Warners Transport tewkesbury

A few pictures of my late Grandfathers then late Uncles haulage business based at Aston on Carrant near Tewkesbury.

Hi Ross, what some evocative photos - most of which I have never seen before. I have written quite extensively on here about my years spent as a kid in Warner’s yard and my time working there but due to other commitments never got past my time driving KWD 937E. However now I am retired I will continue shortly and hopefully will finish it before The “Grim Reaper” does his stuff!! If you look back several pages you will find “My lorries /wagons through the years” Best Regards -Noel

P.S Ross you will need to go back 15 pages to find the thread!

RossG:
01A few pictures of my late Grandfathers then late Uncles haulage business based at Aston on Carrant near Tewkesbury.

Looks like a Mighty Antar on one of those low loaders,what a fine beast they were/are!!!

David

I had forgotten what a smart fleet Warners had , did not know they had that Seddon , regards Keith ,

Remember Warners Transport well.

kingswinford kit:
I had forgotten what a smart fleet Warners had , did not know they had that Seddon , regards Keith ,

Hi Keith, The Seddon was a 30/4/6LX reg no NDD 995F driven from new by Derek Hussell until sold.It went to someone in thick Royal Vorest mind. ( I can speak vorest after a fashion ,spelling it is a different matter mind !) I remember an incident when I was an upstart and the Seddon wasn’t very old and yours truly backed in to the front of it. I thought John Warner would be furious but all he said was " Well YOU can go to his house and bloody tell him then! Derek was fastidious about the condition of it and it was in as good condition when sold as when bought.He was on a par with Geoff James when he drove for R H Goulding. Regards Noel

Here’s a couple more pictures - I know you’ve seen the 6 wheeler Albion one Noel but the others may be new to you. Ross.

A couple more modern shots of the annual Christmas line up.

Noel,
Talking of Derek Hussell here is his 180 Gardner powered B series - I spent many happy days delivering pit props to the Welsh and Yorkshire mines with Derek.

Keep them coming Ross - I was well acquainted with the older vehicles but not au fait with the newer ones.Noel

Hi Ross, regarding the photo with your uncle John in the Foreground- On the left 7323 SM Albion Chieftain 4Cyl Albion motor, Ayrshire Reg bought S/H from Clerkenleap Motors in W0rcester. Next is Seddon 5743 AD Leyland 350 motor supplied new by H R Wilson-Scott of Monkmeadow, Gloucester,beside that is DDD 242C Dodge D308 Perkins 6-354 motor also supplied by Wilson-Scott. All three were fitted with livestock bodies built by Drew Bros of Frampton Cotterell.Would love to see pics of SDD 417, SDG 306,TDD 620, UOA 692and loads more! Regards Noel

You know how to tickle the memory cells, chaps! They were a brilliant “proper” family haulier, much like the Gilders and the Gouldings, all of whom had an unwritten agreement to help each other out at busy times.
Funnily enough, I was thinking just recently about the firm of H.R.Wilson-Scott. They dabbled in dealerships involving these new-fangled diesel engines (they’ll never catch on, best to stick with the 28hp petrol Bedfords!) including Perkins, Dodge and Thorneycroft. They seemed to be decent motor engineers and I often wondered why they disappeared.
Drew Bros of Frampton Cottrell were the preferred livestock body builders of Gouldings for quite a few years until the firm were able to do better deals with Vincent Greenhous who could supply the Bedford chassis fitted with their own livestock bodies. Carmichaels supplied Gouldings for some time, but ultimately, when Greenhous stopped making their bodies, their sole supplier was Thorne’s of Dorrington- now Bulkrite. This was a nice little trip for a 17-year-old wannabe driver, ferrying the boss up the A49 to pick up another new vehicle.
And please be warned, Noel- I’m already on the Forest mafia hit list for taking the mick out of the Foresters. All I ever did was attend a course on “Forest Customs, Language & Folklore (don’t mention the bear!)” held at that most salubrious of colleges of further education, The Lamb at Mitcheldean. Be warned, Ow But!

Hi Noel, that has about exhausted the supply, I managed to get these from Sarah, I need to drop in again and try to get a few more.
The six wheeler Albion looks new - must have been a fair wagon in its day. Ross.

Sorry to interrupt again, but I notice that the Reiver was the same age as the similar lorry of Gouldings, although that one was bought second-hand from Wiltshire. In the days before the firm majored on ERFs, that Albion was reckoned to be the best motor in the fleet. I regularly volunteered as second man on the bagged flour jobs as it meant I could be chief pilot while the regular driver kipped in the passenger seat. It was worth all those granary steps to get my hands on that six-speed gearbox!

Hi Ross, My thread is back on this page now and you are right, the picture of 6220 DD was taken on a Sunday morning in February 1962.I was watching but can’t remember who took the photo.It had just been collected from Praills of Hereford by the Bown brothers (Tim & Tubby-Tim was to be designated driver) It was the first Thornes Box to join the fleet and in it’s day was some motor it would have been the largest type of vehicle in Gloucester Market with the exception of an AEC Mammoth Major MkV Double decker which I saw there once about that time,it belonged to Thomas Muckle of Rothbury in Northumberland.Your Dad was one of my all time heroes I knew him from when I was about three not only did he frequent my Gran’s shop but as a little boy he saved me from what could have been a potentially life threatening situation - a story for another day!-Best Regards Noel

Hi Noel, dug this out of the back of the shed - does it ring any bells

Well as it happens I can tell you exactly what that is! There was never a vehicle of that reg but that plate was made by a dyslexic plate maker because it should be 1572 DG not 5172 DG|1572 DG was Terry Brooks’ new motor in 1963 a Dodge D308 to replace the BMC 2613 FH in which Brooksy and I had the mega prang at Crabbs Cross. Unfortunately the aforementioned BMC model FFK was written off but the body and box were salvaged.
This was not the only anomaly regarding number plates which occurred in the Warner history.One Saturday in 1966 a brand new Albion Reiver was delivered by Carmichael’s from Worcester Reg No JUY 644D it had a platform body and was to carry the Tamplin demountable bulker which Derek Hussell was going to use on Thomas Comely grain haulage. However when Derek left the yard with it on the Monday morning it bore the Reg No KFK 29D it transpired that Carmichaels had supplied two new Reivers on the same day and got the numbers wrong i.e Registration number relative to Chassis number. Allegedly two Carmichael fitters slunk into the yard in the early hours of Sunday morning and swapped the plates to save embarrassment and a certain huge bollocking.Hope that clears that one up Ross but save the plate as a wonderful piece of Warner memorobilia-Bloody marvellous Best Regards Noel

You also note that there are no holes drilled in it so it was never fitted! Cheers please keep evoking these wonderful memories it makes an old man very happy!

Drove past the end of the lane to Aston on Carrant begining of last month on the way to Prescott. Always brings back memories of seeing the Warners wagons on the A34 at Newcastle u Lyme, in those days the A34 went straight through the town centre. Our business was coal merchants and we only had little Bedfords, I was just a young lad then and thought the big Albion Reivers were the b’s and e’s, how I wanted to get behind the wheel of one.