Sherran's ... and other Manchester firms

No problems R.O.F.

I came across this on E-bay and thought that somebody on here might of known a K.Bennet who worked for Tom Garner many years ago or might of known his family who might be interested in this.

ebay.co.uk/itm/WALLET-1941-P … 7123319688

flishflunk:
And this one from the local paper. Don’t know whether it’s a Manchester firm or not, but it says manchester road, mind you it also says the lorry is carrying a load of beer barrels. I for one wouldn’t like to drink the contents.

Ray

That’s a great photo Ray, :smiley: can anybody work out which Manchester Road the photo was taken on. :confused:

With all those “Sharras” it reminds me of this little gem taken on Blackpool Road in Preston. Are we there yet. :laughing:

Regards Steve.

A few more from yesteryear.

Regards Steve.

I remember well all those smart, green-liveried Bridgewater Atkis. I also recall the “Manchester Docks” entrance but I can’t for the life of me remember which road it was on. Anyone want to enlighten a stupid, forgetful old fool?

Trafford Road

Another Bridgewater.

Main entrance which was on Trafford Road.
All that’s left. It’s now a dual carriageway.

Ray

Thanks, chaps. How could I possibly have forgotten that? :unamused:

pp o`connors old and new

Harry Evers. Pic from Salfordonline. Caption says Eccles Wharf.

Ray

Kaye Goodfellow Foden RNB 721J

J M Horrocks & Sons Ltd Miles Platting Manchester.

A shot taken sometime in 1972 on Old Market Street Blackley Manchester.

mushroomman:

flishflunk:
And this one from the local paper. Don’t know whether it’s a Manchester firm or not, but it says manchester road, mind you it also says the lorry is carrying a load of beer barrels. I for one wouldn’t like to drink the contents.

Ray

That’s a great photo Ray, :smiley: can anybody work out which Manchester Road the photo was taken on. :confused:

With all those “Sharras” it reminds me of this little gem taken on Blackpool Road in Preston. Are we there yet. :laughing:

Regards Steve.

Looks like Droylesden Road,the junction is almost opposite where Robinsons jam was made( remember the Gollywog? )

David

A good clue for the definitive location is the Bond Minicar dealer on the left. There must have been only one of those in Manchester, surely?

Any of you manchester lads remember a company from around the middleton area in the 60s called Thomas Burton they ran a few tippers from their yard somewhere near to J W Lees brewery near to the bridge at josuha street.

in the dim distant i remember the lorries with THOMAS BURTON (RHODES) on the doors . i don’t know if that would be the same company . cheers , dave

gingerfold:
A good clue for the definitive location is the Bond Minicar dealer on the left. There must have been only one of those in Manchester, surely?

Hiya Gingerfold, it`s the location of the top picture they want. The other pic is definitely B/pool Rd, Preston. :unamused:

5thwheel:

mushroomman:

flishflunk:

Ray

Looks like Droylesden Road,the junction is almost opposite where Robinsons jam was made( remember the Gollywog? )

David

There’s a memory- I used to haul plums from Gloucestershire to Robinsons. Must have been mid-sixties?

rigsby:
in the dim distant i remember the lorries with THOMAS BURTON (RHODES) on the doors . i don’t know if that would be the same company . cheers , dave

Thats the company Dave.