Sherran's ... and other Manchester firms

Anyone remember these around Manchester in the 60/70s Megans Plant Hire.

they were at the back of worsley ind est john moved machines for them think they’v all gone now

Another one of McKelvies (off ebay again photographer not known)
Scammell

McKelvie Scammell.JPG

Hiya John, Looking for pics of H Currie based M/c1 then later as Shamrock Express on the
Heywood Ind Est, hope you can help.
Regards J.

Hi Jakdaw
Will keep my eyes open for you but I think the man who may have some photos knocking about will be moomooland if anyone.
Cheers John

Stanfield:
Hi Jakdaw
Will keep my eyes open for you but I think the man who may have some photos knocking about will be moomooland if anyone.
Cheers John

Thank`s John for replying.

Anyone remember the company that were based at the Snipe in Audenshaw, Cheethams Transport if I remember they were behind the cafe I think.

Hadfields yard off Oldham Rd Manchester.
Hadfield%20Transport%202[1].JPG
And the first place I remember them having on Old St Ashton U Lyne in the 50s

Another Foden belonging to Harry Evers of Ancoats Manchester.Photo by Peter Davies

A couple of Vitafoam Volvo FM12 at their Middleton depot.PN02YUY over the pit and PJ52HLK waiting in the yard.

Hi John, old Ernie Cooke the Vitafoam fitter in the sixties/ seventies would probably have his work cut out working on those fine looking motors. Ernie probably spent most his time working on this lot courtesy of The Stilltime Collection.

B.T.W. Ernie in his spare time was a very enthusiastic brass bandsman and after his death many people who had met him had a whip round in his memory and The Ernie Cooke Trophy was for many years competed for during The Whit Week Band Contest.
R.I.P. Ernie.

Regards Steve.

If memory serves, that would have been in the days when British Vita sponsored a car racing team. Anyone remember more details?

Retired Old ■■■■:
If memory serves, that would have been in the days when British Vita sponsored a car racing team. Anyone remember more details?

Yes you are correct ROF. Vita-D was the name of the team they sponsored with a BMC mini in the European Touring Car Championships in 1963 and won it in 1968 according to the web site that I just Googled.I have always had an interest in motor sport from the fifties but memory fails me again on that one.
Nice shot of the garage and the fleet from the 60/70 period, my favourite time span along with the 50’s. :slight_smile:

Thats a cracking photo MRM from the early years,I was in there the other day and I happened to mention that a mate of mine works there has a driver and the lad I was chatting to said that most of the drivers had been their for years and that none ever left,getting a driving job was a case of ‘deadmans shoes’ which I can believe because my mates been there a good few years now, it fact the job he had before was for Brewliners which was part of Wilsons brewery and they packed in years ago now.

Well lads, what you have to remember is that it was over forty years ago when I first started there but I always enjoyed working for them and to be fair they looked after me very well. Although it was a big union firm they always paid a bit more than the going union rate. In the seventies there were a lot of drivers who had been there for over twenty years and one of them was there when they first started. I don’t know if you are aware John but Vitafoam started off from what I was told in The Glen Mill on Wellyhole Street in Oldham just after the war. Strangely enough, I have recently taken an interest in the first world war and I came across these articles about the second world war and The Glen Mill which I think that some of you might find interesting.

google.com.au/#q=glen+mill+oldham

As regards Vita Racing R.O.F. and T.L.D. I only went to their premises once which was near the railway crossing on Smithy Bridge Road, Milnrow although I have a feeling that they did a management buy out from Vita in the early seventies. I vaguely remember that whenever Vita replaced their company cars they gave the employees the chance to buy them by putting a bid in a sealed envelope. On one of the car parks next to the factory in Middleton there used to be a white Lotus Cortina which parked there every day and still displayed the Vita stickers. It belonged to one of the workers from inside the factory and I always presumed that it was one of the old Vita rallying cars.
And as I was just looking at some old Vita photos I came across this one from Vita Salford which I think might of been the old Mandleburg’s factory who I believe made barrage balloons in the second world war. I remember going in a café near the factory but I can’t remember what it was called so I can’t show this on The Old Cafe’s thread . :cry:

Regards Steve.

Another Vita oldie, note the Glen Mill address on the cab door.

Another one from the Glen Mill site
Vitafoam from Oldham.jpg

Stanfield:
Another one from the Glen Mill site0

Lovely old picture stansfield , thank you Trevor .

Another from Bradford Pit.

I’ve noticed a few PP O’Connor pics on here.
This one is A O’Connor. Any relation?

And this one from the local paper. Don’t know whether it’s a Manchester firm or not, but it says manchester road, mind you it also says the lorry is carrying a load of beer barrels. I for one wouldn’t like to drink the contents.

Ray

mushroomman:
Well lads, what you have to remember is that it was over forty years ago when I first started there but I always enjoyed working for them and to be fair they looked after me very well. Although it was a big union firm they always paid a bit more than the going union rate. In the seventies there were a lot of drivers who had been there for over twenty years and one of them was there when they first started. I don’t know if you are aware John but Vitafoam started off from what I was told in The Glen Mill on Wellyhole Street in Oldham just after the war. Strangely enough, I have recently taken an interest in the first world war and I came across these articles about the second world war and The Glen Mill which I think that some of you might find interesting.

google.com.au/#q=glen+mill+oldham

As regards Vita Racing R.O.F. and T.L.D. I only went to their premises once which was near the railway crossing on Smithy Bridge Road, Milnrow although I have a feeling that they did a management buy out from Vita in the early seventies. I vaguely remember that whenever Vita replaced their company cars they gave the employees the chance to buy them by putting a bid in a sealed envelope. On one of the car parks next to the factory in Middleton there used to be a white Lotus Cortina which parked there every day and still displayed the Vita stickers. It belonged to one of the workers from inside the factory and I always presumed that it was one of the old Vita rallying cars.
And as I was just looking at some old Vita photos I came across this one from Vita Salford which I think might of been the old Mandleburg’s factory who I believe made barrage balloons in the second world war. I remember going in a café near the factory but I can’t remember what it was called so I can’t show this on The Old Cafe’s thread . :cry:

Regards Steve.

Thanks for the info, Steve.