South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Hi all. Andrew looks as if the Porthcawl show was a good one. Looks as if you were having a good time in the pub too!

Cheers, Paul

Hi all,
stunning Ailsa edition FH,now in the MD fleet…

Sorry wrong thread.

DEANB:
Sorry wrong thread.

hi dean,
I cannot emphasis this enough.I would never complain at anything you’ve posted lol,this collection you’ve very kindly shared has brought back so many wonderful childhood memories for me.This image is a case in point.“Tony the Turk Thomas” whom i did many miles with as a kid,is seen here in J&M’s second new transcon TUH 2S.Those slabs would be south wales bound from hulland ward near ashbourne.I think the transcon behind could be subbie David Beer?

2017-06-19 15.09.07.jpg

My partner just read on FB John Raymond has had a trailer stolen in Birmingham jr 2005 they are asking anyone who spots it ring John Raymond Bridgend cheers John

Punchy Dan:

Hi, My mother was born in 13 Tanybryn street, Abadare in 1908, wonder what the trucks would have looked like then ■■? Harvey

Well, getting ready for a rough few days here in central Florida. Its still a little to early to know the exact path of the hurricane we keep hoping it will keep heading west!
Its been the craziest week ever on the roads. Mass mandatory evacuation from the keys, Miami and most of south Florida. I run an Orlando-Atlanta relay for the U.S. Postal Service meeting at Valdosta Ga about 225 miles north of Orlando.
I have lived here for 26 years,through a few hurricanes but never seen people leave in numbers like this probably on the back of the Houston floods they just want to get out of the State.
My route to Valdosta is on the Florida Turnpike (toll) to Interstate 75 normally a 3.50 Hr trip, leaving at 5:30 am running at 70mph max . Thursday I ran into back ups 100 miles north but traffic was moving. It took me 5.50 hrs. Heading back south the North bound lanes were backed up from Valdosta to the
outskirts of Orlando about 190 miles, three lanes wide on I75 and two wide in the pike. Just unreal, plus I75 south of the Turnpike goes down to Miami via (alligator alley) and I95 on the east coast.
Yesterday, there was no way I was going to get on I75 so took the back roads or traveled through the woods as they say here! For those who have traveled on highway 441/41 here in Orlando or orange blossom trail as its known I took it 235 miles north, flat out as much as possible, lost track of the number of traffic lights I stopped at. There are some wide open spaces where I could hit 55/65 mph. Equally there are a number of small towns which have cops everywhere.
I passed under I75 a number of time and traffic was at a standstill. Obviously as the day went on people got wise and all of a sudden all roads were busy and later backed up as well. Gridlock simple as that. Rest areas looked like hippy camps, hard shoulders backed up for miles as people looked for petrol and food.
Lines formed everywhere, cops trying to keep order. Hotels around Orlando filled so the trend was to keep going to find shelter and safety, last night traffic was up into South Carolina on the east and over the Georgia/Tennessee line into the central states. My northbound trip took 7.00 hours with two bathroom stops. Coming back south I was flat out cruise set at 70 as the only other traffic was the army, utility companies heading to staging points and convoys of fuel tankers.
I use the truck stops for my diesel and have topped up every opportunity I could, last night most only had half their pumps working to slow down the drain on supplies as extra tankers had been put on petrol duties. Many stations outof petrol which sends people further looking for it and they are running out stranded everywhere.
Thankfully, the Post Office decided to close their distribution center today, but I’ll be back at it Tuesday/Wednesday and will have to deal with everyone heading home. Total chaos. We have to survive the storm yet, and then lord knows what.
Currently we are in the calm of the storm as they say.
Enjoying a few beers, listening to the Stereophonics.
Lets hope the loss of life in minimal, houses can be rebuilt. its lives that matter.

Paul

Paul John:
Well, getting ready for a rough few days here in central Florida. Its still a little to early to know the exact path of the hurricane we keep hoping it will keep heading west!
Its been the craziest week ever on the roads. Mass mandatory evacuation from the keys, Miami and most of south Florida. I run an Orlando-Atlanta relay for the U.S. Postal Service meeting at Valdosta Ga about 225 miles north of Orlando.
I have lived here for 26 years,through a few hurricanes but never seen people leave in numbers like this probably on the back of the Houston floods they just want to get out of the State.
My route to Valdosta is on the Florida Turnpike (toll) to Interstate 75 normally a 3.50 Hr trip, leaving at 5:30 am running at 70mph max . Thursday I ran into back ups 100 miles north but traffic was moving. It took me 5.50 hrs. Heading back south the North bound lanes were backed up from Valdosta to the
outskirts of Orlando about 190 miles, three lanes wide on I75 and two wide in the pike. Just unreal, plus I75 south of the Turnpike goes down to Miami via (alligator alley) and I95 on the east coast.
Yesterday, there was no way I was going to get on I75 so took the back roads or traveled through the woods as they say here! For those who have traveled on highway 441/41 here in Orlando or orange blossom trail as its known I took it 235 miles north, flat out as much as possible, lost track of the number of traffic lights I stopped at. There are some wide open spaces where I could hit 55/65 mph. Equally there are a number of small towns which have cops everywhere.
I passed under I75 a number of time and traffic was at a standstill. Obviously as the day went on people got wise and all of a sudden all roads were busy and later backed up as well. Gridlock simple as that. Rest areas looked like hippy camps, hard shoulders backed up for miles as people looked for petrol and food.
Lines formed everywhere, cops trying to keep order. Hotels around Orlando filled so the trend was to keep going to find shelter and safety, last night traffic was up into South Carolina on the east and over the Georgia/Tennessee line into the central states. My northbound trip took 7.00 hours with two bathroom stops. Coming back south I was flat out cruise set at 70 as the only other traffic was the army, utility companies heading to staging points and convoys of fuel tankers.
I use the truck stops for my diesel and have topped up every opportunity I could, last night most only had half their pumps working to slow down the drain on supplies as extra tankers had been put on petrol duties. Many stations outof petrol which sends people further looking for it and they are running out stranded everywhere.
Thankfully, the Post Office decided to close their distribution center today, but I’ll be back at it Tuesday/Wednesday and will have to deal with everyone heading home. Total chaos. We have to survive the storm yet, and then lord knows what.
Currently we are in the calm of the storm as they say.
Enjoying a few beers, listening to the Stereophonics.
Lets hope the loss of life in minimal, houses can be rebuilt. its lives that matter.

Paul

Hi Paul my thoughts with you and the family hope you get through it okay stay safe mate John

Thanks John. Its just a matter of waiting it out. The latest update is showing the hurricane heading further west, good for us but not Tampa or the Gulf Coast.
A lot can change overnight.

Paul

Paul John:
Thanks John. Its just a matter of waiting it out. The latest update is showing the hurricane heading further west, good for us but not Tampa or the Gulf Coast.

Paul

Hi paul,
I’ve been watching the news footage,they are showing some incredible sights! Good luck from us all mate.
Regards andrew.

pete 359:

Paul John:

Paul

Hi paul,
I’ve been watching the news footage,they are showing some incredible sights! Good luck from us all mate.
Regards andrew.

Hi all. Thanks Andrew. We had a close escape as the storm tracked WNW away from us. We did get winds of 80+mph for around 6 Hrs though which took down a lot of trees in the area. We lost some shingles off the roof and quite a few panels of our fence. Power was out for 25 Hrs , patchy phone and internet.
We were lucky this time. The problem is these hurricanes are so unpredictable, impossible to track accurately. We always figure on the worse happening and are relieved when it doesn’t deliver it anger in our neighbourhood.
Back to work tomorrow, its going to be a nightmare getting home for the rest of the week with 6 million evacuees looking to get home also.
Its not always paradise here!

Regards Paul.

Paul John:

pete 359:

Paul John:

Paul

Hi paul,
Regards andrew.

Hi all. Thanks Andrew. We had a close escape as the storm tracked WNW away from us. We did get winds of 80+mph for around 6 Hrs though which took down a lot of trees in the area. We lost some shingles off the roof and quite a few panels of our fence. Power was out for 25 Hrs , patchy phone and internet.
We were lucky this time. The problem is these hurricanes are so unpredictable, impossible to track accurately. We always figure on the worse happening and are relieved when it doesn’t deliver it anger in our neighbourhood.
Back to work tomorrow, its going to be a nightmare getting home for the rest of the week with 6 million evacuees looking to get home also.
Its not always paradise here!

Regards Paul.

hi paul,
thanks for that it’s good to know your safe.it looked like total carnage for anything in its path on the news footage that i have seen.
regards andrew.

Owens.

Hi all,
For reasons never made clear to me? I can’t seem to post pictures atm■■? I received sad news earlier today that peter lewis who drove for joint motorways for many years has unfortunately passed away.peter was imo a proper driver,when I was very young I recall him driving an atki for John Raymond.A few years later he came to joint,he had several brand new trucks there including a few mercs,MAN and joints one and only E series ERF.Another driver whom was always very good to me.my condolences to his family.R.i.p. Mate.
Regards andrew.

pete 359:
Hi all,
For reasons never made clear to me? I can’t seem to post pictures atm■■? I received sad news earlier today that peter lewis who drove for joint motorways for many years has unfortunately passed away.peter was imo a proper driver,when I was very young I recall him driving an atki for John Raymond.A few years later he came to joint,he had several brand new trucks there including a few mercs,MAN and joints one and only E series ERF.Another driver whom was always very good to me.my condolences to his family.R.i.p. Mate.
Regards andrew.

Hi Andrew,that is sad news mate condolences to his family rip ,(he has gone to have a cuppa with the other joints drivers in the sky ) once again very sad news :frowning: regards John

hi all,
A hard worked FODEN from penny of ebbw vale.

Come across this one ■■

DEANB:
Come across this one ■■
Used to own this. Bought it from Ruthin. We ran out of Llanwern Slag with her. This is with the haulier we sold it to. 14 litre 250 ■■■■■■■■■ speed Fuller and Rockwell dd.