South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

DEANB:
This motor is actually a 142 with modifications. Are Keedwell still going ■■?

Hi dean ,unfortunately graham passed away this year a good man he was :frowning: cheers John

rward:
Vanman good club that do we know each other regards rowley

I would have thought so Rowley, no doubt our paths crossed somewhere along the road, Newtown Le Willows Labour club on a Monday, Courts in Leigh on a Tuesday, Earlstown on a Thursday. I worked for a couple of people, Move it at Gloucester, did a bit of subbie work for Ralph Davies, KNK Haulage Bridgend (on Creative Upholstery amongst others) and J&W Transport (Steve Jones and Alan Williams) mostly furniture work for Pengragon, Contour and Cambria. I went with HTC in Heathrow for a while doing airports across Europe for a year or two. Regards, Simon

vanman99:

rward:
Vanman good club that do we know each other regards rowley

I would have thought so Rowley, no doubt our paths crossed somewhere along the road, Newtown Le Willows Labour club on a Monday, Courts in Leigh on a Tuesday, Earlstown on a Thursday. I worked for a couple of people, Move it at Gloucester, did a bit of subbie work for Ralph Davies, KNK Haulage Bridgend (on Creative Upholstery amongst others) and J&W Transport (Steve Jones and Alan Williams) mostly furniture work for Pengragon, Contour and Cambria. I went with HTC in Heathrow for a while doing airports across Europe for a year or two. Regards, Simon

Hi Simon, knk his daughter Karen works in our office at clarkes ,we used to do Christies work with w Jones cheers John

Vanman Simon we must have known each other going to them places but I think you must of ment lowton labour club on a Thursday park on Ireland cafe east Lancs road couple of pints then Suzy wsongs chinky eat in back of furniture van you say contour . Pendragon. Cambria wat happened to all those drivers to name a few Ken Richards little hughy ernie the milkman Peter Jones John Lloyd Tommy and Sid Carter loads more 35 years ago all great blokes regards rowley

Hi all,
Some iconic images here courtesy of jim allen from his days on the 1984/85 convoy.firstly a view through the mesh of the M4 westbound passing Sarn services and then a loaded transcon heading down toward the coldra.

I think the green 142 was owned by Chris Daniel from Banbury.very smart motor then!

BDBF4CD3-AACD-4113-BA5A-F522B33ABD0F.jpeg

rward:
Vanman Simon we must have known each other going to them places but I think you must of ment lowton labour club on a Thursday park on Ireland cafe east Lancs road couple of pints then Suzy wsongs chinky eat in back of furniture van you say contour . Pendragon. Cambria wat happened to all those drivers to name a few Ken Richards little hughy ernie the milkman Peter Jones John Lloyd Tommy and Sid Carter loads more 35 years ago all great blokes regards rowley

They were very good days Rowley, recognise those names, lost contact when I finished with J&W to go to work at Heathrow, think one or two are on the highway in the sky. Stopped at the Island Café regularly, Lowton Labour club (?) just a short walk around the corner, always seemed longer on the way back, or was that the beer? On a Thursday a few of us used to go over to Earlstown, parked on a bit of rough ground opposite a small pub next to the railway bridge and nightclub the other end, which Steve Jones & I got thrown out of at nearly three in the morning. Tuesday’s was always Leigh, courts first then over to Fletchers nightclub the other side of the canal Best regards, Simon

HI ALL,
Trucknet member ianto fullpelt’s brother called into work today.I fitted this knights head to his car.I’d have prefered it on my merc grille,though tbf,i wouldn’t class myself as a knight of the road.

EVANS KNIGHT.jpeg

A hard worked GUY Invincible from WYNNS.As a kid I thought these were a really stylish lorry.

pete 359:
HI ALL,
Trucknet member ianto fullpelt’s brother called into work today.I fitted this knights head to his car.I’d have prefered it on my merc grille,though tbf,i wouldn’t class myself as a knight of the road.

That’s added value…
Of all the ones I fitted whilst at JR and never even thought of getting one for myself

vanman99:

pete 359:
HI ALL,

That’s added value…
Of all the ones I fitted whilst at JR and never even thought of getting one for myself

Hello Simon,
Yes I agree.it never pays to throw things away!when I think of the things we’ve thrown away at work over the years.A wise old man once told me,”everything is collectible”…

Hi all,
The Joint Motorways reunion is tonight at the twelve knights hotel in margam.

Hi all,
I heard the sad news earlier that a former shunter,known to everyone as Patch,has sadly passed away.R.I.P. Keith.

1CD5D77B-F6CB-48F1-8F81-9A9801E5BF05.jpeg

pete 359:
Hi all,
I heard the sad news earlier that a former shunter,known to everyone as Patch,has sadly passed away.R.I.P. Keith.

I was only talking to him the other day what a shock he was our age thanks for sharing that Andrew rip Keith condolences to his family and his brother pieman

Patch was working for reggae camps till last month ,patchwas living in his caravan in narberth after being kicked out off his house ,dai strato, tiny Kinsey and me worked with patch for Peter Morgan logistics the son of Ely transport cheers John

Leyland advert.Click on page twice to view.

ad cm arlington leyland wales1976p.jpg

This is mine Dan the only one done up

image.jpeg

:sunglasses:

smallcoal:
This is mine Dan the only one done up

pete 359:
A hard worked GUY Invincible from WYNNS.As a kid I thought these were a really stylish lorry.

Great shot there Andrew ! That was the “heavy” Invincible which would have had the 150LX, DB 6:500 and double drive axles. The lighter one was the Warrior Light 8 which had the AEC 7:7 engine and the Turner 5 speed box the backend was an Eaton two speed with Primrose trailing axle. There was a Light 8 that ran out of Barrow Steel from the late 50’s until '66 which was owned by a Chap from Kendal and was driven by lad from the village of Natland near Kendal who I knew. He told me he could manage a payload of 17 ton at 24 ton GVW but it was gutless motor although he kept it running for about 8 years until Dec '66 when the firm closed. Cheers Dennis.