Some Old Seddon's

There was also a 26-tons gvw model with Motor Panels Cab with AEC AV505 engine, D196 5-speed gearbox and 2-speed axle. These mainly went to BRS and I did see one in Rush Green Motors that I did consider rescuing, but the cab had rotted away.And I believe there was also a 32 tons gvw version with AEC AV760 engine, again for BRS, but I never saw one. Maybe a bit like the Guy Big J with the Gardner 8LXB 240 :question: :question: :question:

gingerfold:
There was also a 26-tons gvw model with Motor Panels Cab with AEC AV505 engine, D196 5-speed gearbox and 2-speed axle. These mainly went to BRS and I did see one in Rush Green Motors that I did consider rescuing, but the cab had rotted away.And I believe there was also a 32 tons gvw version with AEC AV760 engine, again for BRS, but I never saw one. Maybe a bit like the Guy Big J with the Gardner 8LXB 240 :question: :question: :question:

IIRC Containerways (BRS owned) who were based at Preston and Purfleet or Barking ran a fair number of the coachbuilt Seddons and then the later 32/4’s so I wonder which engines they used ? Cheers Dennis.

Gingerfold wrote; There was also a 26-tons gvw model with Motor Panels Cab with AEC AV505 engine

Sorry I failed to mention BRS Graham, the Seddon mag I have also states the AEC AV691 for BRS with the 30 Ton MkII cabbed model and Nick Baldwins BRS book also mentions the BRS motors used on their associate Roadferry Seddons used the AEC AV690 as the Fleet Engineer preferred a ‘quick’ engine as opposed to the Gardner models, it seems BRS did have 32/Four/220 Rolls engine Motor Panels units too in large numbers later on. Hopefully this answers Dennis’ question too.
Franky.

Frankydobo:
Toddy2 Wrote; Interesting that Dennis, i remember that when my late Dad worked at Marwin Transport (aka Brit European) they had 2 Seddons on F plates, the one with the plastic cab they referred to as the big Seddon, was (I thought) 32 ton, the motor panels model they called the little Seddon was (I think) 28 ton.

I would think the ‘Little Seddon’ referred to was because it was the lower Motor Panels metal cabbed lighter artic, these either had the 6.354 Perkins or Perkins V8 engines fitted, the same cab was fitted to the rigid 13 and 16:Four:354/V8 models and likely the reason drivers named them as Big and Little as well as having the gross weight difference.

It seems the MkII fibre glass coachbuilt cabs may have been finally fitted up to F Reg units there is an example below from NT Motors, they had at least two and also G Reg 32:Four units with Motor Panels cabs. These F Reg cabs also had the deeper front bumper that came with the motor panels cabs and even though classed as 30:4:6LX types they would have been legally running at 32 Tons by that date. I wonder if these cabs were specified by the owners or when the order was placed the motor panels cabs were not at first available, maybe someone will know. I thought this cab was better than the later motor panels anyway. Cheers Franky.
Lower Motor Panels cabbed Seddon Diesel below.

Yep that green one was same as Marwins big Seddon complete with Gardner engine and 'kitchen cupboard vents on the front - the little Seddon with the motor panels cab had a Perkins in it

Yeah Toddy2, the Northeast company my Father drove for and where I was an apprentice fitter were long time users of Seddon Diesel, those 28 ton Perkins 354 units were noisy though and compared to their big brothers not as preferable to drive although I recall no one was keen to jump into my dads C Reg Seddon 150 unit whenever he took his holidays, with no power steering and a max speed of 41mph (that extra 1 mph seemed very important to dad which he managed to squeeze out of the engine after tweaking the throttle linkage!, in fact he said he got ushered out of Seddons factory one day when he went to collect the unit after a rear axle change due to the previous one keep breaking half shafts and took the opportunity to complain about the top speed) others did prefer driving the AEC engined Seddons despite being lower gross weights. However my Father was fond of this wagon and said it never let him down all the time he had it until replaced by a J Reg 220 Rolls Motor Panels model, especially when used for two years on night trunk over the Standage on route to Mossely. Franky.

A brand new ICI Seddon four wheeler parked on the forecourt of body builders Oswald Tillotson whose premises were at the Summit Works Manchester Road Burnley

Found this on another site,nmp.

IMG_1932.JPG

moomooland:
0A brand new ICI Seddon four wheeler parked on the forecourt of body builders Oswald Tillotson whose premises were at the Summit Works Manchester Road Burnley

I would hazard an educated guess that it is a Hanson lorry on contract to ICI Dyestuffs

gingerfold:

moomooland:
0A brand new ICI Seddon four wheeler parked on the forecourt of body builders Oswald Tillotson whose premises were at the Summit Works Manchester Road Burnley

I would hazard an educated guess that it is a Hanson lorry on contract to ICI Dyestuffs

I think you are right about the Seddon Its a 1946 Reg from Huddersfield, Regards Larry.

FR Seddon.jpg Nabisco Foods, Welwyn Garden City, 25th of May 1967.
The container holds a consignment of Mary Baker butterfly cakes for Fine Fare Supermarkets in Glasgow.
The container would be transferred to a rail wagon at a Freightliner terminal, completing the bulk of its journey by rail.

Nice to see this thread back up again with a nice period photo, I would think that Seddon Diesel unit had an AEC 470 or 505 engine fitted. Franky.

Green Man Garage, Ashbourne, Derbys. Later Kennings, now gone. (from Facebook, NMP).

11022586_1542099659398622_2295751947746130858_n.jpg

A Seddon in the lubrication bay, Ballidon Quarry, Ballidon, Derbyshire. (Again from Facebook and NMP).

Pete.

Frankydobo:
Nice to see this thread back up again with a nice period photo, I would think that Seddon Diesel unit had an AEC 470 or 505 engine fitted. Franky.

Did Seddon ever use the AEC 505 engine ? Cheers Bewick.

It is down as one of the options Dennis possibly fitted to some of the later MKII coachbuilt cabbed units. I recall when my dad got his 65 Reg 150 Gardner Tractor new, the unit that came just months before it had the AEC engine but can’t remember if it was the 470 or 505 possibly the first back in 65, it was rated at 28 Tons where as Dad got the first 30:4:6LX tractor the company bought which was plated for the coming 32Ton regs. Mmm maybe a 505 powered Seddon may prove as illusive as the 8LXB GUY, maybe we shouldn’t go there! :smiley: Franky.

Bewick:

Frankydobo:

Did Seddon ever use the AEC 505 engine ? Cheers Bewick.

Franky, the Freightliner Seddon is a 30/4 and they specified the AEC AV690 engine up to 1965/6 and then the AEC AV691. Pennine Mk.2 cabbed 20/6/470 6-wheelers could had the AEC AVU470 and there was a 4-wheeler 16/4/470 with AVU470 specially for BRS of which 50 were built, and of which I restored FRC 805C, ex-BRS Derby, which is still going strong 31 years after I bought if from Rush Green. Arguably those 16/4/470s were the first factory built 16 tonners to go on the road after the C&U regs were revised in 1964. On a long distance event with FRC it returned 16-17 mpg, okay running light, but with a 140 bhp rating on the AVU470, 6-speed D197 O/D gearbox and Moss axle at 6.83:1 its top speed was only 53mph, but I only ever needed 5th and 6th gears once I’d set off. I once did a long road run up into Scotland from Newmarket with 9 tonnes of blocks on the old girl just to see how it went and the weight didn’t make that much difference to its performance,except the fuel mpg came down to 11.5 mpg, but still very acceptable for a 1965 lorry. It used to sail through its annual MoT test and typically I’d drive it about 2,500 to 3,000 miles each summer and it never needed any engine oil between annual oil and filter change. One year at the Cheshire Steam Fair when Frank Whalley was putting on a special Atkinson and Seddon display he asked me how long it had taken me to drive from Newmarket and I said “exactly three hours”, he couldn’t believe it and started looking for the ‘hidden 2-speed axle button.’

As to Dennis’s question, I don’t think the Mk2 cabbed range ever had the AV505, but the Motor Panels cab range did. There was a 26/4/505 model, artic unit, with AV505, 5-speed Thornycroft / AEC D196 gearbox, and Eaton 2-speed axle. BRS had some and it was also an “open market” model. There was at least one of these in Rush Green Motors, which I was very tempted to buy, but the Motor Panels cab was beyond saving.

Various.
Oily

Seddon Ronnie 7682441426_a19360bd96_rco.jpg

Many thanks for the interesting explanations Franky & “GF” as I have to own up to not being clued up at all on those earlier Seddons or the AEC engines. I suppose you could call Seddons an “economy” assembler in comparison to the “big 3” Atki, ERF & Foden, but they certainly had a loyal following even it was mainly based on price ! Cheers Dennis.

Nice choice of pics Oily, Graham I was racking my brains last night about where I’d read about the 505 option and all I could find was the 1968 edition Observer’s listing this option but for the 22:6:470 (505) 6x2 rigid with MkII cab and not a tractor, my mistake there. Now again whether this is correct although these early books did tend to be quite accurate in their technical info. This is the said vehicle below, cheers Franky.

Croppers of Kendal paper makers, kept their last 6 wheeler running after they had gone articulated it was powered by a Leyland 600 and was driven by the late Frank Forrest, a Pal of mine for many years, who didn’t want to move onto an artic. When he retired they disposed of it. Cheers Dennis.

Seddon operated by Currie Contracts from Heywood, this vehicle was part of the Shamrock Express fleet operating on the Irish operations but would never have crossed over with that registration in its day.