Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

bubbleman:
Hello again,good answers to Harrys question…the showmen have some good equipment these days,more clippings again,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

The Red House Venturer still exists today:

ATKINSON VENTURER YRF899M by ALAN MARRIOTT, on Flickr

and more recently:
YRF 899M - 1973 Atkinson Venturer 75T by Mark Griffiths, on Flickr

Hello again,heres another bunch of clippings,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

bubbleman:
Hello again,heres another bunch of clippings,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Goodier was a well-respected Preston-based outfit, and who had run Atkinsons for many years:
RBV 405P SA 400 Series by Chris Gardner, on Flickr
RBV 405P SA 400 Series by Chris Gardner, on Flickr
019 - Copy by cheese 1961, on Flickr
GRN 401F Atkinson ‘Gold Knight’ by Chris Gardner, on Flickr
GOODIER by chris.farnah, on Flickr
Atkinson Defender by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

Great shots Chris,heres another one,seen westbound on the A30 in Cornwall,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

bubbleman:
Great shots Chris,heres another one,seen westbound on the A30 in Cornwall,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Splendid! They must have gone down there a lot at some point: when I did a Lands End-John O’Groats Run in 1987, there was one of their trailers dropped off in St Erth

hi all , used to run with goodiers when we were hauling mackeral in tippers out of sutton rd dock & millbay docks in plymouth in the 70s we were banned from all the services on the m5 because of the stink of the blood & water running out the back. mostly went to provimi, hull, a bubbleman pic of my lorry at morgans cafe,

Hello again,a few more clippings ,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Hello again,heres a few more clippings :smiley: ,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

There was an old video made of AR GS International transport with 3 dafs from memory going to Italy ?

DEANB:
There was an old video made of AR GS International transport with 3 dafs from memory going to Italy ?

youtube.com/watch?v=sMDpeNdS4Dg

There you go

Hiya again,more old cuttings,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Hi ,Folks, The Foden o sealand a Populrs motor we Bought it , Cheers Barry

barrywaddy:
Hi ,Folks, The Foden o sealand a Populrs motor we Bought it , Cheers Barry

Now Baz you and your 'owd Fella have bought a few “exotic” motors in your time so what was the spec of this Beauty then ? Cheers Mr. Bewick.

Hi ,Mr B , WE bought g L G 721 k and klg 2 01l ex pops ,also klg 400l ex pouch all 240 GARDENERS 12 SPEED FODEN BOXES ,THE TWO POPS HAD A BAD ATTACK OF TIN WORM ,BUT THE POUCHINS WAS EMAC ALL FROM DADS OLD MATE BILL RATCLIFF ,Cheers Barry

barrywaddy:
Hi ,Mr B , WE bought g L G 721 k and klg 2 01l ex pops ,also klg 400l ex pouch all 240 GARDENERS 12 SPEED FODEN BOXES ,THE TWO POPS HAD A BAD ATTACK OF TIN WORM ,BUT THE POUCHINS WAS EMAC ALL FROM DADS OLD MATE BILL RATCLIFF ,Cheers Barry

I guessed they’d be off Bill ! How did you manage the 12 speed Foden box Baz ? Bit more complicated than the DB 6:600 eh! Cheers Mr. B.

Mr B , WE HAD MANY 12 SPEED S IN 150 180 S ,EVEN 12 SPEED MANUAL WITH TWO LEAVERS ,AND A D /BROWN 10 SPEEED SPLITER BOX ,ALSO A LEYLAND WITH TWO STICKS SPLITTER BOX , THAT CAME FROM YOUR NECK OF THE WOODS , Cheers Barry

Bewick:

barrywaddy:

I guessed they’d be off Bill ! How did you manage the 12 speed Foden box Baz ? Bit more complicated than the DB 6:600 eh! Cheers Mr. B.

Hiya,
Mr B, you’ve never mentioned Foden’s in your posts or have I missed
something, my only drive in the beasts was one of FF Robinsons’s of
Teesside when the driver had gone for his brekkie and it was only
only off the dock to a ■■■■■■■■■■■■, it was one of those half cab jobs
and Dennis hardly a test drive but I could only describe it as similar
to driving a telephone kiosk with a seat, bloody horrible thing in my
opinion, I believe Mr Robinson made a statement at the time stating
his drivers were happy with the things but speaking to the driver he
had a very different view as he said the firms drivers had said that
they were a very uncomfortable and suitable only in rigid form for
trundling around sites and quarries Oh’ the only reason the driver
wasn’t aiding with the unloading it was a crane off job of bags of
dry ice and he wasn’t equipt to handle the stuff so rather than hold
me up should his motor be unloaded before he got back I could
move it off and mine on, mine was all handball as usual, this was
ICI Cricklewood a job I did regular with BRS Blackburn.
thanks harry, long retired.

I remember seeing this motor running around in Norfolk when I was doing traction work for Norfolk Line in the 1980s.

barrywaddy:
Mr B , WE HAD MANY 12 SPEED S IN 150 180 S ,EVEN 12 SPEED MANUAL WITH TWO LEAVERS ,AND A D /BROWN 10 SPEEED SPLITER BOX ,ALSO A LEYLAND WITH TWO STICKS SPLITTER BOX , THAT CAME FROM YOUR NECK OF THE WOODS , Cheers Barry

So come on Baz how did you manage to drive some of these exotic motors with multi gear sticks ? surely you needed 3 arms Mate ? :wink: or you steered with your feet while busy “cog swapping” Never fancied them Baz myself. Cheers Mr. B.

harry_gill:

Bewick:

barrywaddy:

Hiya,
Mr B, you’ve never mentioned Foden’s in your posts or have I missed
something, my only drive in the beasts was one of FF Robinsons’s of
Teesside when the driver had gone for his brekkie and it was only
only off the dock to a ■■■■■■■■■■■■, it was one of those half cab jobs
and Dennis hardly a test drive but I could only describe it as similar
to driving a telephone kiosk with a seat, bloody horrible thing in my
opinion, I believe Mr Robinson made a statement at the time stating
his drivers were happy with the things but speaking to the driver he
had a very different view as he said the firms drivers had said that
they were a very uncomfortable and suitable only in rigid form for
trundling around sites and quarries Oh’ the only reason the driver
wasn’t aiding with the unloading it was a crane off job of bags of
dry ice and he wasn’t equipt to handle the stuff so rather than hold
me up should his motor be unloaded before he got back I could
move it off and mine on, mine was all handball as usual, this was
ICI Cricklewood a job I did regular with BRS Blackburn.
thanks harry, long retired.

Aye “H” they were a rare site up and down the A1, IIRC a local firm based in Carnforth ( R O Hodgson) bought one off F & F IIRC for shunting up and down to Libbys in Milnthorpe and again IIRC it only had a 6LW engine but it may have been a 150 but it was a right ■■■■■■■ abortion and the driver hated it apparently ! Cheers Dennis.