-snip-

KTMrider:
Speaking as the holder of that very same qualification

And were there people on your course that could do Calculus with ease, yet you wouldn’t trust to wire a plug? :open_mouth:

I used to be a tractor driver on farms. I loved the practical side of the job and operating all the heavy equipment in nice scenery and with a good bunch of lads.

I studied Mechanical Engineering for 4 years. Got a 1st class Masters so you’d think I’d be behind a computer in an office all day. I’ve joined the forces and it’s fantastic. Practical work day in day out, new problems to solve every day and you’re working with a great bunch of lads.

I’d definitely recommend the OP looks at the military. I visit the lads on the farms every now and then and it still looks good fun but nothing’s changed. I’m happy with the choice I made.

Evil8Beezle:

KTMrider:
Speaking as the holder of that very same qualification

And were there people on your course that could do Calculus with ease, yet you wouldn’t trust to wire a plug? :open_mouth:

Quite possibly, although as it’s half my lifetime ago, quite hard for me to picture anyone in particular. There was a guy in the first year who would have struggled with both (our sympathetic nickname for him was Terry F Wit - Viz readers will understand) he can only have got in to help make up the numbers so they could run the course at our mediocre polytechnic (Tosside in the Middles Bog Horror) needless to say he didn’t make it to year two…

With this level of largely accurate cynicism…

Evil8Beezle:
Yep, not a lot of practical skills or training in a Mech Eng Degree. It’s all maths maths and maths… [emoji26]

And when you do qualify you can sit in an office in front of a computer day after day working towards your chartered engineer status.

They didn’t explain all that at the induction did they? [emoji13]

Nope, they just wanted to get you enrolled and their hands on your fees… [emoji49]

You sound somewhat like an ex - mech. eng. student yourself :question:

What I wouldn’t entirely agree with is the notion (also peddled by the previous poster) that Engineering graduates spend all their time sat in front of a computer - I am happy to say that as much of my time in manufacturing was spent on the factory floor as it was sat in front of a P.C. It was only when I completely F’d up by joining Railtrack / Network Rail that office induced boredom set in.

-snip-

There are jobs out there that would suit people with your qualifications, for example when I was on containers around 5 years ago I went on a job to Bristol. It was to pick up some machinery parts for delivery to Turkey. The blokes who were loading me were all lorry drivers, but their main duty was dismantling and re-assembling factory lines that were being exported for re-use. They loaded larger parts onto their own low loaders and others into containers, then drove them out to wherever they were going to be put them back together.
Sorry, I can’t remember the name of the company they worked for.

I now work for Openreach as a poler, this job involves driving a 12t class 2 peu (pole erection unit) but also requires good engineering skills, the job is outdoors in all weathers but interesting and challenging, also a degree would fast track you to a managerial position if that’s what you wanted.
Good luck

I’ve got a degree in mechanical engineering and up to a couple of years ago had a good job but was made redundant when the oil industry crashed.
I have a class 1 and started doing some driving hoping to get back into engineering. Unfortunately that didn’t happen (too old) and I’m still driving. I have applied for a few full time driving jobs that I was told I was over qualified for.
Would I rather sit behind a computer or a steering wheel? Computer every time.
There are some great jobs out there for engineers that can get you involved in amazing projects and can take you all over the world as well as good earning potential. As someone who has been an engineer and a driver I find it astonishing that someone would rather be a driver.

Mystery Action:
I’ve got a degree in mechanical engineering and up to a couple of years ago had a good job but was made redundant when the oil industry crashed.
I have a class 1 and started doing some driving hoping to get back into engineering. Unfortunately that didn’t happen (too old) and I’m still driving. I have applied for a few full time driving jobs that I was told I was over qualified for.
Would I rather sit behind a computer or a steering wheel? Computer every time.
There are some great jobs out there for engineers that can get you involved in amazing projects and can take you all over the world as well as good earning potential. As someone who has been an engineer and a driver I find it astonishing that someone would rather be a driver.

I like driving, because I like to see the scenery moving. To be fair, that includes my home live, I like to live on a boat, or in a van or truck. I feel content, but restless in a ‘brick and mortar’ home. That’s why I became a truck driver by trade (although the merchant navy was a close second).

I’m content. Having spend two years behind a computer, ( and enjoyed most of that time, for that time), I could not imagine doing that for the rest of my life…

I held the certificates to drive any ship of whatever size , wherever in the world apart from passenger or tankers but I let it lapse so now have just a local one (Bergen to St Vincent) but even so I’m quite happy just to plod around the Clyde estuary on a wood boat. Do whatever that makes you the happy …

raymundo:
I held the certificates to drive any ship of whatever size , wherever in the world apart from passenger or tankers but I let it lapse so now have just a local one (Bergen to St Vincent) but even so I’m quite happy just to plod around the Clyde estuary on a wood boat. Do whatever that makes you the happy …

Or…

Whatever floats your boat.

(Taxi…)

The hauliers will love you they would be getting two for the price of one do we not get abused enough without someone wanting to drive a truck and thinking a degree is needed for adr or special loads
HGV driver wanted must have degree in engineering top rates 15 quid an hour
What a waste of your own time in studying for something you will never use and just because you like driving but don’t like the multi drop
There is a lot of people in this game that have a trade but very few people would have a degree