South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

marktaff:
Hi Pete,
How could you tell the two models apart…was it the grills on the front of the cab ?
Because i remeber back in the day most of the others Fenders had were two seaters but different grill to this one here in the pic.
Regards Mark

Easy Mark, the FHK has an underfloor engine so the starting handle hole is below the grille in the front panel and the bumper is also lower as a result. The FFK has the vertical engine and the handle goes through the grille. Front track is also slightly wider on the FH’s as well. Actually that is the wrong grille anyway, it is from an Austin FFK as normally they were just straight horizontal bars.

Pete.

Hi all,
A pair of David Saunders ERF.Courtesy of Chris Richards.

That’s a nice E14 of Owens and the 4000 too :smiley: ,shame I can’t say the same for the pig above ,Gardner ,spicer ■■ Kirkstall?? No doubt a Norde arse end yuck :neutral_face:

windrush:

marktaff:
Hi Pete,
How could you tell the two models apart…was it the grills on the front of the cab ?
Because i remeber back in the day most of the others Fenders had were two seaters but different grill to this one here in the pic.
Regards Mark

Easy Mark, the FHK has an underfloor engine so the starting handle hole is below the grille in the front panel and the bumper is also lower as a result. The FFK has the vertical engine and the handle goes through the grille. Front track is also slightly wider on the FH’s as well. Actually that is the wrong grille anyway, it is from an Austin FFK as normally they were just straight horizontal bars.

Pete.

Hi Pete,
Well this one in the photo had a underslung engine…this must be the difference also to the others I mentioned.
Regards Mark

Hi windrush, I owned and operated a FHK 140 back in 1964-67 which was a good motor The starting handle hole is visible here although I never ever had to use it.
Cheers, Leyland 600.
Note photo will not upload will try later.

Leyland600:
Hi windrush, I owned and operated a FHK 140 back in 1964-67 which was a good motor The starting handle hole is visible here although I never ever had to use it.
Cheers, Leyland 600.
Note photo will not upload will try later.

They were a decent truck and pulled well compared to the Trader and Bedford ranges, also there far fewer engine problems with those than the FJK range (with the same engine!) that followed them as they had a decent cooling system. A nightmare to work on though, cylinder head, piston and liner removal working under the nearside wheelarch between the chassis rail and cab floor was not much fun for the back and knees and the three piece sump was a fiddly task as well. :unamused:

Pete.

Hi all,
Courtesy of Chris Richards,three through the fence F10 shots, from the much missed J.R.fleet…

No image of JR Volvo E142PAX?

Hi all,
A pair of WYNNS images here,In the days before the Brecon bypass…

Hi all,
Courtesy of Allen Evans a life long lorry driver now retired.This photo was taken on Marlas estate in north Cornelly.Allen was then driving this Crusader for the British Steel fleet.pictured are Allen and his son Philip whose recently turned 50.

Courtesy of Chris Richards.A hard worked Cardiff Transport F8 MAN.

pete 359:
Hi all,
Courtesy of Allen Evans a life long lorry driver now retired.This photo was taken on Marlas estate in north Cornelly.Allen was then driving this Crusader for the British Steel fleet.pictured are Allen and his son Philip whose recently turned 50.

Hi Andrew,what a young Allen Evans like his pose :laughing: thanks for the card and present mate I liked it :smiley:

T.D.Williams.

wales tdw.PNG

Hi all,
An early 142 Courtesy of Chris Richards.In the colours of the welsh flag.

pete 359:

Hi all. Andrew, are RT Williams from Merthyr Tydfil? Can’t see it on the motor there, but pretty sure if they are Welshman1 Tony Baker from Rhymney works for them.
Two weekends ago, I was up in Hilton Head South Carolina with Tony’s fathers mate Ray Williams. Ray emigrated to Canada 45 years ago. They grew up on Hill Street, along with my father and his brothers. Ray worked for the BRS in Ebbw Vale and confirmed H.Morgan’s yard was the old BRS depot.
I show Ray the old photos on here, and he tells great stories of the octoupus and the antics back in the day.
Ray is 80 now, built like a brick ■■■■■■■■■ and would pass for a 60 year old. Who said hard work will kill you? All hand ball in them days.
Ray got a job in HY-MAC and on arrival in Toronto worked for their importer.
Ray and your father, and many more have great stories to tell. Ours are lame compared to theirs.
Thank you for keeping this site going, and letting everyone share their stories. Your hard work is certainly appreciated.

Paul

Hi all,
I found this Bedford TM shot on Facebook,I’ve no idea who took the photo.I remember the truck,very well indeed.

pete 359:
Hi all,
I found this Bedford TM shot on Facebook,I’ve no idea who took the photo.I remember the truck,very well indeed.

Hi Andrew,
I also remember this truck very well to…not sure if it was based at Swansea because Swansea Steel as I remember we’re owned by a Midlands company and I’m sure it operated from the Midlands…I might be wrong…the Guy who would know would be Daibootsy…they were just around the corner from Geo Beer.
Regards Mark

08300FE0-8029-427F-9780-8AB0FF4F6DAF.png

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hi Andrew, I had a mate living in Telford that drove
a 95 Daf for Swansea steel in oakengates colours his
Name was Mick I can’t think of his sir name for the
Life of me. Chris