South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

pete smith:
Morning Andrew,
Cracking photo’s from Chris mate, can’t compete with those!
One of P M Rees, N.M.P, I remember Ree’s coming into to EMR (Coopers) at Smethwick for the tin can bales for Port Talbot, it was once a Joints backload, probably 10 a day in there at one time, Cheer’s Pete

Hi Pete,
That’s been a big job all my lifetime.Scrap from all over the uk to The Abbey,the incinerator bales were the worst,all sorts in there and a bit? of an aroma on a warm day.Most of it seems to be moved in bulkers now ,as your probably aware.Though you still see quite a few flat bed loads.Here is a classic WYNNS shot I found online,I thinks it Hartlepool?

Hi Andrew,joints with scrap bales of deans page ,I used to hate them big bales net and straps over them all the time ,I seen m&m Greene running solo Friday by magor has there been any shows on

image.jpeg

pete 359:

pete smith:
Morning Andrew,
Cracking photo’s from Chris mate, can’t compete with those!
One of P M Rees, N.M.P, I remember Ree’s coming into to EMR (Coopers) at Smethwick for the tin can bales for Port Talbot, it was once a Joints backload, probably 10 a day in there at one time, Cheer’s Pete

Hi Pete,
That’s been a big job all my lifetime.Scrap from all over the uk to The Abbey,the incinerator bales were the worst,all sorts in there and a bit? of an aroma on a warm day.Most of it seems to be moved in bulkers now ,as your probably aware.Though you still see quite a few flat bed loads.Here is a classic WYNNS shot I found online,I thinks it Hartlepool?

Morning Andrew,
They used to stink those bales and when you tipped the incinerator scrap for the lads to bale you could guarantee that at least half a dozen rats would be in the load! Just before I finished on the scrap Ainsworth and Martin used to come in for a few loads daily then it went on the train, 1,200 ton a time at least one a week, Cheer’s Pete

smallcoal:
I seen m&m Greene running solo Friday by magor has there been any shows on

Shepton Mallet truckfest

Morning Andrew,
In Newport this morning, demo job on Newport docks, got this Scania on hire, Swansea company doing the demo from Forrest Fach, they used to be based opposite the Liberty Stadium, back on the road for a few days, ain’t enjoying it to be honest! Cheers Pete

This photo was taken at codebuild builders merchants wandsworth,Smugglers Way.
For a short while A to Z renamed it Friendship way.You had to nearly jacknife on your blindside with a wall and lots of debris opposite.
To make things worse tipper drivers blasting their horns to get to the sewage works at the dead end which you used to turn around.

IMG_3930.JPG

scania81:
This photo was taken at codebuild builders merchants wandsworth,Smugglers Way.
For a short while A to Z renamed it Friendship way.You had to nearly jacknife on your blindside with a wall and lots of debris opposite.
To make things worse tipper drivers blasting their horns to get to the sewage works at the dead end which you used to turn around.

This is now a Lawsons builders merchants , building on left has gone replaced by large modern warehouse type building , no reversing in to yard unloading is done on street
One problem is there’s a large waste disposal site other side of the road and a B&Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clipping from 1966.

wales cyprien 66.PNG

Hi all,
Picture courtesy of Nick Eagle,It’s a long way from Llanelli to Gothenburg in a day cab D series…

pete 359:
Hi all,
Picture courtesy of Nick Eagle,It’s a long way from Llanelli to Gothenburg in a day cab D series…

It would be far enough for me from Llanelli to Swansea in a D series Andrew!

pete smith:

pete 359:
Hi all,

It would be far enough for me from Llanelli to Swansea in a D series Andrew!

Hi Pete I used to enjoy delivering furniture all over uk in one of them Christies loved them and all the furniture boys :smiley:

Hi all. Andrew just been catching up with last few months Truck & Driver. Nice write up about your friend Kelvin. Haven’t read all of this months yet, but noticed our old friend Brian Weatherly doing a cab test and report on the FH Volvo’s.
Retro this weekend, I’ll make it one year. From the mags view point looks as if Convoy in the Park is a good event.

Paul

Paul John:
Hi all. Andrew just been catching up with last few months Truck & Driver. Nice write up about your friend Kelvin. Haven’t read all of this months yet, but noticed our old friend Brian Weatherly doing a cab test and report on the FH Volvo’s.
Retro this weekend, I’ll make it one year. From the mags view point looks as if Convoy in the Park is a good event.

Paul

Hi Paul,
Good to see Kelvin’s memory remembered by members of the industry he loved.The Retro went very well.Some great trucks,some of which I’ve only ever seen there.I met up with my mate in Chipping Norton on Friday night,he’d borrowed another mates 143…

268BD662-C48B-4A35-88CE-0CE84E745EDB.jpeg

A few classic welsh eight wheelers…

pete 359:

Paul John:

Paul

Hi Paul,
Good to see Kelvin’s memory remembered by members of the industry he loved.The Retro went very well.Some great trucks,some of which I’ve only ever seen there.I met up with my mate in Chipping Norton on Friday night,he’d borrowed another mates 143…

I saw you bobtail Westbound on Sunday night Andrew, coincidentally I was also solo but heading East, the Merc’s looking well and still holding it’s own out there.

I took this photo up at the TT Grandstand paddock in Douglas Isle of Man a few years ago,maybe 2007. I notice it’s got a Cardiff reg plate so maybe one of you Welsh lads might recognise it.

iom62.jpg

Chris Webb:
I took this photo up at the TT Grandstand paddock in Douglas Isle of Man a few years ago,maybe 2007. I notice it’s got a Cardiff reg plate so maybe one of you Welsh lads might recognise it.

Hi Chris,
DW was actually a Newport reg back before the change.
Regards Mark

marktaff:

Chris Webb:

Hi Chris,
DW was actually a Newport reg back before the change.
Regards Mark

Yes Mark,it changed in 1974 to Cardiff.

Hills of Cardiff from 1966.

wales hills 66 psw ppg.PNG

DEANB:
Hills of Cardiff from 1966.

That Mandator would be hard work with a 691 in her,they fitted that engine in the late MK5 Mammoth Majors and Mandators. A E Evans had one ex Harold Wood on a 1966 plate and eventually put a 760 in it and the 691 was put into a MK5 Mammoth Major.