Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

bubbleman:
Hello again and a Happy new year to everyone…heres the next few oldies…is that a young Harry Gill by the side of Siddles G88 thinking"if I hang it out chaining this lot down I can get down the A1 a bit and have a “dodgy night out” and get a lift home in one of those shiney Scania81s of Bewicks!!" :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Hiya,
I drove the Cookies f88 when at the end of it’s life, I’m afraid it wasn’t
very reliable when I got my hands on it and it was liveried in Tayforth
colours it broke down just about every trip, there was about four left
when I worked there two day cabs and two sleepers I drove them all
in their death throes a couple were destined as shunters at Consett
steelworks they certainly would have owed the company nothing.
thanks harry, long retired.

Bewick:
The shot of Robsons Border Prince clearly shows the sheets and ropes tied on at the back of the flat which I believe was a standing instruction for their drivers once they were tipped. Cheers Dennis.

I was taught to do that when I started in the game … you could be loading up from up front while getting the sheets untied then throw them up on top of the load ready to sheet up

Hello again,heres todays offering,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

bubbleman:
Hello again,heres todays offering,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Nice photos Bubbs,thanks.

The John Foreman F86 would have worked out of BP Chemicals at Saltend Hull.
Their other depot was the Woodside Café on the A614 at Rawcliffe Bridge. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Nice pics Bubbs ! That bottom pic of Starr’s F88 with the crane on. Would that have been legal,weight
wise with the 4 in line trailer ■■ I dont know what the gross weight was for one of those trailers ■■

Hello again,heres another bunch of oldies…a reminder that these pics weren’t taken by myself and the watermark across the picture is there so I don’t offend the original photographer,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

img308.jpg
A fine looking motor, unusual for the fact it looks new something London brick n BRS motors never seem to.
Anyway does anyone know who made devised their brick crane? I ask cos just the once I started unloading at the same time as a London brick lorry, we both had 16 packs on n he left me for dead, I’d got 3 packs left by the time he was done. I had mid mount Hiab with forks, thought I was quick but he put me in my place good n proper. Only ever recall seeing them on L B lorries was there a patent thing going on or was I driving with my eyes shut yet again

Hi again,a few more old 'uns…Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

coomsey:
A fine looking motor, unusual for the fact it looks new something London brick n BRS motors never seem to.
Anyway does anyone know who made devised their brick crane? I ask cos just the once I started unloading at the same time as a London brick lorry, we both had 16 packs on n he left me for dead, I’d got 3 packs left by the time he was done. I had mid mount Hiab with forks, thought I was quick but he put me in my place good n proper. Only ever recall seeing them on L B lorries was there a patent thing going on or was I driving with my eyes shut yet again

The brick crane was their own design and manufacture IIRC.

Drakards had 3 PJO registered trucks all bought new

gingerfold:

coomsey:

The brick crane was their own design and manufacture IIRC.

Thought so Gingerfold. Don’t know about the reliability of them but the chap that designed it seems to have got it right. I wonder why they’re not being marketed nowadays? Cheers Paul

well, Folks , D and N MORGAN , a blast from the past one of the finest firms we ever carried for ,Good work fair rates , prompt payments done lots of work for them out of south wales , Good old Days ,Cheers Barry

Useless things those LB cranes , they could only put the packs down beside the lorry and they weren’t allowed to go off road . If we had the misfortune to tip on the same site we couldn’t get past them and a lot of their drivers thought they were God’s gift , awkward sods .

rigsby:
Useless things those LB cranes , they could only put the packs down beside the lorry and they weren’t allowed to go off road . If we had the misfortune to tip on the same site we couldn’t get past them and a lot of their drivers thought they were God’s gift , awkward sods .

Weren’t they known as “Selfstak” or summat? :question:
I remember the LBC trains into London were known as “Fletliner” after Fletton’s bricks.

Hi again,heres a few more old girls,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

68 Courtaulds, Coventry.jpg

Chris Webb:

rigsby:

Weren’t they known as “Selfstak” or summat? :question:
I remember the LBC trains into London were known as “Fletliner” after Fletton’s bricks.

I’d go for a plus on the along side the lorry n on site thing Dave.8 x 4 lorry n Hiab used to look like 8 x 8 n tower crane at a lot of places I went

Heres another one of Framptons DAF 2800 leaving Poole docks !

Great pics Bubbs. :wink:

A02955.JPG

Hi again,Great shot Dean…thanks for that,heres a few more oldies,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Hiya,
Bubbs you’re doing a fine job, at least my reference library won’t get
obliterated this time all your hard work gone without a trace, you do
have the patience of Job, thanks mate.

harry_gill:
Hiya,
Bubbs you’re doing a fine job, at least my reference library won’t get
obliterated this time all your hard work gone without a trace, you do
have the patience of Job, thanks mate.

I thoroughly endorse Harry’s words. I’m not a religious man but we were all brought up on Biblical references, and Harry mentions the patience of Job: the words of Job chapter 21 verse 1 pops into my mind. It includes the line, ‘The Lord gave and the Lord hath taken away.’ Well, Bubbs is making damned sure that He giveth it back again! And be sure that we will help him. I raise a glass to Marcus! Robert