South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Hi Simon,
Thanks for the reply.Here is another ex J.R.driver,that I dare say you’ll remember? ■■■■ Hopkins (R.I.P.) though many years before he drove for them he drove for J&M on Stormy Down,■■■■ was very good to me as a kid,went on many trips with him.His last job was with Cardiff Transport as can be seen in this Martin Perry photo…

pete 359:
Hi Simon,
Thanks for the reply.Here is another ex J.R.driver,that I dare say you’ll remember? ■■■■ Hopkins (R.I.P.) though many years before he drove for them he drove for J&M on Stormy Down,■■■■ was very good to me as a kid,went on many trips with him.His last job was with Cardiff Transport as can be seen in this Martin Perry photo…

Indeed, held a lot of respect for ‘Big ■■■■’ (R.I.P.) always looked after his truck very well, always on top of anything needing replacing, could sometimes be a bit of a pain nagging for extra lights to be wired in etc… Air horns, you name it he brought it to me to fit, CB, aerials… Earned a bit of overtime from things like that! :slight_smile: Cheers ■■■■! I’m sure he’s done the mileage on the highways of heaven as well by now. Always made us laugh in the garage.

This Foden isn’t what I would call a welsh motor? Though the headboard says otherwise? Never heard of Chancel Transport (South Wales) tbh…

pete 359:
This Foden isn’t what I would call a welsh motor? Though the headboard says otherwise? Never heard of Chancel Transport (South Wales) tbh…

That is a fine looking outfit Andrew, 240 LXB plus a right tidy sheeting and roping job ! Not my idea of a decent motor but a fine sight all the same anyway so top marks to that Driver ! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

pete 359:

That is a fine looking outfit Andrew, 240 LXB plus a right tidy sheeting and roping job ! Not my idea of a decent motor but a fine sight all the same anyway so top marks to that Driver ! Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis,
Thanks for that mate.Here,courtesy of Chris Richards are a few from Llanfyrnach,hauling steel…

Another courtesy of Chris Richards.An M.R.J.Philips 401…

A.J.Parfitt’s yard,Brynteg 1958…

Hi all,
I found this on a Scania page on Facebook.Looks like a bubbleman image to me? And tbh,other than the obvious,I’ve no idea!

Hi all,
Courtesy of David Thomas from Brynmawr.An old hard worked Scammell coming through Ebbw Vale…

pete 359:
Hi all,
Courtesy of David Thomas from Brynmawr.An old hard worked Scammell coming through Ebbw Vale…

Nerve’s of steel to come down the valleys with that outfit, tough men and even tougher motors back then!
Who is the operator Andrew? must have been a large outfit as it has a fleet number of 170!

pete smith:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Nerve’s of steel to come down the valleys with that outfit, tough men and even tougher motors back then!
Who is the operator Andrew? must have been a large outfit as it has a fleet number of 170!

Hiya,
The fleet number is nothing to go by I once drove a motor with fleet
number 103 and the firm’s total motor count was four vehicles.
thanks harry, long retired.

harry_gill:

pete smith:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hiya,

Afternoon Harry,
Hope you are keeping well?
Regarding the fleet numbers, first time I saw it done was a friend of mine had jsut restored his steam roller and painted number 3 on it,his reasoning was people would think he had at least 3 of them! Cheer’s Pete

pete smith:

harry_gill:

pete smith:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hiya,

Afternoon Harry,
Hope you are keeping well?
Regarding the fleet numbers, first time I saw it done was a friend of mine had jsut restored his steam roller and painted number 3 on it,his reasoning was people would think he had at least 3 of them! Cheer’s Pete

Hi Harry, Pete, I know someone in Cardiff currently has near 30 numbers on his vans, it’s the number of vans he’s gone through since starting! But if you listen to him he has 30 on the road and three yards, bit of a Berty b##sh##tter, Simon

Cardiff Transport ERF.

One for mr ward this is in gilders bourton on the water cheers John

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Owens Mercedes.

Hi all,
I don’t think we’ve seen this GUY image on here before? I remember going to Tony Morgan’s yard in the 1970’s.The first time I ever went there,he was converting,maybe? this actual Guy from a rigid to an artic unit.Tony later went onto run some very big heavy haulage gear…