Shropshire Hauliers,

Hi
another photo of MIL 1430 T cab with tipping body on and drag coupled

Regards Keith.

Re Grocott

This one went over the water, taken in Italy in 1982 - Sorry about the quality…

This one didn’t go abroad, but is a Shropshire haulier, painted in Kronospan colours. Taken in 2002( I miss this truck :frowning: :frowning: )

Hi
here is my first truck, a 1964 TK 12.35ton with a six cyl 330 engine. I was on the road with it the day I was seventeen. We took the body off and put single wheels on the back to take it to the wieghbridge to get it under three ton unladon so that i could drive it on a car licence.We then refastend the body on with container locks, so it now had a removable body for offical purposes.
My first load was for ETC at Ellesmere then did a few months for Ray Grocott,before hauling fertilizer for Adam Lythgoe from Widnes till I was nineteen when I went ME with my father.
One day while delivering fertilizer in the Welsh hills a farmer said to me where do you come from to which I replied Tybroughton, pointing to the name on the drivers door.O right he said so where does the other door come from then? Wondering what he was on about I went around to the pasenger door where you could see our local sign wrighter had left out the"g" in Tybroughton. We had run it for two years and one one had noticed not even us.It had taken a sharp eyed Welsh farmer to point it out.The sign wrighter was Randle Lewis from Whichurch, he was good at his work when he was not in the pub but could not spell ,a bit like me :exclamation: You had to wright down exactly what you wanted even then he still got it wrong.

Regards Keith.

Hi
Here is another

Regards Keith.

dessert driver:
Hi
Here is another

Regards Keith.

Hi Keith,
Just shows how small the TK was compared to the Scania, and how the Scania would compare with some of todays trucks.I remember seeing a Volvo F88 on a road run at Prees Heath, parked next to a Magnum, which made even that look small
Cheers Dave.

Hi Dave
That TK may look small in those photos but at seventeen handballing 8 ton of Kayphos fertilizer in 1cwt bags on at Widnes then of again at farms in the Welsh hills every day, believe me it seemed massive. It served me well and I did over 100,000 mile in it in two years with very little trouble.We changed the origanal four speed box for a five which helped a lot in the hills. The disk hand brake on the prop was always needing ajustment,then one day it ran away with me after standing in a farm yard near Mifod. It had stayed there for half an hour while I had unloaded 2 ton off the back then suddenley started off backwards running over the farmers transport box and a stack of land drainage pipes finally coming to rest in the hedge with the hand brake still applied. We came to the conclution that the disk had cooled down and contracted thus releasing the brake.After this eppisoed we changed it for a drum type which was a lot better plus we did not have to ajust it so often.
If I had more than one drop I always unloaded from the front first as if you did not the steering would be so heavey that you could not steer it, plus it helped with the traction in the hills. Happy times a :slight_smile:

Regards Keith.

Hi Keith,
I drove TK Bedfords, also a KM, the TK’S carried 9ton 16cwt payload, running at 14 ton gross until the plating came in 1968.
My old man drove TK’s on animal feeds along with all sorts of other Bedfords and various other makes delivering around farms for over 40 years, passed a class one, when HGV license came out, but still carried on with bag ■■■■■■■ until he retired. He was sent to do the HGV 1 test, so that he could ride shotgun, to learn young drivers, his firm paid for him, knowing he wouldn’t leave, it wouldn’t happpen nowadays.
Cheers Dave

Hi Dave
Although the Scania was King of the road at the time, the comepition being 150/180 Gardners, that little Bedford when loaded would stick with the loaded Scania. Unforturnetly the goverment in their wisdom decided to change from “under 3 ton unladen” to “over7.5 ton gross”.They gave anyone,including me, driving a vehicle under 3 ton unladen but under 21 a HGV licence up to 10 ton gross.Therefore taking 2.35 ton of my payload.This coincided with Father going out ME so we parked the Bedford up and I went second man with him. I drove that Scania over the water for two years doing over 150,000 mile before I was old enough to get my class 1 over here.You are right in what you say about the size of the moden trucks, I now drive a 144/530 for G Mayer plant hire from Coton nr Whitchurch and would have no problem with loading a 40t machine on the stepframe. Not so long ago anything over about 12t would have been put on a drop well trailer.
Here is a couple of photos of it with a 25t machine on taken at Horsehay Telford ready to move to Immingham docks on route to Sweden.

By the way Dave most of your photos of tippers seem to be taken from the pasenger seat of your van, have you got a showfer or a seat cover taking photos for you? Also there seems to be a lot taken in a layby with a butty van in it, Does the boss know you keep stopping or have you got shares in it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

My partner takes the pics when she is with me, don’t work full time Keith, had a bad RTA years ago, just work as a freelance CPC holder these days, if you look again at the layby Pics at the butty van, thats my silver sprinter. No lorry license now, just CPC National and International. But lorries are in my blood.
Cheers DAVE.

Most of the tipper pics, plus the snack van are local. The silver van is mine.

dessert driver:
Hi Dave
Although the Scania was King of the road at the time, the comepition being 150/180 Gardners, that little Bedford when loaded would stick with the loaded Scania. Unforturnetly the goverment in their wisdom decided to change from “under 3 ton unladen” to “over7.5 ton gross”.They gave anyone,including me, driving a vehicle under 3 ton unladen but under 21 a HGV licence up to 10 ton gross.Therefore taking 2.35 ton of my payload.This coincided with Father going out ME so we parked the Bedford up and I went second man with him. I drove that Scania over the water for two years doing over 150,000 mile before I was old enough to get my class 1 over here.You are right in what you say about the size of the moden trucks, I now drive a 144/530 for G Mayer plant hire from Coton nr Whitchurch and would have no problem with loading a 40t machine on the stepframe. Not so long ago anything over about 12t would have been put on a drop well trailer.
Here is a couple of photos of it with a 25t machine on taken at Horsehay Telford ready to move to Immingham docks on route to Sweden.

Over weight, over sixty, and parked near St Davids Pembroke march this year. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

By the way Dave most of your photos of tippers seem to be taken from the pasenger seat of your van, have you got a showfer or a seat cover taking photos for you? Also there seems to be a lot taken in a layby with a butty van in it, Does the boss know you keep stopping or have you got shares in it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Dave
Sorry to hear about the RTA but glad you are still on the road,otherwise we would not have seen all those photos :slight_smile:
I have an X reg Sprinter that I use at work for fitting duties when not in the truck.It goes well but at about 23/24 to the gallon a little thirsty compaired to the old Transit of 43/44 that I used to have.
By the way has no one else got any photos of Shropshire Hauliers ?

Regards Keith.

Hi Keith,
My Merc does well over 30mpg, but it doesn’t have any kit aboard like yours, also a 5 cylinder 156 bhp engine, so I’m in a high gear most of the time, saying that my transit with 80 bhp does about the same, both have auto boxes, transit has done 240,000 and doesn’t use oil.
I don’t know many Shropshire hauliers, but I do know Norman Jones from Ludlow, who has some old F88’S , will have a word with him, he’s bound to have some pics.
I expect a lot of Shropshire hauliers pics have been on other threads, long before I came on here, seen a few of Cadwalladers and other Oswestry hauliers on the photo forum.
Cheers Dave.

Express Motor carriers, Oswestry in the seventies

Hi oxo3
I have not seen the EMC F88 lately do you now if it is still about.

Regards Keith

Keith, Brian Denny From Oswestry bought the EMC F88 But saddly gone to far to restore.But he has just restored a F88 in Caddwaladers colours.

EMC F88 at the first truck raceing at donnington park in the eighties

What about this one boys

oxo3:
What about this one boys

Nice one,oxo,got any more .