South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

taffybloke:

ANDREWDAX:
Hi.

Was there a lady working in the office by the name of Marylyn Jefferies , When i was self employed they wood ring me up to do a night run to heathrow, this would have been around 1984.

ANDREWDAX. Are you asking about Mitchell Cotts.

Mike

Yes Mike it was Mitchell Cotts ,there was also a guy by the name of John Raven just starting up near them ,we were doing our cpc the same time at Rhydyfelin tech.

Clive.

Clive. Raven Express Logistics are still operating at the airport.

You jogged my memory, I do remember Marylin, she was a nice helpful lady, I have not seen her since I left Mitchel Cotts. There was three trucks based there, an artic and two rigid vans, the three trucks would do their rounds in the day with multiple drops and collections then in the evening we transferred the cargo onto the artic and it would do a night trunk to Colnbrook and bring back our deliveries for the next day.

There was a manager in the office but I cant remember his name and there was also a foreman in the warehouse his name was Dyfrig Price.

Mike

taffybloke:
Clive. Raven Express Logistics are still operating at the airport.

You jogged my memory, I do remember Marylin, she was a nice helpful lady, I have not seen her since I left Mitchel Cotts. There was three trucks based there, an artic and two rigid vans, the three trucks would do their rounds in the day with multiple drops and collections then in the evening we transferred the cargo onto the artic and it would do a night trunk to Colnbrook and bring back our deliveries for the next day.

There was a manager in the office but I cant remember his name and there was also a foreman in the warehouse his name was Dyfrig Price.

Mike

Hi mike,did cotts have a Mercedes artic cause there is a cotts one in Gloucester in a commercial garage I will try and photo it cheers John

smallcoal:
Hi mike,did cotts have a Mercedes artic cause there is a cotts one in Gloucester in a commercial garage I will try and photo it cheers John

Hi John. The artic based at Cardiff was, I think, an ERF the two rigids were Mercs, an 814 and a 1114

Mike

a shunter ?

image.jpeg

liam525■■■■■■■■
Does anyone remember Roberts transport ross on Wyes Atkinson tippers and erf units
Nmp

taffybloke:

smallcoal:

Hi John. The artic based at Cardiff was, I think, an ERF the two rigids were Mercs, an 814 and a 1114

Mike

The artic they had in 1984 was a Leyland Marathon.

Clive.

hi all,
A couple here courtesy of paul coventry.The notorious mclenan twins ran these 290’s and the 1632 v10 merc on their middle east work.The shot with several units parked is taken on what is now harbour way where it runs passed number 4 blast furnace of the abbey.The photo of the merc,is i think somewhere a very long way from port talbot.

twins2.jpg

pete 359:
hi all,
A couple here courtesy of paul coventry.The notorious mclenan twins ran these 290’s and the 1632 v10 merc on their middle east work.The shot with several units parked is taken on what is now harbour way where it runs passed number 4 blast furnace of the abbey.The photo of the merc,is i think somewhere a very long way from port talbot.

I remember the Merc calling in to the engineering firm that I was working at near Faversham, Kent - in about 1986 / 7 ish. It was pulling a Central Trailer Rental tilt, we modified and fitted a belly tank to the trailer, as he was on his way to the Middle East then. I’ve no idea who the driver was, but he had his son with him - would have been a cramped trip that one.

kmills:

pete 359:
hi all,

I remember the Merc calling in to the engineering firm that I was working at near Faversham, Kent - in about 1986 / 7 ish. It was pulling a Central Trailer Rental tilt, we modified and fitted a belly tank to the trailer, as he was on his way to the Middle East then. I’ve no idea who the driver was, but he had his son with him - would have been a cramped trip that one.

hi,
As i remember? the mclennan 1632 was bought back by mercedes,they used it in their advertising in the late 80’s early 90’s.It had done literally a couple of million kilometers all over europe and south east asia,without any major mechanical work needed.
regards andrew.

Punchy Dan:

liam525■■■■■■■■
Does anyone remember Roberts transport ross on Wyes Atkinson tippers and erf units
Nmp

These look remarkably like Harry Parkinson’s from Preston!
F36RCW by chris.farnah, on Flickr

Hi all,
A pair here from near the time when sheddick became a part of the then huge operator,Norbert Dentressangle.

IMG_2759.JPG

IMG_2758.JPG

240 Gardner:

Punchy Dan:

liam525■■■■■■■■
Nmp

These look remarkably like Harry Parkinson’s from Preston!
F36RCW by chris.farnah, on Flickr

Hiya,
Is this Sed Ak a former Ridings motor ?
thanks harry, long retired.

Hi all,
One that I found on line.i am told,Newport branch of BRS?

pete 359:
Hi all,
One that I found on line.i am told,Newport branch of BRS?

I am sure this was a shot outside the customers premises,with the depot at watch house parade[Alexandra Dock] just up the road.
The depot was close knit run by Allan Beese for years and they subbed out huge amounts of timber.Older drivers would remember the queue in the docks waiting for the back loads going all over the uk.I have the above photo you would have seen in my collection.
Dai

ycy 681.jpg

Andrew,heres the pic of Argosy transport.

AQ01.JPG

DEANB:

Hi Dean,
Many thanks for sharing that Argosy photo.here is a brand new Scania we did recently,for Geoff evans and sons from near Pencoed.
Regards andrew.

Hi all I found this pic on a Scottish web site ,also there’s a firm called Cardiff bros from ■■■■■■■■■■■

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

pete 359:

DEANB:

Hi Dean,
Many thanks for sharing that Argosy photo.here is a brand new Scania we did recently,for Geoff evans and sons from near Pencoed.
Regards andrew.

No worries Andrew, heres one of T.D. Williams.

AZ0018.JPG