Seawheel

Some details:

Lovell Line Ltd
Western House
Hadleigh Road
Ipswich Suffolk IP2 0HB
Director Jarman

Seawheel is jointly owned by IFF (International Ferry freight) and Seawheel.

Services from and to UK-Netherlands with three lease ships:

Barbara-Britt 124TEU
Barbara-Chris 144TEU
Orion 150TEU

Ships owned by Schirren (Barbara-Britt and Barbara-Christ) and Horstmann (Orion)

Sales of Seawheel was the responsibility of M.J. McGrath then (1985) and Ken B
was probably in the air-conditioned sandfields by then :slight_smile:

Same vessel (“Barbara-Chris”) but now for IFF and also as Seawheel under the United-umbrella.

Roadtransport-company W. Bos from Naaldwijk was also many years part of United and even carried
the name “UNIBOSS” a long time.

IMG_3236.JPG

Is there any shots or info of Tommy Benson at Sea Wheel whom I assume is now long gone, I went to school with his Son when they lived in Kendal but I can’t recall his name other than he was always called “Benno” Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
Is there any shots or info of Tommy Benson at Sea Wheel whom I assume is now long gone, I went to school with his Son when they lived in Kendal but I can’t recall his name other than he was always called “Benno” Cheers Bewick.

Interesting items listed
Seawheel or should I say the whole Lovells Group was being sold to IFF in 1976as I was leaving for Saudi - Their was a lot of bitterness between the 2 company MDs and I remember Mike McGrath well - he was the Marketing Director Seawheel - knew nothing about transport or shipping!
Tommy Benson - so I have no pictures etc - he was a great character and was well respected.

Cheers

Ken

Atkins pulling a Seawheel container.

atkins tpt c.PNG

My first foray into haulage was because of Seawheel. The haulage company near my dads pub were pulling for them out of Hull docks. They came past the pub and I could see them from my perch in a bay window. I remember the first boxes had a cart wheel painted alongside the Seawheel Logo. They carried the 226 (20’) 326 (30’) and 426 (40’) numbering system on the sea containers, Lancashire flats and ISO Drum Carriers.

Local ■■■■■■■ David Bone worked for IFF and left to run Seawheel operations. When IFF took over Seawheel, they got their Bonio back :slight_smile:

A2C55ED8-C2CD-493C-891A-213D63D5977C.jpeg

Back in the early 70s I pulled for Seawheel out of Ipswich and Parkstone Quay. All started by chance looking for a "backload" for Brum area loaded for Worcester which was close enough,with instruction when tipped give us a ring,This went on for a few loads eventually it became tip and load. Created a bit of jealousy at base as all it said against my name on the board was return Ipswich / Harwich. I was only calling in on passing for fuel and money.From Coventry that was classed as "cream" run. Asked the TM at the time if the work was paying its way answer was you keep going,so I did for awhile longer until the "big noise" said containers dont pay despite everybody else saying it was as good as a load of tractors or case cars.