Sherran's ... and other Manchester firms

BonkeyDollocks:
Does anyone know if ‘Tom’s Tippers’ are still operating ?

Remember in the mid 80s, they had a right eclectic mix of ancient ex Tarmac and ex Peakstone vehicles on contract to Peakstone Hope Street Salford.

They were always early risers those lads, they’d be in Dove Holes at 5am collecting some single size l/s or dust to take down to Hope Street upon which they’d spend the rest of the day working out of there.

Tommy still going strong… Out of Bredbury plant these days

Does anyone out there remember Andrews & Bond from Water st Salford just at the end of Regent rd (were Harry Ramsden fish & chips are ) my dad started there then they moved to Irlam . Anyone got any photos I,ve only got one and this was taken in Irlam

AsphaltAnimal:

BonkeyDollocks:

Remember in the mid 80s, they had a right eclectic mix of ancient ex Tarmac and ex Peakstone vehicles on contract to Peakstone Hope Street Salford.

They were always early risers those lads, they’d be in Dove Holes at 5am collecting some single size l/s or dust to take down to Hope Street upon which they’d spend the rest of the day working out of there.

Tommy Naughton’s are on New Bank Street,Longsight Manchester,near the heavy vehicle breakdown crowd.

David :slight_smile:

I used to run with some of Naughton’s lads out of Tilcon’s plant at Weaste, now owned by Agg Industries/ Bardon I believe since Tatmac and Tilcon joined via Anglo - American. :cry: Used to run aggregate into Bredbury from Ballidon as well, three loads a day, when it was just a Trumix plant.

Pete.

that pic of andrews and bond they had a garage in the 70s on viaduct st broadheath opp jackie davidsons

bob-lad:
that pic of andrews and bond they had a garage in the 70s on viaduct st broadheath opp jackie davidsons

My dad worked out of Water St Salford mid 70s i,m sure , I am right saying Harry Ramsden fish and chip shop is there now ■■? ,then they moved to Irlam

Boatchaser:

bob-lad:

Water Street Salford, Lloyds Transport & Warehousing had a place there, I used to load soap powder sometimes, [Thos Hedley] Then Proctor & Gamble in later years, All handball in those days, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Boatchaser:

bob-lad:

Water Street Salford, Lloyds Transport & Warehousing had a place there, I used to load soap powder sometimes, [Thos Hedley] Then Proctor & Gamble in later years, All handball in those days, Regards Larry.

Larry,

were Lloyds Packing anything to do with Lloyds Transport,they were Miles Platting I think,not far from Oldham Road?

David :wink:

I dont know if they were connected, The Lloyds Transport & Warehousing as far as I can remember had a Depot in Liverpool also, They ran some 8 Legger Scammells at that time, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
I dont know if they were connected, The Lloyds Transport & Warehousing as far as I can remember had a Depot in Liverpool also, They ran some 8 Legger Scammells at that time, Regards Larry.

This ex wrecker of A E Evans Sheffield depot was formerly a Lloyds Warehousing motor in Water Street,Manchester,pulled a trailer. AEC Mandator ONC 893,9.6 engine and 5-speed box.Drove it many a time,bit of black smoke though! :smiley:

Photo courtesy of Tony Griffin.

Anyone remember ‘Fro-Containers’ based somewhere down the bottom end of Deansgate in the middle 70’s ? They had a couple of Mandator’s, one with a tacked on coffin sleeper, blue and white livery and did frozen chicken to Ireland & Europe.
OK I might be mistaken about some of the details, it was a long time ago :laughing: :wink:

Regards
Dave Penn;

Has any body got any more photo,s of Claribel Motors from around the 60’s and early 70’s. I am looking for pictures of my Dad.

These were put on by sepo back in October 2011 they are on page 10 of this thread,I am certain he wont mind me bringing them forward a couple of pages for you.Whose your Dad by the way he may know him ? you never know.

10.jpg
11.jpg

5thwheel:

AsphaltAnimal:

BonkeyDollocks:

Tommy Naughton’s are on New Bank Street,Longsight Manchester,near the heavy vehicle breakdown crowd.

David :slight_smile:

This was my 1st truck as an od when I put it up for sale Tommy rang me up and made an offer it, he then let me still run it until I find a replacement and when I was looking he even give me the heads up on what was about. A top bloke

heyup dave , have you heard from your old feller recently , we had our 70th birthday on the same day . when you are in touch again wish him all the best for the new year from me , and of course the same to you and your family , cheers , dave

stu62:
Has any body got any more photo,s of Claribel Motors from around the 60’s and early 70’s. I am looking for pictures of my Dad.

Hi Mate, whos your Dad I’ll ask my old fella if he s any more pics

rigsby:
heyup dave , have you heard from your old feller recently , we had our 70th birthday on the same day . when you are in touch again wish him all the best for the new year from me , and of course the same to you and your family , cheers , dave

He s not 70 till next year Dave, I remember you saying your birthdays were on the same date before, We’re all fine and all the best to you and yours… Sepo

Happy Birthday today to Tony Taylor, I hope that you have many more of them mate.
I wonder if you can remember walking past this place many years ago.

Regards Steve.

Larry… One of Lloyds Transport & Warehousings Thames Traders from water street M/chester,you will remember these I would think.
(Photo from one of Peter Davies articles)

Richardsons vehicle repairers Wellyhole Street Oldham.

Boatchaser:
Does anyone out there remember Andrews & Bond from Water st Salford just at the end of Regent rd (were Harry Ramsden fish & chips are ) my dad started there then they moved to Irlam . Anyone got any photos I,ve only got one and this was taken in Irlam

yes.i worked for them for 11 years.what’s your dad’s name ? i was the transport manager.brian