Seat belts.

TheUncaringCowboy:
Or…

I don’t injure myself and I don’t live my life worrying about what a third party insurer thinks of me or what they will do in an event that has miniscule odds of happening.

Lorry driving fifth most dangerous job in the UK. Almost daily reports of trucks being in serious accidents. You can’t tell me you’ve never had a near miss.

You know those pictures you see of cabs which were wiped out where the drivers walked away? They were wearing seatbelts.

TheUncaringCowboy:

yourhavingalarf:

TheUncaringCowboy:
I have a seat belt plug thing cut from an old one, it stops the beeper beeping and no seat belt digging in anywhere, win win.

Or…

Lose lose when the insurance company/your company/third party insurer refuse to pay you any compensation for injuries sustained whilst not wearing a seat belt.

Or…

I don’t injure myself and I don’t live my life worrying about what a third party insurer thinks of me or what they will do in an event that has miniscule odds of happening.

No one goes to work in the morning thinking it’s my turn today. It’s always someone else it happens to.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Conor:

TheUncaringCowboy:
Or…

Lorry driving fifth most dangerous job in the UK. Almost daily reports of trucks being in serious accidents. You can’t tell me you’ve never had a near miss.

You know those pictures you see of cabs which were wiped out where the drivers walked away? They were wearing seatbelts.

Never had a near miss in which wearing a seat belt would make any sort of difference.

Good for them. I’ll continue to not have accidents and not wear my seat belt.

TheUncaringCowboy:
Never had a near miss in which wearing a seat belt would make any sort of difference.

Near misses could easily turn into an accident. Wagon goes on its side and instead of the seatbelt holding you in you end up flying across the cab and getting smacked by everything in it on the way. Sudden stop when you hit something at any speed and at best you’re putting a bullet hole in the windscreen with your head, at worst you’re going through it. You try to make a claim for personal injury, you get told to sod off because no seatbelt so not only no income but no compensation because neither the third party insurance, the truck’s insurer or your employers employee liability insurer will pay out for an injury claim when you don’t wear a seatbelt.

yourhavingalarf:

corij:
iv a “fake seatbelt” a short triangle of rigid black plastic that sits onto seat top giving the appearance to anyone looking from outside at a glance that im actually wearing a seatbelt

keep thinking i should sell them online !

Just…

WOW!

I’m almost speechless at such a galactically sized dumbassed idea.

i DO mostly wear a seat belt. but im forgetful [who isnt? ] and my mock-up imitator seat belt that doesnt get in the way of the real belt system should stop me from getting a ticket

thats my logic behind it . i think id sell em at a tenner a pop post included does that sound too cheap

I wonder if it’s a generational thing. Was it '84 when seatbelts became law? Us young uns have grown up where wearing them is normal, you old fogies have probably spent more time not wearing them than wearing them.

Question for you old timers, I seem to remember scare stories of people burning to death whilst strapped in were common after they became law. Is that a false memory of mine or am I remembering correct?

It’s all there on Youtube - truckers flung through windscreens like rag dolls.

I’ll admit I got caught without one but I was doing city centre multidrop at the time eg walking speed or sat at the lights for an eternity.

Outside of that always wear one.

Speed camera vans in city centres are to catch the phone users, sandwich munchers and obvs seat belt infractions.

Not to mention ANPR stuff.

I learned to drive in 79 and we didn’t have to wear them. It’s common sense surely.

Conor:

TheUncaringCowboy:

Near misses could easily turn into an accident. Wagon goes on its side and instead of the seatbelt holding you in you end up flying across the cab and getting smacked by everything in it on the way. Sudden stop when you hit something at any speed and at best you’re putting a bullet hole in the windscreen with your head, at worst you’re going through it. You try to make a claim for personal injury, you get told to sod off because no seatbelt so not only no income but no compensation because neither the third party insurance, the truck’s insurer or your employers employee liability insurer will pay out for an injury claim when you don’t wear a seatbelt.

I can attest to the flying across the cab scenario, coming out of a farm on track that disintegrated under my wheels, toppling the artic over. Didn’t have my belt on (moron!!), ended up breaking the passenger window with my fat arse. A bit bruised and battered, but I got off lightly. Won’t make that mistake again

Captain Caveman 76:
I wonder if it’s a generational thing. Was it '84 when seatbelts became law? Us young uns have grown up where wearing them is normal, you old fogies have probably spent more time not wearing them than wearing them.

Question for you old timers, I seem to remember scare stories of people burning to death whilst strapped in were common after they became law. Is that a false memory of mine or am I remembering correct?

Stories of burning to death because of seat belts were around. The same as stories of grannies who smoke a hundred ciggies a day without effect, and remember the guys who survived parachute failures?
Exceptional stories are often repeated. That clearly doesn’t make the events more common. People being thrown clear from car crashes are shown on YouTube. Those videos of the crushed, beheaded and maimed are banned. (Bad taste? Censorship?) A bit of bias in the reporting there!
A story of someone killed not wearing a seat belt is not news. Dog Bites Man. For the Man Bites Dog headlines we need the exception of the person who survives.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news … ry-1473739

Not wearing a seatbelt.

Driving around on the dock or in our yard without a seatbelt on fines OK. Driving at 52 on the motorway without one is terrifying to me. I have always been told since I was little that seatbelts are necessary and I always had to wear one.

I drive pretty much a different truck each shift and it ■■■■■■ me off no end when I have to unwrap it from behind the seat because the regular driver has plugged it in like that to avoid the warning chime sounding off, a few of them have the false plug-in part so if that’s been left in that just gets removed and left in the cup holder for them.

I will not compromise my safety and clean licence just because they choose too.

when I ain’t got it on I think some think is missing

Reef:
I drive pretty much a different truck each shift and it ■■■■■■ me off no end when I have to unwrap it from behind the seat because the regular driver has plugged it in like that to avoid the warning chime sounding off, a few of them have the false plug-in part so if that’s been left in that just gets removed and left in the cup holder for them.

I will not compromise my safety and clean licence just because they choose too.

Annoys me too! Plus doing this knackers the belt :unamused:

Never, effectively, wear one. Hate them with a passion. I have a clip which keeps it slack and keeps the nosey prosecuters away. I know the dangers, and their effectiveness, but I am an adult, my life, my risk, my choice.

Oh, and btw, why aren’t mountain climbing, free falling, caving, motor bike riding against the law? Because they shouldn’t be, same as non seatbelt wearing.

Spardo:
Never, effectively, wear one. Hate them with a passion. I have a clip which keeps it slack and keeps the nosey prosecuters away. I know the dangers, and their effectiveness, but I am an adult, my life, my risk, my choice.

Oh, and btw, why aren’t mountain climbing, free falling, caving, motor bike riding against the law? Because they shouldn’t be, same as non seatbelt wearing.

Heroes one and all. No thought for emergency services, NHS, public services and your family friends. I salute you

Spardo:

Totally agree with you on this.
I do the same with a clip and a bit of rubber to stop it slipping.
I’m sure it makes the belt less affective, but, its better than not wearing one surely.

Spardo:

Those activities are not illegal, but do have rules and laws associated with them, just the same.
Motorcyclists must wear helmets. Free-fall civilian parachutists must be under canopy below 2,000ft.

P Stoff:

Spardo:

Heroes one and all. No thought for emergency services, NHS, public services and your family friends. I salute you

I take your point, and your sarcasm, so I will reply in kind. We should therefore ban everything that could land us in A&E or the cemetary. Including my wife’s continued smoking habit despite a diagnosis of enphysema and 3 mini-strokes. :unamused: