Sherran's ... and other Manchester firms

Some more photos lent to me by Linda Bacon who is the wife of James Bacons nephew.J Bacon and Co Ltd was a tipper haulier during the 50/60/70s and was based in the Blackley area of Manchester.Anyone else remember them.
Bedford with greedy boards fitted for waste material movements from the chemical company Hardman & Holden of Miles Platting.
James Bacon (Himself)

Leyland Comet

A couple of Bedfords again both with greedy boards fitted

Commer Superpose 1958 bought new.

Fodenfan:
Looks like this picture was taken from an article about Road Haulage in the Manchester Area in Vintage Roadscene Vol 9 No 35 June-August 1993, the article was called ‘Bringing Home the Bacon’ (Reminiscences of the 1950s) by W K Berry.

Hi Fodenfan–You are quite right mate the Foden picture was out of the Vintage Roadscene mag from 93 got it here in front of me borrowed it from Linda Bacon herself.

Stanfield:
Quote(( That photo was definitely not taken outside their yard that they had in the early sixties on Middleton Old Road but the photo looks like it could of been taken in the late forties early fifties))

Hi Steve it was taken outside his yard if you look close in between the two lorries you can just see the dome on top of the fuel pump which was on the pavement opposite,in fact when I called in the other day the concrete pad what it was fixed too is still there and also one of the pics on the office wall shows exactly the same pump.Cheers John

Hiya John, I was sure that there wasn’t a fuel pump outside Jim’s yard when I went round there in the sixties and I can’t remember that one across the road :blush: .
Having spent the last three days digging up The Manchester Archieves I came across these little nuggets that maybe Jim, Linda and yourself haven’t seen before, enjoy.

I wonder if that was one of Jim’s Bedford T.K.'s.

This one I think was taken in 1958.

Jims yard on the right looking down from Rochdale Road taken in 1972.

The back of Jim’s yard taken from Lion Brow.

Jim’s yard is on the middle left hand side.

Regards Steve.

Brilliant Steve,Nothings changed much except there are a few more cars on the street nowadays,the little garage is still there opposite and still in business.I would imagine the TK was one of Jims,going into see Linda again this week for some more pics. :slight_smile:

Hello John, let’s hope that they can supply some more of those cracking photos :smiley: .
When I sent you that P.M. last week I mentioned that Jim had an old Bedford or Austin that had like a bumper bar half way up the front.
Well I think that it was that Bedford with the dog in the photo, could the bloke be Jim Bacon himself.
There used to be a red Bedford which I always thought belonged to Jim which was parked for years on a bit of spare ground at the top of the street on Rochdale Road near where those keep left bollards were. It was probably cannibalised, then it was vandalised and then it lay there rusting away for years.
It looks like the area is well over due for some urban gentrification, the government should invest in Britain before it gives millions of pounds away overseas but then we all know that :cry: .

Regards Steve.

Lawrence Dunbar:
I used to run to Manchester from time to time I can remember H Currie & Son. they got a new Ergo cabbed tractor unit in 1970/1 with a single axle box van, it was fitted with Hope Anti Jack Knife device, the driver was in Trafford Park at one of those hut cafes, cant remember the name, there were quite a few in those days. but I never saw him after that, Cheers Larry

Hiya Larry,
That would be the trailer in the background,as they only had the one single axle trailer.
Maybe that was the driver in the foreground. The hut cafe was probably the Ribble cafe on Ribble rd,IIRC.

JAMES BACON Ltd Middleton Old Road Blackley M/chester .Another photo borrowed from Linda Bacon showing 3 of his Bedford tippers parked in the sheds plus J Bacon snr (not certain of van model) Morris?

One or two more of James Bacons lorries (photos with kind permission of Linda Bacon) these go back a few years.

A few more.

Brilliant pics there mate, they bring back a lot of old memorys for me .I remember an old truck parked at the side of the garage, The cab i think was an ex army ford or commer karrier bantam type , it could have been a breakdown truck. I think the pic of the dodge 6 wheeler is behind the filling station just past the fire station on rochdale rd .Many thanks to Linda for allowing you to show the photos. PS does anybody remember Stotts Motors from salford.on bury new rd Foden 46

Great pictures as usual John but has anyone else noticed the handbrake on the Comet 90 CEK with the driver and fitter stood in front of it…It’s easy to spot…It’s under the nearside rear wheels!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Do you mean this one foden46.

Spotted that ovlov,one of Jimmys specials :laughing: :laughing:

A few more for you

Stanfield:
Do you mean this one foden46 Hello John I can remember that bedford breakdown truck but the one i was asking about had a cab similar to a commer TS3 . Im sure it was an ex militery truck with a ford badge on the front . It might have been just a chassis cab but it was parked at the side of the garage for donkeys years rotting away . Did ford ever use a cab like the one described ? Regards Foden46

Great photo’s John and many thanks to Jim and Linda for sharing them with everybody :smiley: .
I never realised that Middleton Old Road looked so steep when I was a kid :slight_smile: .

Hiya Foden 46, was it not a Thames :confused:

Regards Steve.

mushroomman:
Great photo’s John and many thanks to Jim and Linda for sharing them with everybody :smiley: .
I never realised that Middleton Old Road looked so steep when I was a kid :slight_smile: .

Hiya Foden 46, was it not a Thames :confused:

Regards Steve.

I think your right Steve, somebody must have a pic of that particular model Fodn46

Just found out it was a fordson thames E4 commer cab ex army Regards foden46

Yes great photo’s John and Steve.
And thanks to the Bacon family for sharing. Mike.

great pics john thanks for taking the time for sharing

Hi John, it might be a good idea if Jim and Linda put all those photos in the Manchester Archives so that they will never be lost as they are a part of Manchester’s transport history.
I bet that over the years one or two of Jimmy Bacon’s drivers had a pint in The Red Lion just around the corner from the yard.

Regards Steve.

Contractors (Stockport) Ltd part of the Edward Becks company I believe.Taken during the redevelopment of the M&S store in manchester somtime in 1958 (manchester archives).