FERRYWHEEL - Dublin

Mr 141:
I really need some help on this one. Can anyone help with info on this company from dublin?
They were about in the 1970’s started in blue and white colours then yellow and black, with Ferrywheel, Dublin - London - Jeddah, on the side.
Mostly fridge trailers with Scania 110’s, 111’s, 140’s and i think a 141 or two!

Pictures and info required although you may need to dig deep!!!

Hi, first post here,

My Dad worked for Ferrywheel, he was the transport manager and was based at the yard around the back of Speke Airport, the business was originally Millward Transport and was owned by Bill Taylor who inherited the business from his father.

As far as I can remember Ferrywheel bought the company (Brinsley Hudson) and inherited some of the rolling stock, not all were repainted hence a blue one knocking about. They ran 3 110’s and one 111 (blue) in the UK and had 3 DAF 3300’s and a Mack in Saudi, all the trailers were refrigerated, Core business was hanging beef, pork or mushrooms from Ireland.

My Dad worked in Saudi for Ferryweel for a while, and was as you can expect a tough gig. The business relocated to the old Fishwicks site on Baxters Lane St Helens in the late 70’s early 80’s, the new site had a sizeable warehouse, the company moved onto Volvo’s at this time and the first was an F10, followed by 3 or four f7’s, the latter being christened the bubble by Irish Drivers, they were gutless and underpowered for the job, even with the new gas twenty footer mushroom fridges, they struggled.

My Dad (Alan Taylor) left the company in the early 80’s and set up on his own with a 141.

Hope this helps

Kamikazi

Hi I Remember Ferrywheel in St Helens in the 70s guy i knew worked for them on nights St Helens to Holyhead and back.Always said they wasnt a very good firm,he got killed at Llandudno on his way back from Holyhead,i heard his wife never got a bean.Cheers Ted.

toxic gas man:
Hi I Remember Ferrywheel in St Helens in the 70s guy i knew worked for them on nights St Helens to Holyhead and back.Always said they wasnt a very good firm,he got killed at Llandudno on his way back from Holyhead,i heard his wife never got a bean.Cheers Ted.

Hi Ted, I remember the accident, what a shame.

K

www.spatz.co.uk

Wheel Nut:

spatz.co.uk

Bottom photo looks like Jeddah…

Endit:

Wheel Nut:

spatz.co.uk

Bottom photo looks like Jeddah…

I remember the DAFS being trailered back to Speke from Jeddah, the fitters at the yard (George Wood and Steve Houston) were charged with fixing them up, they were knackered - cracked blocks, heads and axles not to mention a tad dusty. dont think they ended up back on the road.

The guy with the F7 is John Mckenna.

K

I really need some help on this one. Can anyone help with info on this company from dublin?
They were about in the 1970’s started in blue and white colours then yellow and black, with Ferrywheel, Dublin - London - Jeddah, on the side.
Mostly fridge trailers with Scania 110’s, 111’s, 140’s and i think a 141 or two!

i worked for them as a driver for a subbie haulier,then bought my own truck and worked for them.
all we ever saw was kildare to prescot market in liverpool with mushrooms.
i took bacon from rooskey,near longford to london.
i never saw them going to jeddah,they may have in the ealier days before i was with them.
the transport manager was brinsley hudson.
i cant remember any other names.
i dont know why they finished as they had plenty of work.

MY DAD WORKED FOR THEM FOR YEARS SOME OF THE NUMBER PLATES STAY WITH ME JTJ WAS A 111 IN LIGHT BLUE,NDB AND PKD WERE 110`s THEY WERE IN THE YELLOW AND BLACK.HE ALSO HAS PHOTOS I WILL TRY TO DIG THEM OUT AND GET THEM PUT ON.THEY USE TO WORK OUT OF SPEKE DOING REGULAR NIGHT RUNS TO HOLYHEAD.

.I know we`re really clutching at straws here,between the IPEC Daf,and Halal 141,one of Ferrywheels 20 ft trailers.I think they metamorphised into Greenline in a later life.

JUST SPOKE TO MY DAD HE WILL DIG OUT THE OLD PHOTOS OF FERRYWHEEL.SOME ARE IN BLACK AND WHITE IN THE OLD YARD IN SPEKE.HE ALSO HAS ONE OF THE 20ft TRAILER WHEN IT WAS NEW. :smiley:

Mr 141:

I HAVE PICTURES IN BLACK AND WHITE AND COLOUR BUT CANT SEEM TO GET THEM ON THE SITE ANY IDEA HOW TO DO IT

HI THERES A FEW PICS ON IRISHRIGS.COM OF FERRYWHEEL