Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

I fully endorse and “resemble” :sunglasses: the last two posts of “H” and ERF European ! :wink: Marcus has one of the finest threads on TNUK glad to see it is back and going strong after it was “wiped” along with many other great shots that others posted most of which we will never see again. Keep 'em coming Marcus great ! All the Best Dennis.

I wish to associate myself with the sentiments of my three colleagues above.

Hello again,thanks lads for the kind comments…I hope to continue putting up these old pictures (I found a few more yesterday) so heres a good old Maudsley for Harry from Miller and Gordon with a Middlesborough address on the door,then a Seddon of Croppers for Dennis…Robert and ROF at the minute I cant put up your favorites so I hope you’ll be happy to just browse these old 'uns,What do you lot think of the Borderer with the “make do” windscreen? :smiley: …Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Great wuss , put his at and cat on and crack on he could have been home by the time he’d stuck all that plastic on . lol . Dave

Hope I’m not too late to add my thanks for this thread, it brings memories of happy days flooding back.

That little BRS Karrier mini artic is bonny. When I first started as a van lad at Harrison of Dewsbury the first day was on a little Karrier. :slight_smile:

Looking at the James Cropper Seddon I am 99:99 % sure that this is the first artic they put into service in '65 and judging by the Vauxhall car in the background the Seddon will be a few years old at the time of the shot. It was driven when new by Gilbert Wilkinson a long serving Cropper man and unfortunately the unit didn’t have power steering and Gilbert got it up against the warehouse wall at the Mill and couldn’t get it pulled off ! The second unit ( and subsequent ones) they got had power steering !! The Seddon units that Croppers put into service all had the Leyland 600 engines, DB boxes IIRC and Moss axles. They switched over to artics from Seddon 6 wheeler platforms. The six wheelers used the Leyland 400 engines with the final one delivered in around '63/64 having the 600 engine. This last 6 wheeler was driven by a good old Pal of mine Frank Forrest who didn’t want to drive an artic and they kept this ridged in service until Frank retired in the early '70’s. Croppers got their first 32/4 in mid '68 with the RR engine and this was driven by another old Pal Colin Veevers. Cheers Dennis.

bubbleman:
Hello again,thanks lads for the kind comments…I hope to continue putting up these old pictures (I found a few more yesterday) so heres a good old Maudsley for Harry from Miller and Gordon with a Middlesborough address on the door,then a Seddon of Croppers for Dennis…Robert and ROF at the minute I cant put up your favorites so I hope you’ll be happy to just browse these old 'uns,What do you lot think of the Borderer with the “make do” windscreen? :smiley: …Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

From experience the Atki would probably not had any more draughts with that windscreen than a factory one! :unamused:
BTW, Marcus, I can make do with AECs & Big Js of any description! :wink:

Retired Old ■■■■:

bubbleman:

From experience the Atki would probably not had any more draughts with that windscreen than a factory one! :unamused:

Hiya,
Say what you really mean ROF you would love to see a Big J with the Percy’s
two pots sticking out the back of the “shed” and not the odd conversion we
have all seen, you’ll have a long wait mate it’s still on the assembly line :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
thanks harry, long retired.

harry_gill:

Retired Old ■■■■:

bubbleman:

Hiya,
have all seen, you’ll have a long wait mate it’s still on the assembly line :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That’s my Boy “H” they do not like the truth ! Oh! Norman posted the other night, are you in touch with him ? Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

harry_gill:
Hiya,

That’s my Boy “H” they do not like the truth !

:smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Just to put the record straight, I’ve never said that I actually WANTED a 240 Percy in a Big J. I’d much rather have preferred a ■■■■■■■■ particularly if I could have had a sleeper cab! By the time I discovered Swedish lorries I had spent far too much time in Atki’s and ERFs with 240s fitted ever to want to drive another!
All this business of the “Two pots out the back” came about because, in the interest of justice, I was hoping to elicit an admission from the ■■■■■■■■ Sheeter with regard to his (alleged) dodgy dealings in the matter of Big Js, 240 Gardners, 205 ■■■■■■■ and those nice Smith blokes from Madiston.
Not to mention the huge barn in t’fells where there is (allegedly) still a stock of little-used engines which our hero failed to sell to Hoo Flung Dung, the Hong Kong junk operator.
And STILL he managed to squirrel away a multi million pound pension fund.
All this purely in the interest of justice, of course. Not that I’m at all bitter even with my basic state pension! :unamused: :wink: :wink:

Of course, you will have been too far south for any of this to have affected you, Marcus. I just hpe you’ll forgive me for infecting your superb thread with my whinging and moaning. It’s all I’ve got left! :laughing:

Hiya again,Righto…heres another bunch of oldies first a 5MW for Robert and a couple of Big Js for ROF…plus a few more for good luck :smiley: ,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Now then Marcus I’m not about to criticize that fine shot of the Foden steer ! Nowt wrong with the sheeting and roping on that motor, unlike some of the deplorable efforts depicted on other shots that appear on your fine thread ! Just out of interest I wonder which engine the Foden had as judging by the reg no. it is before the 8LXB was launched. So the plot thickens ! 180LXB, Leyland 680 or the dreaded Stroker :blush: I doubt whether it would have had a ■■■■■■■ engine though. Now as for the load well it sure as 'ell aint lead as I recall we did a few loads in 1970 of lead ballast bricks into the Shipyard at Barrow for one of the Subs and our Mastiff and tandem 4 trailer just had a single layer over the platform for 18 ton and our KE (TK) Bedford was similarly loaded with a single layer on the flat for 7 or 8 ton. Cheers Dennis.

Not a stroker, wrong grille, so Gardner or Leyland 680 I reckon.

Pete.

bubbleman:
Hiya again,Righto…heres another bunch of oldies first a 5MW for Robert and a couple of Big Js for ROF…plus a few more for good luck :smiley: ,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Great shot of the K&M Hauliers Seddon my Dad worked for them in the mid sixties when they were based at Piccadilly in Bulwell Nottingham before moving to the Hucknall Aerodrome
I’d also like to give my thanks and appreciation for your hard work in posting these pictures on your thread
Cheers Gary

windrush:

Pete.

Well not being a Foden aficionado like what you are Pete :wink: I am not familiar with the various Foden cab types and which engine will be under what cab ! So we’ve narrowed it down to either the 180 or the 680 ? The plot thickens :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Hello again,Yes the twin steer Foden did have a nicely sheeted load and I knew Dennis would have seen that as a quality bit of work,unfortunatly I’ve no idea of the engine fitted but Windrush has put his expert eye on the motor :smiley: .I’m pleased that Gary has spotted the Seddon from his Dads days on the road.Ok a few more…again some of them not great quality.Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Bewick:

windrush:

Pete.

Well not being a Foden aficionado like what you are Pete :wink: I am not familiar with the various Foden cab types and which engine will be under what cab ! So we’ve narrowed it down to either the 180 or the 680 ? The plot thickens :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

I could well be incorrect there Dennis. :blush: Looking at the reg number and an S36 cab I think by that time the grilles were all the same! Earlier 'stroker models with the S34 cab had two smaller covered vents, presumably for extra cooling, but by the 1970’s they appear to have been omitted so back to square one again. :laughing: However it should be a lower engine cover with the two stroke as it was a much smaller unit but that one looks full sized judging by the pic. :wink:

Pete.

Well I reckon it will have had the 680 engine as surely by the time this motor was built no operator in their right mind would have ordered a unit like this with a the Foden two stroke engine,------- would they ? :frowning: Cheers Dennis. :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

image.png
Granted she’s a S39 but definitely had 180 in her if that helps