Scania 140,141,142 &143's

This cropped up on one of the other threads:
bigmacktrucks.com/topic/346 … operation/
It is the first time I have heard that Mack had an involvement in the design/development of the DS14. The following page shows that the early 1960s Mack V8 has similar dimensions to the engine Scania launched in 1969:
forums.aths.org/176810/Antique-Engine-specs

Given that those are Mack-oriented websites, I would like to check their assertions- did Mack really supply actual engine blocks to Scania, at any stage? It’s an interesting story, whatever the detail.

One of the sites says that Mack built a total of 32,000 V8s, of several different types. Scania’s 14 litre sold 170,000 units, prior to its eventual replacement, for automotive applications, with the DC16 in 2001. That is another remarkable statistic- the notion that everything is big in America not being true in that case.

[zb]
anorak:
It is the first time I have heard that Mack had an involvement in the design/development of the DS14. The following page shows that the early 1960s Mack V8 has similar dimensions to the engine Scania launched in 1969:

Given that those are Mack-oriented websites, I would like to check their assertions- did Mack really supply actual engine blocks to Scania, at any stage? It’s an interesting story, whatever the detail.

One of the sites says that Mack built a total of 32,000 V8s, of several different types. Scania’s 14 litre sold 170,000 units, prior to its eventual replacement, for automotive applications, with the DC16 in 2001. That is another remarkable statistic- the notion that everything is big in America not being true in that case.

Mack 16,4 liter V8 (Renault Magnum for example) was still based on Scania design, it had same stroke than DS 14 but larger bore and 4 valve heads. 11 liter 6 cylinder Mack was also basicly Scania DS11.

s

Nice 142

V8Lenny:

[zb]
anorak:

Mack 16,4 liter V8 (Renault Magnum for example) was still based on Scania design, it had same stroke than DS 14 but larger bore and 4 valve heads. 11 liter 6 cylinder Mack was also basicly Scania DS11.

The Mack V8 (END 864), with the same dimensions as the DS14, was launched in 1962. The 6 cylinder Mack engine (ENDT 675) was developed from an earlier IDI engne (END 673). Surely the information exchange between the two companies, with regard to the V8s at least, the other way around- Mack did the groundwork, Scania made it good?

Edit- I have read that the END673 (6 in line) engine was developed with Scania’s assistance in the 1950s. Different accounts of the course of events exist. Pat Kennet’s book World Trucks- Scania mentions some of the Mack collaboration, but not the 11/14 litre engines.

Gaydon

Hi all, does anyone have any info on the past life of this 143. Reg no is N448 AAO

l

Photobucket nicked me pics !
So I have re-posted them.

GS OVERLAND:
Heres a photo of my 141 on the TAP Line in Saudi, homeward bound.

SWScan00028.jpg

Another one, different trip.

Same truck before the re-furb.

Nice Gavin! Just keep em coming,cant have enough of them :smiley:
U keping buissie with the diving stuff?

Danne

Hej Danne
Thanks.
Yes still keeping busy with diving etc. How are you ?
I’m heading off to Dubai tomorrow, just a quick trip. :wink:
Best regards.
GS

Hey,

My 86 142 I am restoring in Australia, once restored I will be using it to transport my restored tractors around the country to rally’s. I am also hoping to do some charity runs with it

GCS Johnson’s 141 6x4.

Today in Belgium

Near Mechlin B

CB5EAAF2-CBB7-4A9F-AE8F-4B018FADD308.jpeg

Holland

image.jpg

image.jpg

Scania 143 - (N555CHT):

I saw this parked at a farm in Dover Tasmania.
H…

DSC_0181.JPG

DSC_0182.JPG