So you in or out

TST were trying this “out of scope” thing when they were stuck delivering concrete panels on sites and wind shut down the crane for half a spread.

Couple of their yokes had wire through the wheels@ DVSA Glenluce last month!!![emoji28]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

ezydriver:

muckles:

beefy4605:
would this come under “Out of Scope”?
arrive at a factory to drop a trailer for loading .
Drop trailer and then get a phonecall to say I’m needed to shunt trailers round said factory for a couple of hours .
Shunt a few trailers on and off bays for 2 hours .
take 45mins rest and then bounce to our yard .
Can that 2 hours shunting be classed as out of scope ?

No.

What if a driver used the battered old FL10 shunt unit to do the shunting? Legally, would he be obliged to use a paper tacho chart?

Sometimes we have to move 3 or 4 motors in our yard at the start of our shift so we can get our own vehicles out. Are we obliged to put our tachograph in each vehicle we move? I’m curious where the law lays here.

Legally you only need to use a tachograph if part of the journey is on public roads.

For instance, if you pick a trailer up and move it around the yard before taking it to wherever your going it’s part of the same journey that’s taking you onto public roads.

If you’re moving vehicles/trailers around the yard before starting your trip, and those vehicles/trailers are not the one you will be taking out it’s not part of the journey that will take you onto a public road, so it’s out of scope.

Any part of the actual journey that takes you onto a public road is in-scope of EU regulations, even moving the vehicle or trailer to load it is in-scope, but if you’re moving/loading vehicles or trailers that you’re not taking onto public roads it’s not part of the journey and it’s not in-scope.

muckles:
Equally bored and found it, :smiley:
Drivers’ hours and tachographs: goods vehicles - 1. EU and AETR rules on drivers’ hours - Guidance - GOV.UK

Note: All off road driving between rest periods will also count towards the daily driving limit where there is also driving on the public highway between those same rest periods.Where there is no driving on the public highway between rest periods then any off road driving is considered to be ‘other work’.

That’s interesting they appear to have changed their minds about off-road driving as well.

The DVSA used to say what I’ve posted above.

that would have been Tomorrows Service Tomorrow(or possibly the day after) :smiley:

tachograph:

muckles:
Equally bored and found it, :smiley:
Drivers’ hours and tachographs: goods vehicles - 1. EU and AETR rules on drivers’ hours - Guidance - GOV.UK

Note: All off road driving between rest periods will also count towards the daily driving limit where there is also driving on the public highway between those same rest periods.Where there is no driving on the public highway between rest periods then any off road driving is considered to be ‘other work’.

That’s interesting they appear to have changed their minds about off-road driving as well.

The DVSA used to say what I’ve posted above.

Yep I know, I think Journey is a bit open to varying interpretations, between rest periods is a clearer.

dieseldog999:
that would have been Tomorrows Service Tomorrow(or possibly the day after) :smiley:

Heard the truck was shifting about the sites couple of times under “out of scope” yet they thought this wouldn’t break a daily rest!!![emoji52]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

tachograph:

beefy4605:
would this come under “Out of Scope”?
arrive at a factory to drop a trailer for loading .
Drop trailer and then get a phonecall to say I’m needed to shunt trailers round said factory for a couple of hours .
Shunt a few trailers on and off bays for 2 hours .
take 45mins rest and then bounce to our yard .
Can that 2 hours shunting be classed as out of scope ?

Legally you only need to use a tachograph if part of the journey is on public roads.

For instance, if you pick a trailer up and move it around the yard before taking it to wherever your going it’s part of the same journey that’s taking you onto public roads.

If you’re moving vehicles/trailers around the yard before starting your trip, and those vehicles/trailers are not the one you will be taking out it’s not part of the journey that will take you onto a public road, so it’s out of scope.

Any part of the actual journey that takes you onto a public road is in-scope of EU regulations, even moving the vehicle or trailer to load it is in-scope, but if you’re moving/loading vehicles or trailers that you’re not taking onto public roads it’s not part of the journey and it’s not in-scope.

Thanks Tachograph - so if I’m reading your reply correctly those 2 hours shunting trailers (not the one I brought in and I didn’t leave the factory with any trailer ) I could have used out of scope for it .

beefy4605:
Thanks Tachograph - so if I’m reading your reply correctly those 2 hours shunting trailers (not the one I brought in and I didn’t leave the factory with any trailer ) I could have used out of scope for it .

It appears that the DVSA have changed their minds on this, see the posts above.

I’m going to see if I can get clarification about this from the DVSA :wink:

tachograph:

beefy4605:

It appears that the DVSA have changed their minds on this, see the posts above.

I’m going to see if I can get clarification about this from the DVSA :wink:

I was under the assumption that the " new" rules were still current, hence the Felixstowe dock example and was going to say yes to being able to do that shunting, but they may have changed the rules again, or they have updated their interpretation of EU regs and missed something out of it.