Some Old Seddon's

Should have said that there were also Mk2 cabbed Seddon tractor units with the AEC AV470 engine of which BRS had many, some models with 8 stud wheels for 18 tons gtw, and others with 10 stud wheels for 24 tons gtw.

This is FRC 805C on the road run with the 9 tonnes of blocks on, taken on 14th May 1995, somewhere on the A68 in Co. Durham, with my co-driver Titch Griggs looking the part of a 1960s lorry driver. Titch was a long serving Turners driver and we did about 700 miles that weekend. We must have been mad after working all week with lorries and then playing with them at weekend, but the craic with like-minded people was fantastic and great fun. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

gingerfold:
Should have said that there were also Mk2 cabbed Seddon tractor units with the AEC AV470 engine of which BRS had many, some models with 8 stud wheels for 18 tons gtw, and others with 10 stud wheels for 24 tons gtw.

This is FRC 805C on the road run with the 9 tonnes of blocks on, taken on 14th May 1995, somewhere on the A68 in Co. Durham, with my co-driver Titch Griggs looking the part of a 1960s lorry driver. Titch was a long serving Turners driver and we did about 700 miles that weekend. We must have been mad after working all week with lorries and then playing with them at weekend, but the craic with like-minded people was fantastic and great fun. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

220 ■■■■■■■ and DB box…took some hammer all london work with 3/4 different drivers everyday

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

FRC 805C In Rush Green Motors, February 1986

Delivered to the farm where the restoration was to take place, March 1986

Restoration of the chassis completed by July 1987, all preparation and painting done by hand with basic facilities.

Arriving at The Stray, Harrogate, August 1989, which was our second time at this event.

This was to be another Seddon restoration project, but unfortunately I had to abort it 2005 without even starting it. It’s a 1963 Seddon 20/6/400, 871 DPW, with Leyland Power Plus O.400 engine, Albion 6-speed 'box and Moss back axle. 6x2 rear bogie with Seddon trailing axle and their own Maxart suspension. The location is Rush Green Motors, ‘Bruv’ doing the chains, Ted Hannon and Gingerfold in the second photo.

gingerfold:
This was to be another Seddon restoration project, but unfortunately I had to abort it 2005 without even starting it. It’s a 1963 Seddon 20/6/400, 871 DPW, with Leyland Power Plus O.400 engine, Albion 6-speed 'box and Moss back axle. 6x2 rear bogie with Seddon trailing axle and their own Maxart suspension. The location is Rush Green Motors, ‘Bruv’ doing the chains, Ted Hannon and Gingerfold in the second photo.

Croppers of Kendal the paper makers ran a fleet of those 6 wheel Seddons with the Leyland engines 375’s and 400’s IIRC then they gradually changed over to Seddon Artics from the mid 60’s using the Leyland 600 engine although their last 6 wheeler flat also had the 600 engine. Cheers Bewick.

Three more Mk.2 cabbed Seddons. Note the long door version Redland lorry, and quite a rarity, a LHD version, photographed in Tenerife of all places.

I wonder how many of the long door types Seddon built, access must have been greatly improved. I presume the Roadferry unit was one of those with the AV 690 engine as preferred by their fleet engineer, looks smart too. Franky.

Frankydobo:
I wonder how many of the long door types Seddon built, access must have been greatly improved. I presume the Roadferry unit was one of those with the AV 690 engine as preferred by their fleet engineer, looks smart too. Franky.

Yes, it would have the AV690, and with the Moss back axle there was a good chance that it would snap a half shaft at some time. :blush:

Picture taken on the B6197 Buckstones Road in Shaw about 3 miles from the long gone Seddon factory on Higginshaw Lane Royton.

One of Kaye Goodfellow’s Seddon 30/4 tractor units.

One or two more.
Oily

A bit of a long-shot but, does anyone have any pictures of the Seddons Delaney Galley, lately Delanair used to run in the late sixties early seventies, they were the first Lorries I ever went in.

Just restored by the owner Carl Mellon

I’d say that Howarth’s Seddon is a 24 tonner…but I could be wrong. it has a Moss 10-ton back axle.

Its always interesting to see these freshly built and liveried vehicles coming out of Oldham and ready to go to the customer, I always wonder if my Fathers 65 Reg unit (I’ve no pic of it) was ever photographed like this or indeed any of the other many Seddon’s the company bought, although I still haven’t seen any in these sort of pics. However the company did have the vehicles painted and written locally for many years by the same coachpainter so they would have likely left the factory in primer, coincidently (for me) not long before I retired from the Tyne and Wear Fire Service I was talking to an Officer who’s face had seemed familiar ever since I first met him, as we talked it turned out he was the Son of the very man who owned the paintshop and all those years before I’d watched him as a youngster deftly signwriting the new motors, he also said his Dad did take photos of the completed vehicles that went through his shop although he had no idea what had become of them, such a shame. Also its a shame this tractor has no reg no plate to date it but I would think it was an early 60’s 150 Gardner engine unit as it has the early air vents on the cab front and being double vented I’ve only ever known the 6LX unit models having these on the Mk II cab, Dads C Reg had the later larger cab vents whereas the other engined options available seem to have had only one vent on the off side. Lets have more good quality photo’s like this Moomooland. Cheers Franky.

Here’s the picture with the detail added Franky.
Click on the picture to enlarge it.

Moomooland wrote: Here’s the picture with the detail added Franky. Click on the picture to enlarge it.
Ah cheers for that Moomooland I always thought this cab and the Borderer had that typically beefy looking British style lorry look especially in artic form of the mid 60’s and I’ve got many happy memories of riding in that cab. Franky.

It was a 30/4, from the angle of the photo it doesn’t appear to be a 9’ 6" wheelbase with the large diesel tank filling all the chassis space. It would certainly cover some miles with a 6LX engine before needing a refill with a tank that size. And I’m with you Franky, this was also my favourite Seddon cab and the varnished wood in the interior gave it a bit of class compared with other manufacturer’s offerings of the time.