South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

pete smith:
Not sure if this has been posted before Andrew, did search google! Is that one of Morris Brothers parked next to it? Cheer’s Pete

Tipping a load of euro clad at London road Stroud.
I used to help out on my days off at John T Evans to keep my hands in.
Dai

IMG_3940.JPG

pete smith:
Not sure if this has been posted before Andrew, did search google! Is that one of Morris Brothers parked next to it? Cheer’s Pete

Hi Pete Iwould go for one of Bassets Tittensor ?

Ianto full pelt:

pete smith:

Hi Pete Iwould go for one of Bassets Tittensor ?

No, not Bassett - they didn’t have a stripe like that, although the colours are similar

240 Gardner:

Just an observation/question as those fuel figures are fairly impressive were the JR motors loaded back to S. Wales ? Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

240 Gardner:

Just an observation/question as those fuel figures are fairly impressive were the JR motors loaded back to S. Wales ? Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis,
yes mate,they were loaded both ways on the intensive witney changeover work.Funnily enough Bernard “the bolt” Lewis called into work recently and he and i were chatting about it,Bernard drove for J.R.for over 40 years.An Atki he had new with JR was the first fitted with a fuller range change box and a service recorder.
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

Bewick:

240 Gardner:

Hi Dennis,
yes mate,they were loaded both ways on the intensive witney changeover work.Funnily enough Bernard “the bolt” Lewis called into work recently and he and i were chatting about it,Bernard drove for J.R.for over 40 years.An Atki he had new with JR was the first fitted with a fuller range change box and a service recorder.
Regards Andrew.

I took these Maldwyn Davies photos in 1985,my late uncle lived opposite the old yard which is now housing.
The Daf was driven by Clive? but it went like the clappers.

IMG_3935 (1).JPG

IMG_3939.JPG

Hi all,
Big thanks to Pete Smith for sending an old nostalgia book about The Steel Company of Wales’ Margam works.This photo is the former main entrance,this rigid is pictured leaving The Abbey,The new road runs right passed we’re this lorry is photographed.over the years there must have been trillions of Tonnes of steel on lorries that started their journey there…

scania81:

pete 359:

Bewick:

240 Gardner:

Hi Dennis,
Regards Andrew.

I took these Maldwyn Davies photos in 1985,my late uncle lived opposite the old yard which is now housing.
The Daf was driven by Clive? but it went like the clappers.

IMG_3934.JPG

pete 359:

Bewick:

240 Gardner:

Hi Dennis,
Regards Andrew.

Thanks for the “gen” Andrew ! You know me, interested in all things Atky. Now those shots of the JR motor look like it is a pre Borderer by the look of the fuel tank so it would be Silver Knight which was a sort of “interim” model between the Mk1 and the arrival of the Borderer in 1970 IIRC. So the JR Atky would be one ( or the first) of the first fitted with the Fuller RTO 610 box ! I recall when I bought our first Borderer it had the RTO 610 box and I recall one or two haulier Pals rubbishing this “new fangled” box, “can’t beat the David Brown 6:600” Well that prediction certainly proved to be bollox big style ! As far as I was concerned the Fuller box was bomb proof unlike the poxy DB box particularly behind the ■■■■■■■ engines. Memories, boring memories ! Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis and Dai,
Those memories aren’t boring me mate,i can assure you.I think Bernie told me it was new in 1967 or 68? The Atki in the article,was so i am told? a seed vehicle supplied discounted to JR,for vehicle evaluation whilst at work.I echo your thoughts on the Brown V Fuller,no contest imo.They were that good then that they still use them now! Can’t recall the last time i saw a Dai Brown box in a new truck? Thanks for the Maldwyn Davies shots,i remember the firm well.when i had my F88 one year at the Swansea festival of Transport he came across and introduced himself to me,a really nice guy. i met him again several times at a few other events.
regards Andrew.

pete 359:
Hi Dennis and Dai,
Those memories aren’t boring me mate,i can assure you.I think Bernie told me it was new in 1967 or 68? The Atki in the article,was so i am told? a seed vehicle supplied discounted to JR,for vehicle evaluation whilst at work.I echo your thoughts on the Brown V Fuller,no contest imo.They were that good then that they still use them now! Can’t recall the last time i saw a Dai Brown box in a new truck? Thanks for the Maldwyn Davies shots,i remember the firm well.when i had my F88 one year at the Swansea festival of Transport he came across and introduced himself to me,a really nice guy. i met him again several times at a few other events.
regards Andrew.

I think it was probably '69 Andrew as the last MK1’s were F reg 68’s and those Silver Knights were basically MK 1 chassis with the early Borderer cab fitted . I reckon Chris Gardener could give us exact “pin point” dates. Bloody interesting though all the same !! :wink: Cheers Dennis.

I’m writing an essay about my first trip, 1976, to Baghdad, which I’ll put on here (not this thread) when it’s complete. Previous to the trip to Baghdad I’d driven ‘four bars 6 bars, big motherf******s that go Tchhh… when you hit the brakes’ to be honest, as a lazy sod, I preferred Scanias and Volvos, with the synchromesh gearboxes.

The 2800 Daf I took to Baghdad had the smaller engine and the ZF with splitter. This is the most precise box I ever drove, even 1960s lorries, like Leyland four wheelers and BMC 6 wheelers were more forgiving. (I later had a Saviem with this box as a column change, which was even more precise! The Daf had a floor change). I was expecting a Fuller and this was the first ZF I had. Let’s say I found it a touch fussy, but not hard work, unlike the Saviem column change.

My point is that as a driver I like automatic cars, I would probably have liked automatic trucks if I had got that far, but I suspect that the simpler the gearbox, the better the MPG.

John.

John West:
I’m writing an essay about my first trip, 1976, to Baghdad, which I’ll put on here (not this thread) when it’s complete. Previous to the trip to Baghdad I’d driven ‘four bars 6 bars, big motherf******s that go Tchhh… when you hit the brakes’ to be honest, as a lazy sod, I preferred Scanias and Volvos, with the synchromesh gearboxes.

The 2800 Daf I took to Baghdad had the smaller engine and the ZF with splitter. This is the most precise box I ever drove, even 1960s lorries, like Leyland four wheelers and BMC 6 wheelers were more forgiving. (I later had a Saviem with this box as a column change, which was even more precise! The Daf had a floor change). I was expecting a Fuller and this was the first ZF I had. Let’s say I found it a touch fussy, but not hard work, unlike the Saviem column change.

My point is that as a driver I like automatic cars, I would probably have liked automatic trucks if I had got that far, but I suspect that the simpler the gearbox, the better the MPG.

John.

Evening Andrew,Maldwyn Davies moved to the bottom of the Rhigos and also ran the tower cafe.
He hauled lots of coal to kent and corn etc back.He was a big noise in the penticostal church and there was another haulier in hirwaun called Gordons who ran 2800 Dafs.

IMG_3929.JPG

scania81:

John West:

John.

Evening Andrew,Maldwyn Davies moved to the bottom of the Rhigos and also ran the tower cafe.
He hauled lots of coal to kent and corn etc back.He was a big noise in the penticostal church and there was another haulier in hirwaun called Gordons who ran 2800 Dafs.

The new yard where the cafe was.
Dai

IMG_3936.JPG

pete 359:
Hi all,
Big thanks to Pete Smith for sending an old nostalgia book about The Steel Company of Wales’ Margam works.This photo is the former main entrance,this rigid is pictured leaving The Abbey,The new road runs right passed we’re this lorry is photographed.over the years there must have been trillions of Tonnes of steel on lorries that started their journey there…

Morning Andrew,
Is that lorry still on the steel works internal road heading towards the original A48?
There are some good facts and figures in that book considering its 1960! I presume the book predates Llanwern as it mentions a tie up with Richard Thomas and Baldwin about a new venture which I presume was Llanwern, Cheer’s Pete

pete smith:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Morning Andrew,
Is that lorry still on the steel works internal road heading towards the original A48?
There are some good facts and figures in that book considering its 1960! I presume the book predates Llanwern as it mentions a tie up with Richard Thomas and Baldwin about a new venture which I presume was Llanwern, Cheer’s Pete

2 photos of the scania i drove for Jakey,1 is at a snow swept Worthing behind Payless Diy and the other at siderise Hadleigh near Ipswich.
Got the 112 handing down from Tom O,rouke who got a ex general roadtrain E904 TBO.W North pulled out of rockwool at the time with a row over Tip
trailer rental damage.Jr were given 4 extra motors and Brs 1.Ironic that years later North,s got another contract there but soon sold to Stillers.
Dai

IMG_3919.JPG

scania81:

pete smith:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Morning Andrew,

2 photos of the scania i drove for Jakey,1 is at a snow swept Worthing behind Payless Diy and the other at siderise Hadleigh near Ipswich.
Got the 112 handing down from Tom O,rouke who got a ex general roadtrain E904 TBO.W North pulled out of rockwool at the time with a row over Tip
trailer rental damage.Jr were given 4 extra motors and Brs 1.Ironic that years later North,s got another contract there but soon sold to Stillers.
Dai

IMG_3917 (2).JPG

scania81:

scania81:

pete smith:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Morning Andrew,

Dai

Hi Dai,
Thanks for that.What was the connection between North and Stiller? Doesn’t ring any bells with me tbh…
Regards Andrew.

Hi all. Scania81. Great photos of Maldwyn Davies yard. One shot there has an Atki and Foden in it. He kept those for ever doing lump coal out of Merthyr Vale, and Penrichaber (Mountain Ash) to local coal merchants yard. Their office was a house in the main street leading up to the yard. Maldwyns brother ran the garage. Many moons ago I took the Atki up to Oxford for him. I must admit it was slow but sure. As old as it was it went well. After driving 232 Deutz’s , and 2300/2500 Dafs all 8 wheelers it was quite an experience. Probably around 1983 iirc and the Atki was M reg! I saw it in 1989 in Ryans blending plant on the docks at Cardiff painted black.
A.J. Williams of Merthyr had two similar Atki’s brand new, around 1975/76.
Another Hirwaun haulier was G.L. Williams who ran a nice clean fleet of Foden’s out of Penderyn and Vaynor quarries. They ran dust into LLanwern, and sand from Dallimore’s back up. Cushy number that, two round trips a day.

Paul