth Mill as a contactor. The ERF gave many years good service. Here it is with other members of the fleet a few years later. The 6 wheeler farm feed tanker WHH 397 alongside is now preserved as a tipper. The chassis cab of AHH 104 B on the right still exists and is available for preservation I believe.
Cheers Leyland 600.

Its a small world “Leyland 600” cracking pic chap ! :wink:

Hi all ,I found an old CB mag from October 1985 this advert was in it