South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

JAKEY:
Dai , nice photo of a tidy Scania, was that Brs Bridgend or John Raymond ?

All the scania,s on the contract were BRS.
Reading your blogs Jakey i have called in Sandy Lane many a time through the years mostly on nights with my late father.
Dai

Hi all, Iā€™m sure this was penny haulage as their is no name but same colour cheers John

5C8172BB-EC11-439E-B84B-420F9165C643.jpeg

smallcoal:
Hi all, Iā€™m sure this was penny haulage as their is no name but same colour cheers John

Hi Smallcoal,
I think your right there.I was parked by that Roadtrain in Truckfest South West,years ago.John Scholey from East Yorkshire had it brand new.
Regards Andrew.

Hi all,
Here is a T.D.Williams subbie,tipping coil in Italy with his F89ā€¦

pete 359:
Hi all,
An old Penllyne Haulage shot here,Iā€™d forgotten they ran a Scania 113.

Blimey polar opersites or what :open_mouth:

Punchy Dan:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hi Dan,
I know what you mean mate.I think that was the only Scania that Penllyne ever ran? Itā€™s H Reg and I donā€™t think it was very old? When Peter Gilder bought it at the closing sale.Proper welsh tipper operation there,lots have come and gone since.
Regards Andrew.

Nationwide.

1974 nationwide tpt cardiff ppg.PNG

Haydn Castle, from the Gower.

daibootsy:

Hi dai, they had a scania and step frame trailer in bsc port talbot Albert and his boy drove it cheers John

smallcoal:

daibootsy:

Hi dai, they had a scania and step frame trailer in bsc port talbot Albert and his boy drove it cheers John

Helo John I remember Albert he had a farm down the Gower grew a lot of potatoes .

Hello Dai,

Thank you for the response about the Brs Scania,

Some where I have a picture of a Roadtrain on the Rockwool contract , when I did my Hgv at the Bridgend depot I was token back how well there drivers looked after there motors compared to most of the Oxford depot vehicles , most of your fleet were polished up well .

Ianto full pelt:

smallcoal:

daibootsy:

Helo John I remember Albert he had a farm down the Gower grew a lot of potatoes .

Hi ianto yes thatā€™s correct he was a character Derrick was the other one that drove when Albert wasnā€™t driving he used to sell bags of spuds every xmas in the works :laughing:

JAKEY:
Hello Dai,

Thank you for the response about the Brs Scania,

Some where I have a picture of a Roadtrain on the Rockwool contract , when I did my Hgv at the Bridgend depot I was token back how well there drivers looked after there motors compared to most of the Oxford depot vehicles , most of your fleet were polished up well .

If you go on to pages 634 and 635 you will see photos of the roadtrains jakey.
They were mostly the up and downers and gone by 3am most mornings.
2 pictures from your neck of the woods.Aston clinton road Alyesbury depot now a peugeot dealer.They had a few transcons and 1 was always parked up outside a house in Stone on nights.My late dads 81 and the 111 was outbased Tony Dorrell.

Haydn Castle

pete 359:

Andrew, thatā€™s a nice photo of Pontlottynā€™s TM. I never saw that one in the flesh. They bought a T reg with a V6 Detroit new, but it was only used on day work in the pitā€™s. That was a dark red with a black steel Withey body on it iirc. They did buy a bunch of second hand TMs with the 500 engine with muck shifting bodies again only used on the pits. They had two Foden 8 wheelers and a ex coalboard Sed Atki on tonnage. They ran a load of 4 wheel TKs 381s again all on the pits. They kept a well maintained fleet, many of their employees were long serving from Colin and Cliveā€™s Grandfatherā€™s days when they also ran coaches taking local colliers to and from work.
Last I heard Colin was still running a few trucks.

I remember being told they bought Blue Line, hopefully they had some good years before the decline of British Steel and British Coal.

Paul

Punchy Dan:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hi all. Andrew and Dan, I remember an F12 6x2 rear single tag joining the fleet iirc on a f plate and a 2435 6x2 twin steer Merc on a G plate. I never saw the Scania, and I think a Leyland Daf joined later. It was strange seeing anything except a Foden in their colours.

Paul

One off ebay

35691568162_1fefe70c97.jpg

pete smith:

Hi Pete,that was when it was a proper steel works all different generations of family working there not like when they were taken over the heart went out of it,Paul John regarding pontlottyn they didnā€™t last long when they were going Bradley used to have them running with drums on the headboard one got stopped by vosa they dipped the drum he was using aircraft fuel as it was cheaper all his trucks were confiscated ,he didnā€™t like spending I will find out more as my mate drove for him cheers John

Thank you Dai, the Roadtrains and Scaniaā€™s of Brs Bridgend looked just I like I remembered them, plenty of flags in the windows etc and polished up .