South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Haven’t been on here for a while gents since I sold my K series Dodge and just been trawling through the pages that I have missed! What a fantastic site for memories, Musto’s cafe on the Llantwit road, could well have been some of my dads 4 wheel tippers in there when the loads were being collected from Cwm, Valley Carriers, my father in law worked there in the stores for Grove commercials, Patch RIP, I had the pleasure of working with him when I did a spell shunting for John Raymond in the abbey after leaving the office and buying an old ex bulmers cider F10, Patch was always clowning about and I’m not sure if he was shunting for Joint’s or Blue Line at the time but the weighbridge was always a better place if you were waiting to weigh a trailer through!
Brilliant pages sure there’s more memories ive missed and more to come, keep up the good work and I will leave you with a photo of a GH Moreton of Barry Seddon Atki used for the Barry carnival, anybody remember them?
Ian

image.jpg

yanto36:
Haven’t been on here for a while gents since I sold my K series Dodge and just been trawling through the pages that I have missed! What a fantastic site for memories, Musto’s cafe on the Llantwit road, could well have been some of my dads 4 wheel tippers in there when the loads were being collected from Cwm, Valley Carriers, my father in law worked there in the stores for Grove commercials, Patch RIP, I had the pleasure of working with him when I did a spell shunting for John Raymond in the abbey after leaving the office and buying an old ex bulmers cider F10, Patch was always clowning about and I’m not sure if he was shunting for Joint’s or Blue Line at the time but the weighbridge was always a better place if you were waiting to weigh a trailer through!
Brilliant pages sure there’s more memories ive missed and more to come, keep up the good work and I will leave you with a photo of a GH Moreton of Barry Seddon Atki used for the Barry carnival, anybody remember them?
Ian

Hi Ian would I remember you cause I shunted in the abbey and knew patch and his brother pieman he fell off a jr tilt in bay 16 damaged his back cheers John

scania81:

pete 359:

dai cap:

Ianto full pelt:
Hello Dai Cap / I was sure that he was something to do with Pantdu . I wish my father was still about don’t forget I am not as old as you and have to rely on stories from our elders . Cheers Ian .

Hi ian that Driving school was something to do with Blue Line & John Raymond .may be Joint & prothero. set up by the R T I T B. Not quite sure about this .if you could talk to some of the old Boys they may remember something about it. Dai Cap

Hello Dai,
Your right about the consortium,I remember the late Alun Jones (joint’s boss) telling me about it.They had a V8 mandator with the R.T.I.T.B. In the late 60’s early 70’s,they were popular with driving schools as they had a three seat cab.
Regards Andrew.

Might be totally wrong here but listening to old hands in the 70,s was it called the Phoenix Consortium?
They also controlled the rates in the abbey and picked the best work?
Dai

Hi Andrew phoenix was set up Blue Line & J R & Joint and may some others . They took the over spill of loads and picked best and 10/oo the rest out .it was more or less a closed shop . I dont know the rest Dai Cap.

Hi ian that Driving school was something to do with Blue Line & John Raymond .may be Joint & prothero. set up by the R T I T B. Not quite sure about this .if you could talk to some of the old Boys they may remember something about it. Dai Cap
[/quote]
Hello Dai,
Your right about the consortium,I remember the late Alun Jones (joint’s boss) telling me about it.They had a V8 mandator with the R.T.I.T.B. In the late 60’s early 70’s,they were popular with driving schools as they had a three seat cab.
Regards Andrew.
[/quote]
Dai
[/quote]
Hi Andrew phoenix was set up Blue Line & J R & Joint and may some others . They took the over spill of loads and picked best and 10/oo the rest out .it was more or less a closed shop . I dont know the rest Dai Cap.
[/quote]
Hello Dai,
I have some old Phoenix paperwork somewhere?The groups registered office was the main weigh bridge in Port Talbot.As far as I am aware? It was set up with the three you mentioned because of the way hauliers had to be registered with S.C.O.W. and later B.S.C. Back then.Those within Phoenix could load out of any S.C.O.W/B.S.C. Facility in the u.k. removing any need to be registered individually.In addition to that any member of Phoenix could select areas for work to tie in with back work etc.Many firms back then sold out to others,though still carried on working on the steel with the former company name.Bevington Transport was one I can think of.purely to keep their steel registration.
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

Hello Dai,
Regards Andrew.
[/quote]
Dai
[/quote]
[/quote]
Hello Dai,
I have some old Phoenix paperwork somewhere?The groups registered office was the main weigh bridge in Port Talbot.As far as I am aware? It was set up with the three you mentioned because of the way hauliers had to be registered with S.C.O.W. and later B.S.C. Back then.Those within Phoenix could load out of any S.C.O.W/B.S.C. Facility in the u.k. removing any need to be registered individually.In addition to that any member of Phoenix could select areas for work to tie in with back work etc.Many firms back then sold out to others,though still carried on working on the steel with the former company name.Bevington Transport was one I can think of.purely to keep their steel registration.
Regards Andrew.
[/quote]

hi Andrew, did my test in 1977 with the rtitb, but I did mine through ron morgan of j&m transport the man in charge in cwmavavon was john snead, did my cpc with them as well 1979 geoff

Hi all,
A 1981 shot here of some then,new FODEN,S.Centre stage is a Penllyne Haulage tractor unit.

smallcoal:

yanto36:
Ian

Hi Ian would I remember you cause I shunted in the abbey and knew patch and his brother pieman he fell off a jr tilt in bay 16 damaged his back cheers John

John I was there for a spell in 1992 shunting with a white volvo f10, vernon from swansea way taught me how to rope and sheet on an old JR foden, I think there was a Gareth there and also remember a guy who had a creamy coloured Bedford TM but can’t remember his name, Keith was in the weighbridge, Mike and Nick were in a porth cabin for JR on the trailer park, kept you fit that job, especially unrolling 40ft tarps.

yanto36:

smallcoal:

yanto36:
Ian

John I was there for a spell in 1992 shunting with a white volvo f10, vernon from swansea way taught me how to rope and sheet on an old JR foden, I think there was a Gareth there and also remember a guy who had a creamy coloured Bedford TM but can’t remember his name, Keith was in the weighbridge, Mike and Nick were in a porth cabin for JR on the trailer park, kept you fit that job, especially unrolling 40ft tarps.

I was in there shunting from 84 shunting joints blue line ,Alan fyfield ,used to load gammonds,Mike toms, Alec archer I drove for raymonds in94 pulling out off the abbey Vernon went in the traffic office in Bridgend till he retired 7 years ago Barry James has passed away ,I put a picture up off me see if you regonise me there was a Gareth called the gnat his old man was Freddie the fly Ames ,I remember the weigh bridge staff piggy Keith,viv,Tony’ ,ceri,John Puckett

image.jpeg

Hi all,
Ryan,s have been a name in welsh haulage for many years.I think this scammell is new here and photographed at the former Watford factory…

Tidy Scania heavy haulier.

wales.jpg

DEANB:

Hi Dean,
I think you posted an image of this welsh registered TM a while back? My mate Bob tells me that a mutual friend of ours later drove it for an operator in the south west of england.This shot to me looks like a BEDFORD promo…

pete 359:

DEANB:

Hi Dean,
I think you posted an image of this welsh registered TM a while back? My mate Bob tells me that a mutual friend of ours later drove it for an operator in the south west of england.This shot to me looks like a BEDFORD promo…

That’s one of the TMs operated by Tom Harty Meats. They had at least 6 as I recall, and went bust shortly afterwards, owing everyone a lot of money.

DEANB:

Graham keedwell he had tidy heavy haul motors a good man r.i.p mate

AndrewPorter:

pete 359:

DEANB:

Hi Dean,

That’s one of the TMs operated by Tom Harty Meats. They had at least 6 as I recall, and went bust shortly afterwards, owing everyone a lot of money.

Nice shot of them coming off the ferry at Fishguard.

Hi all,
Courtesy of Roger Aldhouse an Ebbw Vale BRS Leyland Octopus.

Seen this ex wynns in Barry dock with dangers over the door

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi all,
A lovely old photo from JONES MOTORS Kenfig Hill.My father did a trip to paisley in this Badger,whilst his Mandator was in for service.Seen here in Engle Tubes? livery…

D4A95E76-9DCB-436C-8696-7B48F159AA59.jpeg