Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

This ones seen better days!

F56F9290-259B-4BE3-9405-7C36F86AFD11.jpeg

gingerfold:
Two more from Turners, a 1961 Austin and 1966 Bedford

Turners were running those type of Austins as tractor units out of Norwich depot on Manchester trunk,and also Morris FFK?? units.Manchester depot were using “S” Type Bedfords in 1960-62,and they were made to trot on a bit,especially through Clumber Forest on the A616. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

cav551:
I’m trying to work out what this one is. The twin steer front end looks like Scammell rigid 8 but the rear bogie isn’t, looking more like a Kirkstall set up. As for the cab? vaguely Atkinson?

download/file.php?id=237777&t=1

Probably way off the mark but Bristol is whizzing through my mind…

Hello again…a few more old 'uns :smiley: ,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Dipster:

cav551:
I’m trying to work out what this one is. The twin steer front end looks like Scammell rigid 8 but the rear bogie isn’t, looking more like a Kirkstall set up. As for the cab? vaguely Atkinson?

download/file.php?id=237777&t=1

Probably way off the mark but Bristol is whizzing through my mind…

It’s a Scammell Rigid 8

Heres another one of Western BRS.

A00212.JPG

Twc 227r brs Transcon ended up at r and b Caerphilly driven by Ralph the neck that machine would fly Ralph hell of a grafter good bloke

Stockport reg. Ford A series artic photographed at The Hollies.

Turners AEC Marshal ECE 34D

gingerfold:

That’s a nice Marshal Graham,those 6-leggers always looked well,both the Park Royal and tilt cabbed models.

I got a Marshal brand new at Fred Chappells in the early 60’s, Hendrickson rear suspension. It was as good a motor as I ever had all through my driving career, A great machine.

Chris Webb:

gingerfold:

That’s a nice Marshal Graham,those 6-leggers always looked well,both the Park Royal and tilt cabbed models.

Here’s one of the Austin artics for you Chris

Turners Marshal EJE 155D in showland service in 1987, pictured near Fakenham. It still had its original body, modified slightly! :exclamation:

gingerfold:

Chris Webb:

gingerfold:

Thanks Graham. They ran the older type Austin/Morris units before those,were they FFK models,I can’t remember. Later in 1962 they got LAD Dodges at Norwich. The first one was given to Billy Feet on trunk.I never found out if Feet was his surname or summat to do with his feet,he was a big feller,had many a lift with him.

Chris Webb:

gingerfold:

Chris Webb:

gingerfold:

Thanks Graham. They ran the older type Austin/Morris units before those,were they FFK models,I can’t remember. Later in 1962 they got LAD Dodges at Norwich. The first one was given to Billy Feet on trunk.I never found out if Feet was his surname or summat to do with his feet,he was a big feller,had many a lift with him.

That Austin photo was taken at Fordham depot, so probably it was based there. I knew several of the Norwich depot drivers, all long service men, and Nipper the foreman, plus Pat and Dennis in the office. All now retired or worse.

I got a lift one sunday night from Sheffield to Grantham with a Turners Manchester driver then another to Kings Lynn. About 1000 hrs on the Monday morning the day man was tipping the same trailer at AMWD site at RAF Feltwell Norfolk where I was based.If the night men were running too early they tried to coast into the depot at Norwich so they didn’t wake the foreman,so I was told. :smiley:

This was / is an official AEC photograph, one of a series, taken in 1966 for a feature about Turners that was published in the AEC Gazette, AEC’s own house journal. In 1966 Turners were running some 260 vehicles, today they run 1,800. This location was outside The Club Hotel in Ely market place, now unrecognisable and re-developed.

Loading at Howard Long International Methwold in August 1996. The Leyland Daf was the only one of its kind in the fleet, and its regular driver thought that it was a very good truck.

A couple of photos taken by my old pal Gordon Howarth of his Talbot Transport Austin 6-legger in Firth Browns Sheffield works,loaded with a casting.Talbot Transport was later taken over by Robert Earl Ltd,Sheffield.

talbot7.jpg

talbot6.jpg

A few more Turner’s from 1996.