Seat belts.

Spardo:

P Stoff:

Spardo:
Never, effectively, wear one. Hate them with a passion. I have a clip which keeps it slack and keeps the nosey prosecuters away. I know the dangers, and their effectiveness, but I am an adult, my life, my risk, my choice.

Oh, and btw, why aren’t mountain climbing, free falling, caving, motor bike riding against the law? Because they shouldn’t be, same as non seatbelt wearing.

Heroes one and all. No thought for emergency services, NHS, public services and your family friends. I salute you

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

I take your point, and your sarcasm, so I will reply in kind. We should therefore ban everything that could land us in A&E or the cemetary. Including my wife’s continued smoking habit despite a diagnosis of enphysema and 3 mini-strokes. :unamused:

You can argue all you like. Vehicles are fitted with a safety device, required by law, aimed at the welfare of the driver and passenger. You choose not to use such a device. Perfect common sense. It’s slightly different from smoking and extreme sports. However I would guess were you to ride a mountain bike down a mountain you wouldn’t wear a helmet either in case it chaffed on the bolts in your neck.

P Stoff:
You can argue all you like. Vehicles are fitted with a safety device, required by law, aimed at the welfare of the driver and passenger. You choose not to use such a device. Perfect common sense. It’s slightly different from smoking and extreme sports. However I would guess were you to ride a mountain bike down a mountain you wouldn’t wear a helmet either in case it chaffed on the bolts in your neck.

You would guess wrong on several points, it is not different from other life risking pursuits, it is life risking, full stop.
And, although mountain biking has never been on my agenda, I think the lack of control would persuade me to wear a hat.

The main point of seat belts, and their value, is to save from harm people who are in a vehicle which suddenly comes to a dramatic stop. It could be argued, and it certainly applies to me, that people who risk such a stop drive more carefully in order to avoid one. The old joke about a spike in the middle of the steering wheel, while just a joke, does indeed have some relevance.

A quick example. Years ago before seat belts were compulsory, I was driving my family in our Ford Zephyr in icy conditions. No seat belts in that vehicle, my wife sat in the front passenger seat with the baby on her lap. Three other children in the back. In the distance ahead I saw a Mini totally out of control and approaching at high speed. Despite the ice I was able to stop, but because of it, was unable to accelerate out of the way and the other car hit us head on with great force. Both were written off. We were all shaken but, having no forward motion, uninjured. The driver of the other car was saved by his seat belt, but miraculously survived being decapitated by the Mini’s bonnet slicing through his windscreen as his head was thrown forward and down.

I am not using that as a reason not to wear belts, I am merely saying that it is my choice to take the small risk that my driving will bring me to a sudden stop. So far, in 55 years, such an occasion hasn’t happened. Decent odds I would have thought, and if I’m wrong, I wouldn’t, if I could, complain. :smiley:

Spardo:

P Stoff:

You would guess wrong on several points, it is not different from other life risking pursuits, it is life risking, full stop.
And, although mountain biking has never been on my agenda, I think the lack of control would persuade me to wear a hat.

The main point of seat belts, and their value, is to save from harm people who are in a vehicle which suddenly comes to a dramatic stop. It could be argued, and it certainly applies to me, that people who risk such a stop drive more carefully in order to avoid one. The old joke about a spike in the middle of the steering wheel, while just a joke, does indeed have some relevance.

A quick example. Years ago before seat belts were compulsory, I was driving my family in our Ford Zephyr in icy conditions. No seat belts in that vehicle, my wife sat in the front passenger seat with the baby on her lap. Three other children in the back. In the distance ahead I saw a Mini totally out of control and approaching at high speed. Despite the ice I was able to stop, but because of it, was unable to accelerate out of the way and the other car hit us head on with great force. Both were written off. We were all shaken but, having no forward motion, uninjured. The driver of the other car was saved by his seat belt, but miraculously survived being decapitated by the Mini’s bonnet slicing through his windscreen as his head was thrown forward and down.

I am not using that as a reason not to wear belts, I am merely saying that it is my choice to take the small risk that my driving will bring me to a sudden stop. So far, in 55 years, such an occasion hasn’t happened. Decent odds I would have thought, and if I’m wrong, I wouldn’t, if I could, complain. :smiley:

So because you’re 55 and lived this long it’s never going to happen and you’re beyond the law. Didn’t realise that’s how it works. Never done a bank job but now I’m 56 I think I will.

P Stoff:
So because you’re 55 and lived this long it’s never going to happen and you’re beyond the law. Didn’t realise that’s how it works. Never done a bank job but now I’m 56 I think I will.

Sorry mate, I didn’t realise you had a reading difficulty, I passed my test when you were 1 year old, think you need a bit more time yet before you get decent odds on that bank job. :laughing:

Spardo:

P Stoff:

Sorry mate, I didn’t realise you had a reading difficulty, I passed my test when you were 1 year old, think you need a bit more time yet before you get decent odds on that bank job. [emoji38]

Don’t understand any of that so I must have a reading problem. Clunk click old bean

Spardo:

P Stoff:

Sorry mate, I didn’t realise you had a reading difficulty, I passed my test when you were 1 year old, think you need a bit more time yet before you get decent odds on that bank job. :laughing:

It’s 2018 now not 1962 :wink:
Cars travel much much faster and trucks are much heavier, Granddad or should I say dinosaur

blue estate:

Spardo:

P Stoff:

It’s 2018 now not 1962 :wink:
Cars travel much much faster and trucks are much heavier, Granddad or should I say dinosaur

I’m not sure weight or speed of vehicles have any influence over my decision to wear a seatbelt. The amount of morons who can’t drive in a straight line on a straight road, does.

Captain Caveman 76:
I’m not sure weight or speed of vehicles have any influence over my decision to wear a seatbelt. The amount of morons who can’t drive in a straight line on a straight road, does.

This is true CC, but as I said, it isn’t the way the others drive that is the problem. It is the way you drive, within the limits of vision and employing defensive driving techniques, which all professionals should, that are the things, when not followed, which cause seatbelts to be life savers.

Even the most advanced seatbelt in the world, such as racers wear, is not going to save the driver of a stationary vehicle when hit head on by a moron on the wrong side of the road from having, at the very least, his legs crushed.

I am not advocating the non wearing of seatbelts, and I am breaking no laws. I wear a belt, it just doesn’t happen to be tight across my chest, less effective yes, but my choice. Not cause for insult I would have thought, not you CC, but others.

Possibly Mr Wagstaff (M1 minibus tragedy) wouldn’t be in the greybars hotel counting down the days with a pencil on the wall if he hadn’t been wearing a belt.

Socketset:
Possibly Mr Wagstaff (M1 minibus tragedy) wouldn’t be in the greybars hotel counting down the days with a pencil on the wall if he hadn’t been wearing a belt.

Almost certainly, personally not so sure that I would prefer to spend my declining years like that though. But he’s younger so possibly thankful he was.

Well said Roymondo…i did hear it from a mate of a mate at an RDC…so imagined it was fact. :smiley: :smiley: